241 Years Ago Today - Independence Day One

Well actually 241 years last Saturday it turns out, Congress and the committee of 5 wrote and approved the Declaration of Independence, and the United States of America was created as a nation.

If today, you look for the bleeding edge in any field, or the greatest achievers, very often you are looking west to the USA. Not bad for a nation less than half a millenium old.

Of course, it's much murkier and complicated than that, but the fact remains a bunch of msifits and outcasts, refugees and migrants, savants, merchants and nobilty from pretty much all over the world (in the end), got together and made a nation that still, in my opinion, has no equal.

Happy Independence Day!

The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more.

Go for it! :banana:

Bleeding edge?

And they managed to vote an absolute nicompoop to President so not really all that great.

Maybe we will have our own Independance Day in two years time :)

Seventy four years ago today - I was born!! Not much else to add to that!

Seventy four years ago today - I was born!! Not much else to add to that!

Happy Birthday :)

Maybe we will have our own Independance Day in two years time :)

why? are the aliens coming?

Maybe it will be called Brexit day where we are allowed to celebrate with Union Flags flying and not have a fear of being called racist.

And maybe there will be stories told about a hero called Nigel Farage who, a la Paul Revere, ran around the streets shouting that the Europeans are coming.

I will now sit back and wait for the abuse lol.

Maybe it will be called Brexit day where we are allowed to celebrate with Union Flags flying and not have a fear of being called racist.

And maybe there will be stories told about a hero called Nigel Farage who, a la Paul Revere, ran around the streets shouting that the Europeans are coming.

If you think Farage is a hero, you probably shouldn't be allowed out without supervision or near sharp knives.

Partayyy!!!!

Well actually 241 years last Saturday it turns out, Congress and the committee of 5 wrote and approved the Declaration of Independence, and the United States of America was created as a nation.

If today, you look for the bleeding edge in any field, or the greatest achievers, very often you are looking west to the USA. Not bad for a nation less than half a millenium old.

Of course, it's much murkier and complicated than that, but the fact remains a bunch of msifits and outcasts, refugees and migrants, savants, merchants and nobilty from pretty much all over the world (in the end), got together and made a nation that still, in my opinion, has no equal.

Happy Independence Day!

Go for it! :banana:

Phan my old friend, thank you for always remembering us yanks today! You never forget. :wave:

Most Americans are very fond of our cousins across the pond. England after all is sort of like our mom. Or mum, and we owe you a lot. Thanks for giving us your language. Sorry about what we've done to it. :hihi:

Today is a good day. :)

---------- Post added 04-07-2017 at 21:36 ----------

They're already here, mel. :suspect:

Happy Independence Day Sierra.

And the same to others in America who often used to post, Harleyman, Buck, and Rupert etc.

Hope they are well.

No abuse from me, just gently pointing out that the Declaration of Independence was a carefully worded document with pivotal global historical consequences, and the creation of a world changing idea, whereas Brexit will be a footnote in Britain's gradual decline, and a bit of a baffling event to future historians as there seemed to be no plan in evidence, and was essentially walking off a cliff in the hope of stitching a parachute together on the way down.

Phan my old friend, thank you for always remembering us yanks today! You never forget. :wave:

I'm very proud to count you as a forum friend, even if we never meet in real life - and the 4th is a day to celebrate everywhere, not just the USA, because it's an inspiration for liberation and freedom.

Edited by Phanerothyme