Swimming baths in sheffield

Anyone remember Herbert the pool attendant at Upperthorpe Baths in the 1950s, also Mr Price the swimming instructor?

Mr Price or Captain Price as he liked to be called taught me and all the Hillfoot scruffs how to swim back in the 50s,he was a formidable chap you didn,t mess around with him no sir!.He used to carry a plimsole with him, on your appearance to the swimming baths you stepped into a foot bath full of a dark coloured concoction and then queued up at the diving board for foot inspection.Woe betide you if you had dirty feet or worst still verucas as the plimsole would sweep down in a swift arcing motion onto your tender buttocks very painfully!.If you survived the lesson began,after you could do a breadth you tried for your 25yards ,50yards then the 100yards certificate!.You learned to swim very quickly with Captain Price as his favourite practice was to walk down the poolside holding a brush handle just out of reach in front of you in case after swallowing half the pool you went to the bottom,still I couldn,t wait for the next weeks lesson,happy days long gone!

Edited by old tup
missed a word

Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo showing the Corporation Street baths building..:)

--------------

Like that picture hillsbrough, I passed them bath for many years as

I worked at W A Tysacks on Alma St.

Keep up the good work putting pics on threads.

Here is a link to a picturesheffield.com photo showing the Corporation Street baths building..:)

I learnt to swim at Corporation Street Baths in the early1940s, when Herbert Morton was manager. It was always clean back then. The pool was 16.666 yards long but only 5ft-6in at the deep end (so called). Part of the outer wall of the "baths" was there for a long time after the building came down.

The real purpose of the building was to provide "bathing"(slipper bath) facilities for all the folks who lived in the Woodside, Harvest Lane and Wicker areas and didn't have bathrooms of their own. (Some didn't even have toilets back then but that's another story).

The pool was an add-on where folks could learn to swim. It didn't pretend to be anything else.

Regards

Edited by Falls

Hi Brian1941 and Falls - I never went into the Corporation Street baths building, but I remember it well and it always seemed a shame to me that it was demolished. Sheffield lost a great many buildings that had real "character" before the conservation movement really got going (another example was the old corn exchange).

Yes, slipper baths. I was 30 before I lived in a house with a bathroom, and visits to the slipper baths at Hillsborough were a regular occurrence. The building has a new lease of life as a Wetherspoons pub. The railiings at first floor level (visible in this photo) are still there, as is the main pool, now empty of course and under the pub floor.

I used to live on Obourne St. Pitsmoor and as children we used to go to use the slipper baths at Corporation St.We had no indoor plumbing and went there on special occasions as it took such a long time and a lot of effort to heat enough water for the whole family to bathe [ always on a friday night]. The pub next door was the Brown Cow and next to that was the post office .

I was born in Pitsmoor and used these baths regularly in the 1940s and early 1950s. I have a photograph taken inside Corporation Street baths from those days.

Does anyone recognise anybody in it.

Click on link below.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/19656/20141122-ahor-311kb

And this link

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/19656/20141122-84bi-196kb

Edited by NARMI

In learnt to swim in Corporation Street Baths in the late 50's taught by a Mr Baker, father of a friend and Secretary of the ROF Sports Club. A group of us used to go every Tuesday night and then to the pub.

Anyone remember Herbert the pool attendant at Upperthorpe Baths in the 1950s, also Mr Price the swimming instructor?

hiya, could this be peter price by any chance as he was my school teacher at springfield school he was our swimming teacher at glossop rd baths along side mr wall, this was in the early 50s,the last time i saw mr wall he was on his way to heeley baths,

We used to go to Heeley baths in the 60s as a happy gang of young teens, and got free entry for the next session if we cleaned the sides! Then we'd bog off to Tony's Sarsaparilla Bar on Abbeydale Rd! Magic!

When we was at school used to go to attercliffe baths every Friday

Can still remember the bloke who took the lesson Mr metam used to have a long window pole what he would tap you on the head with if your strokes was wrong

Used to hate it ,at attercliffe baths people would go for showers as in them days

People only had the tin baths