No planning permission - consequences?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

14-03-2017, 12:13   #21
poppet2

Total Posts: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Ma View Post
What is your interest in this Poppet2? Is your house attached to the one that has been altered ?
Yes, I'm afraid so.

---------- Post added 14-03-2017 at 12:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
Yes correct it does but the seller has to reduce price by a few thousand not a few hundred as it would cost to obtain planning etc not notyfying the freeholder of any thing can cost a couple of thousand alone not worth the agro walk away i would his mess let him sort it
But if the new buyer goes ahead and tries to sort it out, even with indemnity insurance, is there a chance the council could still refuse the alterations even under restrospective planning permission, and demand the property be returned to its original state?

Last edited by poppet2; 14-03-2017 at 12:21.
14-03-2017, 13:34   #22
mafya

Total Posts: 7,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppet2 View Post
Yes, I'm afraid so.

But if the new buyer goes ahead and tries to sort it out, even with indemnity insurance, is there a chance the council could still refuse the alterations even under restrospective planning permission, and demand the property be returned to its original state?
Is the work causing any damage to your house or are you just wanting to snitch on your neighbour?
14-03-2017, 17:32   #23
poppet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafya View Post
Is the work causing any damage to your house or are you just wanting to snitch on your neighbour?
Yes.
Why? Do you believe that people should flout planning permission? Isn't that why planning rules exist, to protect other people's property, in addition to one's own? Why bother have any laws in society if people refuse to obey them. I notice you disagreed with someone burning garden rubbish, which was against council bye-laws, on another thread today, yet this is far more serious.

Last edited by poppet2; 14-03-2017 at 20:00.
14-03-2017, 18:29   #24
spider1

Total Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid so.

You would to ask them that but it wouldnt be the first time they have made someone pull a house down built without planning
14-03-2017, 20:28   #25
mafya

Quote:
Yes.
Why? Do you believe that people should flout planning permission? Isn't that why planning rules exist, to protect other people's property, in addition to one's own? Why bother have any laws in society if people refuse to obey them. I notice you disagreed with someone burning garden rubbish, which was against council bye-laws, on another thread today, yet this is far more serious.
Calm down I was asking to see what the problem was and no I don't believe people should flout planning laws and by the way some work comes under permitted development and doesn't need planning.
Report the matter to planning enforcement and let them deal with it if it is in breach of planning, you have to fill a form out online and they will keep your details confidential= https://service.sheffield.gov.uk/sel...ingEnforcement
20-03-2017, 19:02   #26
property4u

Total Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
What for deliberatly not informing council you are doing building work i dont think so
Yes, that's exactly what it's for.....and I know of a planning officer who has recently done that before selling their house......who needs an architect or to follow the rules.....no one seems bothered :-(
20-03-2017, 22:04   #27
poppet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Shaw View Post
Also: one can purchase Indemnity Insurance (for a small one-off premium) to protect against the risk of future enforcement.
Could Indemnity Insurance help you if you bought this property from this man?

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/legal-u...054271.article
20-03-2017, 22:10   #28
Cyclone

Total Posts: 67,197
An example of the terms (and coverage) of a policy

http://www.gcs-title.co.uk/instant-i...ng-permission/

It covers very specific things, changes, extensions. Not the entire building existing without PP and an enforcement order for it to be removed already existing.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
22-03-2017, 07:53   #29
Margarita Ma

Total Posts: 952
Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid so.
How is the work affecting your property poppet2. Has the work breached the party wall, or is there something else that is concerning you?

People on here using the word snitch is very childish and bullying behaviour.
_______
Do as you would be done by, or be done by as you did.

Last edited by nikki-red; 22-03-2017 at 22:04. Reason: fixed the quote
22-03-2017, 10:28   #30
El Cid

Total Posts: 6,561
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid so.
Quote:
How is the work affecting your property poppet2. Has the work breached the party wall, or is there something else that is concerning you?

My team leader was called a jobsworth the other day, its just a word, some people like rules/laws to be followed, some think that they dont apply to them.

Last edited by nikki-red; 22-03-2017 at 22:05. Reason: fixed the quote
22-03-2017, 11:37   #31
mafya

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid so.
Quote:

My bold=
No it isn't childish or bullying seeing as I'm the one who used the word so keep your insults to yourself.

Last edited by nikki-red; 22-03-2017 at 22:06. Reason: fixed the quote
22-03-2017, 12:00   #32
Cyclone

Snitch is a pejorative term aimed at stopping people from reporting crimes or criticising people who do report them. (Crimes or breaches of things like planning law).
_______
22-03-2017, 15:09   #33
mafya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Snitch is a pejorative term aimed at stopping people from reporting crimes or criticising people who do report them. (Crimes or breaches of things like planning law).
It wasn't meant in a pejorative way, I asked poppet why she wanted to know about this situation and wether it was because her property was damaged or if she wanted to * ( insert acceptable word ) * on her neighbour.
22-03-2017, 16:09   #34
poppet2

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I'm afraid so.
Quote:

A build up of damp has now occurred on the party wall.

