Sony Viao has died

Hi

I have an ancient sony viao that won't charge any more. I wish I had invested in a new battery instead of a new "original" charger from ebay that damaged the little hole where it plugs in (not techie - don't know name!). Attempts by someone to replace the little hole thing have failed. It's dead :( To be fair the Sony was falling to bits but was still usable. It was probably time to invest in a new one but the Viao was good quality, all white and a solid build; it pains me to chuck it out.... I'm afraid I became quite attached to it.

Please can someone recommend a similar laptop with a proper keyboard(not flat) that I can type on, that doesn't cost the earth? I don't want a black plasticky thing.

Regards

Duckegg

I think most, if not all, laptops come with flat keyboards. If it really is an issue you could plug in a separate keyboard.

You don't mention budget or what you use the laptop for, could you provide more details? Saying it is a Sony Viao doesn't give anyone a lot to work on, however if it is as old as you make out then chances are any laptop you buy will be better (faster, more storage, etc).

Hi Duckegg, you're welcome to bring it in so I can check its power socket (harness / DC jack) - I might be able to fix it for you and save buying a new laptop.

Let me know if you'd like to come this way on Monday, I'll be in from 10am until 2pm.

Thanks,

Gosh.

Hi Gosh

Thanks for your offer. However I don't think it's worth fixing! The fan has already gone and one is currently connected with a USB! The screen has a crack, as does the case - I've had it a long time; about 7 years so it's probably time to say goodbye to it. I was just looking for a similar laptop.

ps - you already successfully fixed the keyboard for me a few years ago :)

Duckegg

Such a shame Sony discontinued Vaio, I loved all my Vaio devices with a passion, well built, sturdy and capable.

I've switched to Apple since and really pleased with that move, high end Vaio and Apple products cost around the same when I made the switch. Best keyboards out there as well in my opinion.