Call the midwife

Anyone watch this last night?

It's based on the book, which I have but haven't read it yet.

Thoughts? I personally think its going to be a hit.

Anyone watch this last night?

It's based on the book, which I have but haven't read it yet.

Thoughts? I personally think its going to be a hit.

I really enjoyed it, but I've a feeling it's going to take a sharp nosedive when that comedien come actress enters at the next episode. She will be what Jar-Jar Binks was to Star Wars. I guess we'll have to see and hope she doesn't ruin it.

I have read the book a number of times and love it, i think the program so far has done it justice and lived up to the images created through the words of Jennifer. Cant wait to see next weeks :)

I enjoyed it too.

Have not read the book though.

I haven't seen it, but I must confess I'm put off by the fact it's going to have Miranda Hart in it. I think she's hugely overrated...

I haven't seen it, but I must confess I'm put off by the fact it's going to have Miranda Hart in it. I think she's hugely overrated...

I've read the book and the TV adaptation is as true as it could be evoking images from that period. I also don't like Miranda Hart but, having read the character in the book I think she may be a very good "Chummy" who was a character of large proportions who seemed to be totally unsuited to the job of midwife but yet, filled the role admirably.

I was disappointed with the non appearance of the wonderful Miranda Hart in the first episode.It can only get better with her arrival next week.

I believe that next week it is followed by the BBC adaptation of Birdsong which will be either wonderful or a complete disapointment.I can't see it being anywhere in the middle.

couldn't agree more re Miranda Hart, but I'm hoping that she performs better not having centre stage - besides, from the trailers, it looks like her character is going to be a fish out of water on a steep learning curve, which her woodenness will be appropriate for

The first episode was good, but some of the over-explaining that went on was slightly tedious - though I suppose was necessary for viewers at least as young as me

I really enjoyed the first episode. Started off a little slow but these things usually do. Looking forward to next weeks!

I've read the book and the TV adaptation is as true as it could be evoking images from that period. I also don't like Miranda Hart but, having read the character in the book I think she may be a very good "Chummy" who was a character of large proportions who seemed to be totally unsuited to the job of midwife but yet, filled the role admirably.

I think that she is perfect for the role, in demeanor as well as stature.

I've read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It made me cry in a couple of places - one of which was the Len and Conchita story, which was very well realised on screen.

I thought the whole thing was very well done and made excellent Sunday evening telly. The only note which really jarred with me was the outdoor dockside and street scenes - everywhere looked far too clean! Even the clothes of the street kids looks like they'd just come out of a Persil wash; no horse dung, no litter...to clean and shiny looking by far. And I'm sure that pea-souper could have been so much better what with all the special effects technology we've got these days. In the book, it's 'can't see your hand in front of your face' stuff. On screen it's barely more than a light mist.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to Miranda Hart with great interest. She intrigues me. She has an 'oddness' and otherness about her that appeals to me and I enjoyed the programme she did with Bear Grylls in the Swiss Alps.