Anyone worked at Firth Browns?

Hi Brian.

I recognise the doorway to the old canteen on Saville Street East.

Also the pub at the junction with Princess Street. It's lovely that the buildings still exist.

I preferred the road in 1959 when I started worked at FB. Two way, with the odd bus, tram, lorry limited to 30mph and the occasional car or motorbike and sidecar trundling along. The one way system is like a Formula One start now when the traffic lights up the road change to green. What a racket and dust storm until the red light comes on. Step out at your peril :)

Peter.

http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b547/bkershaw96/OldCanteenSavilleSt-46_zps0d427d46.jpg

To Peter R especially,

You refer to your office through 36 gate. What was your job at this time previous posts refer to crane driving etc. it would seem you started shortly after I left. Entering 36 gate in front of you was the building housing Progress Offices in which worked Roy Harper noted referee in football circles.to the right as you went into the yard was the wooden stair which led to the top corridor also wooden immediate left was the printing room and the two offices housing two brothers. You turned right along the corridor and withi 2 yards was the door to the Commercial Drawing Office where I worked. chief Draughtsman was Norman Wareham

The office also housed the Tyre dept with Mr Shaw and Harry Johnson who was later replaced by Gerald Daniel. Along the corridor you then passed the estimating office where Ken Bagshaw worked he did the photos of our wedding.then came the stairs down to the gents toilets and the filing room etc.the top corridor carried on past the large sales office and then into the directors offices and the stairs down to the main entrance.

Was Mrs Beet and friend still doing tea and toast or buns on the left side of 36 gate as you came in off Savile St.

To Peter R especially,

You refer to your office through 36 gate. What was your job at this time previous posts refer to crane driving etc. it would seem you started shortly after I left. Entering 36 gate in front of you was the building housing Progress Offices in which worked Roy Harper noted referee in football circles.to the right as you went into the yard was the wooden stair which led to the top corridor also wooden immediate left was the printing room and the two offices housing two brothers. You turned right along the corridor and withi 2 yards was the door to the Commercial Drawing Office where I worked. chief Draughtsman was Norman Wareham

The office also housed the Tyre dept with Mr Shaw and Harry Johnson who was later replaced by Gerald Daniel. Along the corridor you then passed the estimating office where Ken Bagshaw worked he did the photos of our wedding.then came the stairs down to the gents toilets and the filing room etc.the top corridor carried on past the large sales office and then into the directors offices and the stairs down to the main entrance.

Was Mrs Beet and friend still doing tea and toast or buns on the left side of 36 gate as you came in off Savile St.

Hi hendon,

I can follow you precisely round your route. Lovely to hear from someone who knows this. I started in Progress and Planning as office junior in Feb.1959.

Roy Harper sadly died on the pitch at an early age I understand. I remember Mr Wareham. In 1961 I moved into Bob Keyworth's job in Forgings Sales on the upstairs corridor you mention, then left to work at Sheffield Smelting Co. in 1963. Went back to FB in 1964 as chargehand in Central Warehouse. This was mainly clerical work and I gained the crane driving licence in order to stand in if the regular driver didn't turn up. Finally left FB in 1966. Can't remember any tea and toast inside 36 gate.. Was sent to Norfolk Bridge shops to buy dripping cakes etc. in my time as junior.

Where did you work?

I have an old photo taken in around 1957 inside Progress and Planning and know all the people on it. Let me know if you would like me to pm you.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter R,

Further to yours.

I was office boy in the Commercial Drawing Office which lasted for one year, then started training on the drawing board and going to Pond St Tech 3/4 times a week at night for my National Certificate.

I was called up at 18 and so I could choose an occupation I signed on for 3 years in the RAF as a general Mechanic. I returned to my drawing board which looked out into Savile Street (still there) in July of 1954. I met my wife Rena who worked in the typing pool shortly after and we married in 1956 and in 1959 I joined Tinsley Wire Industries as Designer Draughtsman.then when I saw the way heavy industry was going downhill in Sheffield I left and went into Banking.

Mrs Beet who did the tea etc was probably before your time.

I am sorry I cannot recall any of your colleagues in Progress.

Now midnight so will leave it there for now,

Regards, Dan H.

Hi Peter R,

Further to yours.

I was office boy in the Commercial Drawing Office which lasted for one year, then started training on the drawing board and going to Pond St Tech 3/4 times a week at night for my National Certificate.

I was called up at 18 and so I could choose an occupation I signed on for 3 years in the RAF as a general Mechanic. I returned to my drawing board which looked out into Savile Street (still there) in July of 1954. I met my wife Rena who worked in the typing pool shortly after and we married in 1956 and in 1959 I joined Tinsley Wire Industries as Designer Draughtsman.then when I saw the way heavy industry was going downhill in Sheffield I left and went into Banking.

