Sick of Speeding Motorists

I'm not trying to be awkward, but that's not proof.

Being overtaken while breaking the speed limit, is not proof that other drivers are breaking the speed limit? :huh:

Everyone knows that speed is very rarely the cause of an accident. Too many people, though, forget that impact energy increases as the square of velocity; a 40mph crash is nine times more energetic than a 20mph crash, for instance.

Maths really isn't your strong point is it. If you're going to try and introduce facts into the thread, at least make sure they're correct.

A car travelling at 40 mph has four times as much energy as one travelling at 20 mph.

Speed limits are merely a guide line. It is important that people drive safely, but as in all things, some are more competent than others and so can drive safely at higher speeds. So long as people know how fast they can drive safely , the speed limit is not so important.

Being overtaken while breaking the speed limit, is not proof that other drivers are breaking the speed limit? :huh:

Someone posting such a thing on a public forum is not, no. if it was every legal case in every land would contain the testimony of a single witness. How do we know he was breaking the speed limit? I'm just bringing it up because a lot of certainties get thrown around on here when discussing something.

If he was breaking the speed limit and was overtaken then this would be proof, but just claiming it is not.

Someone posting such a thing on a public forum is not, no. if it was every legal case in every land would contain the testimony of a single witness. How do we know he was breaking the speed limit? I'm just bringing it up because a lot of certainties get thrown around on here when discussing something.

If he was breaking the speed limit and was overtaken then this would be proof, but just claiming it is not.

Therefore every single thread on this forum is riddled with discussions based on unproven statements. Fair comment. Let's all get on with our lives and do something useful!!

Therefore every single thread on this forum is riddled with discussions based on unproven statements. Fair comment. Let's all get on with our lives and do something useful!!

Agreed, lets get on with it and avoid calling things proof which clearly aren't proof

Maths really isn't your strong point is it. If you're going to try and introduce facts into the thread, at least make sure they're correct.

A car travelling at 40 mph has four times as much energy as one travelling at 20 mph.

Gaah ... it used to be my strong point, but as you get old your concentration goes.

I do actually know that two squared is four, but daft mistakes like this just get more common. Thanks for the catch. :hihi:

Speed limits are merely a guide line..

Not true. They are a law.

Someone posting such a thing on a public forum is not, no.

But the fact that it happens, is.

If you want to call him a liar, have the guts to do so openly and then we can get on with the thread.

Not true. They are a law.

Rules like laws are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Some people are far better drivers than others and should regard the speed limits merely as a guideline. It does not matter if they speed just so long as they drive safely.:)

But the fact that it happens, is.

If you want to call him a liar, have the guts to do so openly and then we can get on with the thread.

I'm not calling him a liar, I'm simply saying that it isn't proof. Surely you can see that now.

Rules like laws are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. Some people are far better drivers than others and should regard the speed limits merely as a guideline. It does not matter if they speed just so long as they drive safely.:)

So... have you used that defence in court? I'm fairy certain it wouldn't fly, however "competent" a driver anyone is.