Sheffield Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Group

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know there's a Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Group that meets on the 1st and 3rd Monday of the month at the Old Queens Head pub (in the dining area). Usual start at 7.30pm.

We have a good cross section of folk, some hard sf and some more interested in what science can be used for in narrative. We also have dark fantasy, sword and sandal fantasy and even a couple of 'young adult' writers too.

If you'd like to join us we'd be happy to see you, we're an open friendly bunch and we do have a presence on facebook too, shouldn't be hard to find us on there.

So if you're working on an Epic and would like some honest and friendly feedback come and join us on a Monday evening (next one is the 20th August).

Yours Ghosthare22

Is it just for writers?

(I'm an SF fan. Fave authors are Harlan Ellison, Isaac Asimov, John Wyndham, and loads more. But I don't write.)

Unfortunately yes it is but we do have social evenings too, usually on Sundays if we can all make it but there is a Sheffield Science Fiction meeting every third Sunday at Sheffield Tap (the one in the Train Station). Some big names from local fandom and their not a bad bunch of folks to have a natter with over a pint.

Have a look online/ facebook for Sheffield Science Fiction Group, you should find them. Hope to have helped.

Looks good, I see there is more than one sheffield science fiction and fantasy writers groups, are they seperate entities?

Not sure about that lol....we've been going for a while and I know people have put up several things online so it may be all us.

We meet every 1st and 3rd Monday to read and review what we've written so far, anyone is welcome to come along and share work and get an honest caring review. We don't think it's funny to rip peoples work apart or people themselves, we've all had experience of this in the past and we don't like it. Everyone has a voice and a story and we're willing to hear them.

Our next meeting is on the 20th, so if you have work to read or would like an open opinion on your current work come on down and join us, I think you'll like us.

I have a few bits of writing, nothing worth printing yet but some good ideas for books and screen plays etc, I could do with help on different styles of writing as I am a writing novice. Is this frowned upon or welcomed? I am also currently looking for a creative writing course that will aid me with my writing styles.

Hey we welcome everyone! Beginners to published folk, plus we have people who go to the many writing groups in Sheffield who may be able to help you find the group your looking for. Or you might hear the style you want to try, come along and bring your ideas, we'll help if we can.

Hello,

I used to see Adverts for this up when I went to the old Queen's Head. As an aspiring writer I was wondering if this was still happening, either there or in some other format.

Thanks.

I'd like to come along sometime soon, as I'm currently halfway through an urban fantasy novel which combines sci-fi with comedy, crime and a lot of other things.

Is the Sci-fi group still meeting every 1st and 3rd Monday then?

Hello Everyone,

The writers group has moved pubs and we're now at the Three Tuns every first and third Monday, we're still open to newcomers and we'd love to hear your work. Our meetings start at 7.30pm and finish whenever everyone has read and we've finished discussing things.

Hope to see you there.