Mrs Beet who did the tea etc was probably before your time.

I am sorry I cannot recall any of your colleagues in Progress.

Now midnight so will leave it there for now,

Regards, Dan H.

Thanks for that Dan.

My desk also looked out over Savile Street. Forgings Sales office was near to the covered bridge which now no longer exists

During my two years in that office I would either use a 'Dictaphone' or ring down to the typing pool for a shorthand typist. I particularly remember Anne Proudlove but probably your wife would not have known her as it would seem that I am 10 years before you. :)

Regards, Peter.

If anyones interested the melting shop reunion is on monday 29th dec. at the trades and labour club, duke st--1pm -3pm

Hi Brian.

Also the pub at the junction with Princess Street. It's lovely that the buildings still exist.

I preferred the road in 1959 when I started worked at FB. Two way, with the odd bus, tram, lorry limited to 30mph and the occasional car or motorbike and sidecar trundling along. The one way system is like a Formula One start now when the traffic lights up the road change to green. What a racket and dust storm until the red light comes on. Step out at your peril :)

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6089814561139573217/6089814568771093698?pid=6089814568771093698&oid=104790896216727717625

Hi Peter, hope you get this picture 5 ton Hammer.

The 5 Ton steam hammer was used for steel rings, Built 1947, by Brightside- Engineering.

Edited by brian1941
Wording

Hi Brian,

Yes, I always have a glance at this when I drive through the traffic lights at the junction of Savile Street and Sutherland road.

Which gate was it originally situated and did you work in that shop?

Peter.

Hi Brian.

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6090084204629751265/6090084208535374130?pid=6090084208535374130&oid=104790896216727717625

And another pic for you

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 14:08 ----------

Thanks for that Dan.

My desk also looked out over Savile Street. Forgings Sales office was near to the covered bridge which now no longer exists

During my two years in that office I would either use a 'Dictaphone' or ring down to the typing pool for a shorthand typist. I particularly remember Anne Proudlove but probably your wife would not have known her as it would seem that I am 10 years before you. :)

Regards, Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6090094008596456097/6090094010776525298?pid=6090094010776525298&oid=104790896216727717625

Hi Peter, Hope your liking these pics, still having lessons. so will keep sending a couple

---------- Post added 07-12-2014 at 14:22 ----------

Hi Brian,

Yes, I always have a glance at this when I drive through the traffic lights at the junction of Savile Street and Sutherland road.

Peter.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104790896216727717625/albums/6090098955340648177/6090098957733106258?pid=6090098957733106258&oid=104790896216727717625

Well Peter, this might be last pic for a while have got to go- take care

Edited by brian1941
wording

I always like pics of FB Brian.

On the first pic Norroy Street is junction just out of pic foreground left where the turn arrow road marking is. The block foreground right (Savile Street East} is currently President Buildings. Was FB head office in my time in the late fifties early sixties. My desk was at the side of the window foreground top floor. At the end of the block was Main Entrance with the lovely marble and wood paneling which was demolished. Just beyond that was Siemens shop.

On the second pic, which appears from the cars to have been taken in the 1970's, can be seen the same block but also 36 gate and buildings to the right of it, both of which are just out of shot behind camera on pic 1.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

Peter.

Hiya Peter, just getting to put writing to the pictures i sent you on Sunday,

some infor on the 5 Ton hammer further back.

I worked 40 gate south treatment on Saville st.

Can you remember the rolling mill at the junction of Saville st and Sunderland rd, it was No1 Gate it was on

the left going over the Bridge towards Carlisle st.

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 14:48 ----------

I always like pics of FB Brian.

On the first pic Norroy Street is junction just out of pic foreground left where the turn arrow road marking is. The block foreground right (Savile Street East} is currently President Buildings. Was FB head office in my time in the late fifties early sixties. My desk was at the side of the window foreground top floor. At the end of the block was Main Entrance with the lovely marble and wood paneling which was demolished. Just beyond that was Siemens shop.

On the second pic, which appears from the cars to have been taken in the 1970's, can be seen the same block but also 36 gate and buildings to the right of it, both of which are just out of shot behind camera on pic 1.[/quote

-----------------

Hello Peter, That tall building on the left at top of Saville St, i

remember going upstairs regarding wages them it moved to the

lower building next door outside which now has gone.

The tall Biulding was known as Don Valley Builing.

Hope your well, Brian.

Edited by brian1941
Wording