Quote:

My bold=
No it isn't childish or bullying seeing as I'm the one who used the word so keep your insults to yourself.
Mafya, what would you do in my situation?
There is a lot of retrospective planning that people seem to rely on these days, but is that a guarantee people will get it? It seems an easy way out.

Last edited by nikki-red; 22-03-2017 at 22:08. Reason: fixed the quote
22-03-2017, 16:25   #35
ricgem2002

Total Posts: 8,325
let us know the outcome when you report this to the council
22-03-2017, 21:49   #36
Margarita Ma

Quote:

My bold=
Snitch is an insult to someone who blows the whistle on another person or group that they believe is doing something wrong. Generally something that can be or is harmful to themselves or others.

More than you has used the word. You need to work on smoothing that chip off your shoulder.

Without doubt if I believed the work is affecting my property I would get on to planning and building regs. He may not have needed planning permission as there was no extension involved but Building regs. should have been involved to make sure the work was carried out to acceptable specs and to make sure The sort of problem you are experiencing did not happen. For instance the inspector may have ensured a tray was inserted at an appropriate place in the damp proofing course.
_______

Last edited by nikki-red; 22-03-2017 at 22:08. Reason: fixed the quote
22-03-2017, 22:08   #37
Cyclone

Quote:
It wasn't meant in a pejorative way, I asked poppet why she wanted to know about this situation and wether it was because her property was damaged or if she wanted to * ( insert acceptable word ) * on her neighbour.
The way it's phrased (even now) is that if her property isn't damaged then she's being a bad person by reporting it.
But on the contrary, we have planning laws for good reason and they are only enforceable if the council are made aware of breaches of them.
_______
22-03-2017, 22:40   #38
Margarita Ma

Quote:
Snitch is an insult to someone who blows the whistle on another person or group that they believe is doing something wrong. Generally something that can be or is harmful to themselves or others.

More than you has used the word. You need to work on smoothing that chip off your shoulder.

Poppet2. Without doubt if I believed the work is affecting my property I would get on to planning and building regs. He may not have needed planning permission as there was no extension involved but Building regs. should have been involved to make sure the work was carried out to acceptable specs and to make sure The sort of problem you are experiencing did not happen. For instance the inspector may have ensured a tray was inserted at an appropriate place in the damp proofing course.
Something going wrong here I came back to the thread to edit my post to include Poppet 2 in the second para and saw that there was supposedly an edit on my post by nikki red Ehhhh. What's going on?
_______
22-03-2017, 22:48   #39
medusa
mostly here

Admin Team
Total Posts: 35,924
Quote:
Something going wrong here I came back to the thread to edit my post to include Poppet 2 in the second para and saw that there was supposedly an edit on my post by nikki red Ehhhh. What's going on?
Your quote tags were broken so the quote didn't actually appear as a proper quote. We routinely fix the tags so that it displays properly if we see it because if your post is then quoted then that screws it up still further and creates further moderating headaches.

EDIT- if you look, Nikki edited mafya's post further up as well, which is what had the tags broken in the first place, meaning that when you quoted it, characters were missing. Fixing it down the page makes it all look nice and not screw up again when quoted.
_______
'Turn you inside out and lick you like a crisp packet.'

Last edited by medusa; 22-03-2017 at 22:50.
23-03-2017, 00:18   #40
mafya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
The way it's phrased (even now) is that if her property isn't damaged then she's being a bad person by reporting it.
But on the contrary, we have planning laws for good reason and they are only enforceable if the council are made aware of breaches of them.
I didn't say she was a bad person so don't know how you come to that conclusion.

---------- Post added 23-03-2017 at 00:21 ----------

Quote:

Without doubt if I believed the work is affecting my property I would get on to planning and building regs. He may not have needed planning permission as there was no extension involved but Building regs. should have been involved to make sure the work was carried out to acceptable specs and to make sure The sort of problem you are experiencing did not happen. For instance the inspector may have ensured a tray was inserted at an appropriate place in the damp proofing course.
My bold=
I have a chapatti on my shoulder and not a chip thank you.

---------- Post added 23-03-2017 at 00:29 ----------

Quote:
A build up of damp has now occurred on the party wall.

Mafya, what would you do in my situation?
There is a lot of retrospective planning that people seem to rely on these days, but is that a guarantee people will get it? It seems an easy way out.
The reason I asked you if the work was affecting your property was then I would be able to give you an appropriate answer but the word police have got on my case in regards to using the phrase "snitch".
I didn't intend the word in a perjorative or insulting way it is just how I speak.
In your situation I would get the building regs and council involved without hesitation as it is affecting your property and I would also do the same if it was my property.
If the work wasn't affecting your property and wasn't likely to in any way then I would have said that I personally would leave it and let the owner find out himself when he/she comes to sell the place and it gets brought up in the survey.

Last edited by mafya; 23-03-2017 at 00:31.
Reply To Topic