The Bernard Manning debate

This could open a can of worms..........but here goes.

Sheffield wednesday's 'wednesday against racism' group kicked up a fuss because wednesday had booked bernard manning to do a spot during an evening dinner they had organised.

i personally have seen bernard manning on several occasions and enjoyed it each time....('Q' THE 'RACIST... MUTTERINGS).

(even travelling to his world famous embassy club on 2 occasions)

ok so he tells jokes about black's and asian's....BUT he also tells jokes about fat people,thin people,people with glasses,people with limps,white people,chinese people,bald people,...in fact he tells jokes about just about anyone and everyone !!

i think the biggest problem with some people today is their lack of sense of humour,and in some people's case their new found obsession with being politically correct !

i say...... "enjoy jokes for what they are....JOKES"

(this post has been made by a fat,bald,unfit,contact lens wearing man with a bad back.........who incidently IS NOT A RACIST !!!!).

I'll concede that the fat oaf can be genuinely funny sometimes but, like that other racist, alleged comedian Jim Davidson, he panders to the Sun reader mentality who really believe the material in the jokes to be fact.

So, ultimately, Manning and his ilk simply perpetuate racism, homophobia etc

I'm slightly ignorant toward Mr. Manning. I know he tells racist jokes, but I've never actually heard any of them. Could someone PM me (if such jokes are verboten, even in this context) or post a link to some examples. This way I can be informed before jumping in with righteous indignation ;)

Sue

The Bernard Manning protest originated on Owlstalk (http://www.owlstalk.co.uk) after it was revealed that SWFC were due to book Bernard for an evening down at Hillsborough. Owlstalk was then assisted by WISA (wednesday independant supporters association) in protesting against the event.

This event was viewed by many fans to undermine seriously all the work that the Owls Against Racism (OAR) team had done over the last year to bring together all communities under the football umbrella.

It's a little hard to swallow that on a Saturday the club are parading an anti racism message around the pitch and then booking this 'comedian' for 'entertainment' at Hillsborough.

Whether he is racist or not - his reputation goes before him and this alone makes this event unreasonable.

Before anyone posts replies to this - I would ask you all to pause a while and think about the damage that putting this event on can cause.

Thankfully the club pulled the event within 2 hours of Fattybear (Owlstalk Owner and Editor) launching a media protest that saw BBC, ITV, Sheffield Star, Radio Sheffield, and The Yorkshire Post amongst others featuring this as yet another embarrassing episode in an already embarrassing season for Wednesday.

OAR do a LOT of good in bringing football to the communities and this event would have damaged this.

Thanks for reading.

Originally posted by SusieP

I'm slightly ignorant toward Mr. Manning. I know he tells racist jokes, but I've never actually heard any of them. Could someone PM me (if such jokes are verboten, even in this context) or post a link to some examples. This way I can be informed before jumping in with righteous indignation ;)

Sue

I haven't seen him perform for a few years, so he may have toned it down (I doubt it, somehow), but if you imagine every joke starting with a variation of this line...

"These two puffs/darkies/Pakis/Paddies/Jocks/Lesbians walk into a bar...."

...you'll get the general idea.

lets hope that richard pryor never makes a comeback... or the pc brigade will be frothing at the mouth:loopy:

who is this PC brigade? It's a term that gets bandied about a lot it seems, but like the infamous "they" - never seem to be identified.

Originally posted by mojoworking

I haven't seen him perform for a few years, so he may have toned it down (I doubt it, somehow), but if you imagine every joke starting with a variation of this line...

"These two puffs/darkies/Pakis/Paddies/Jocks/Lesbians walk into a bar...."

...you'll get the general idea.

I'd much prefer full jokes, to form an opinion. Much unlike Sheffielder, seemingly.

Actually I am WELL aware of the material Bernard Manning uses and 90% of it I find extremely offensive.

One thing - if SWFC do go ahead with this event then I DARE them to put an asian or black waitress on.

Go on..

I DARE YOU

Then watch the press have one almighty field day with the results..

i think the entertainment manager at hilsbrough is asian now if he was offended he would have said so when they talked about booking bm ........ i can think about better things to worry about bm been at hilsbrough:loopy:

Originally posted by Sheffielder

Actually I am WELL aware of the material Bernard Manning uses and 90% of it I find extremely offensive.

One thing - if SWFC do go ahead with this event then I DARE them to put an asian or black waitress on.

Go on..

I DARE YOU

Then watch the press have one almighty field day with the results..

Then please share some of his material with us.

And I'd love to know of any past history between Manning and Asian waitstaff, or anything for you to have based that accusation on.

Sue, still not getting the over reacting