Sheffield Forum

New phone scam.please read

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

24-10-2016, 13:34   #1
euclid

Total Posts: 513
This morning I had a phone call (recorded) from someone saying they were from H.M.R.C. and to quote:- "A case has
been opened against you regarding your taxes,to speak to your "case officer" press one"....obviously I didn't.....As I had just paid my "self assessment" taxes I did find it a bit worrying even if unbelievable as it was obviously a scam..press 1 and it will cost a fortune....I rang H.M.R.C. to report it and they informed me all was OK...and to report it to the police..which I did,apparrently I am not the only one to have received it....the number that rang me was..
00441618503938...a Manchester one...forewarned is forearmed......
24-10-2016, 19:44   #2
cgksheff

Total Posts: 22,177
Pressing '1' will not cost you anything.
Believing and responding to what you are told after talking to a fraudster after pressing '1', could lead to major problems.
_______
The 'avatar' that you see with the SF letters and the circle (regardless of colours) has copyright established since 2004.
24-10-2016, 20:15   #3
martin6

Total Posts: 296
Anyone in the world can buy a virtual number anywhere in the UK, the 0161 number probably bears no resemblance to the originator of the call.

I'm starting to get ppi/ crash claims from new 0114 4 numbers.
24-10-2016, 22:30   #4
Fudbeer

Total Posts: 3,513
I get so many scam calls I only answer now if I know the number or am expecting a call.

If someone wants me they can leave a message.

Be aware some of these callers are very convincing and have well rehearsed answers to every objection you come up with,sadly they prey on the old and vulnerable.
16-03-2017, 11:22   #5
Phili Buster

Total Posts: 695
Just had a call from a guy at BT to inform me that my internet connection will be disconnected for the next seven days. However he stated that he would be able to talk me through the details of how to solve this problem, I just had to connect my computer to the internet and . . .

I stopped him at this point and asked a few questions, at which point he put the phone down. Mind you it might have been the sharp blasts from the whistle that did it

It is so caring of BT to be concerned about my internet connection. In fact I didn't know that BT did technical support for Virgin broadband, still you learn something new every day

It did cross my mind that this just may have been a scam so be careful out there everyone. You may be getting a call soon from this very helpful guy from BT

Oh, just remembered, it is a withheld number but as most doctors and hospitals seem to use withheld numbers now it was not a call I could ignore.

Last edited by Phili Buster; 16-03-2017 at 11:24.
16-03-2017, 14:09   #6
TORONTONY

Total Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phili Buster View Post
Just had a call from a guy at BT to inform me that my internet connection will be disconnected for the next seven days. However he stated that he would be able to talk me through the details of how to solve this problem, I just had to connect my computer to the internet and . . .

I stopped him at this point and asked a few questions, at which point he put the phone down. Mind you it might have been the sharp blasts from the whistle that did it

It is so caring of BT to be concerned about my internet connection. In fact I didn't know that BT did technical support for Virgin broadband, still you learn something new every day

It did cross my mind that this just may have been a scam so be careful out there everyone. You may be getting a call soon from this very helpful guy from BT

Oh, just remembered, it is a withheld number but as most doctors and hospitals seem to use withheld numbers now it was not a call I could ignore.
My wife almost fell to one of the internet scammers. He said he was from
Microsoft, and froze our computer from where ever he was. The trick is you feel you have to follow his steps , but don't, they are after access to your files. If this happens , unplug your computer and re start it, they will move on to the next victim.
I have also had the phone scam from supposedly Canada Revenue Agency, which I ignored. I found out the call was from a Minnesota area code lol
16-03-2017, 17:31   #7
Mikes10

Total Posts: 1,384
Try the fraud defence test, its a bit clunky, the site was probably designed by an 8 year old.

https://frauddefencetest.com/
_______
Mike

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive if your car could go straight upwards." Fred Hoyle, English astronomer and physicist. 1915 - 2001
16-03-2017, 18:21   #8
gomgeg

Total Posts: 821
Quote:

We had a call a few weeks ago from someone who said he was from BT saying there was a problem with the internet. I normally tell them to go away and make love, this time I just put the phone down and rang BT, they had no record of the call but said they do occasionally ring customers about problems, she also said I'd done the right thing in ringing them if there was any doubt.
17-03-2017, 06:32   #9
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,703
Latest one I had was just over a week ago. The phone rang and I answered then there was a bit of a pause, and background noise like it was coming from a call centre, then this female voice started up and said...

"Hullo, I'm calling on behalf of the Government...

at which point I became immediately suspicious because the way this girl spoke, for a start, didn't sound very "official" or even (dare I say it?) "educated". She had a broad local accent.

Then she goes on to say - "Am I speaking to the house owner?" At which point I lied and said "yes" - because I'm not the house owner - I just pay the mortgage here - the house is owned by Santander.

She said, "Can I just confirm that you are under 75 years of age?" And I lied again and said "No, I'm not love, sorry" .

She then says: "Are you over 75?" and I said "yes" - and she says, "well, you don't sound it" and then she asks if there's anyone else in the home under 75 and I say "no". The phone goes down immediately and that was that.

It was something to do with home improvements. Maybe glazing or solar panels or cavity wall insulation or something like that.

They are only interested if they think they can get money out of you and it's nothing to do with the government at all of course.
20-03-2017, 23:21   #10
Margarita Ma

Total Posts: 951
I had one a few days ago saying he was calling from Microsoft Windows. They must have very small windows and think we are all soft.
_______
Do as you would be done by, or be done by as you did.
20-03-2017, 23:28   #11
pattricia
Miss Moneypenny

Total Posts: 75,226
Quote:

I had exactly the same phone call. When I rang BT to report it they didn't seem at all concerned. Just told me to put the phone down on them. Why cannot BT trace these scammers ?
_______
I Dont Mind Having A Bad Reputation --As Long As Ive Had The Pleasure Of Earning It.
21-03-2017, 09:48   #12
WasThatWise

Total Posts: 802
The ability to use a fake number should be stopped and made illegal, caller display should be made a free service, only then will we be able to make inroads into phone scams.
_______
Don't confuse my asking your opinion with my valuing your opinion.
21-03-2017, 11:33   #13
StarvingMe

Total Posts: 7
Unfortunately that's just how it is these days, sad but true. Its like there is a scam relating to everything nowadays.

Watch out for the gym scam! I had someone call up wanting to update my payment details for my gym membership, I'd never heard of the gym I apparently had a membership to so it was obviously a scam attempt. But if they do find out some of the big gym names in Sheffield I'm sure a few people will end up falling for it.
21-03-2017, 11:49   #14
Jacktari

Total Posts: 897
get BT Call Protect. It is free and easy to use.
They have a data base of black listed numbers which you can add automatically, and you just add all calls of this nature to it.

We were getting about 20 calls a day from those sources (usually based in the sub-continent, or fake local numbers) a few months ago, that has reduced to about one per week.
Reply To Topic