Chocolate bars to be reduced in size.

In a bid by the Government to combat child obesity, some of the biggest chocolate manufactures are said to be reducing their products by 20 per cent - almost a quarter. I can't see the chocolate manufacturers reducing their prices accordingly. Why do the Government have to stick their noses in and try to control what people eat and drink? Surely it is up to parents to try and ensure their children are not overdosing on chocolate, not the states.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/mars-bars-kit-kats-dairy-9760867

I bet they don't reduce the price by 20% though. :roll:

Rip off Britain again.

Manufacturers are already doing it. Nowt to do with health though.

Theyve been doing it for agres and raising prices. Multipack size is 40g compared to 55/60g.

the solution is you have two of them....

I thought it was because coca bean plants were being decimated by some disease, something about them only using one strain a bit like bananas.

In a bid by the Government to combat child obesity, some of the biggest chocolate manufactures are said to be reducing their products by 20 per cent - almost a quarter. I can't see the chocolate manufacturers reducing their prices accordingly. Why do the Government have to stick their noses in and try to control what people eat and drink? Surely it is up to parents to try and ensure their children are not overdosing on chocolate, not the states.

The chocolate manufacturers must just love the government.... A 20% increase in profits for them paid for by the taxpayer!

If the government seriously wanted to reduce obesity it should indulge in some joined up thinking. They could start by putting legal limits on the amount of sugar included in everyday food manufacturing. It's ladled into every product imaginable.

Then they could ban all machines that dispense unhealthy foods from hospitals, schools and public places as well as the Macdonalds franchises that even appear in some hospitals.

They could think about limiting fast food outlets and subsidising small businesses that encourage healthy eating and lifestyles. They could return to proper food and cookery classes in schools.... etc etc.

Just a few thoughts, but I'm sure people can think of more.

Theyve been doing it for agres and raising prices. Multipack size is 40g compared to 55/60g.

the solution is you have two of them....

I bought a multi pack of Boost's took one out it was so small. I was tempted to have 2. I resisted lol

The Government isn't making them do anything. As the news article says, they are reducing the size of their product to reduce the amount of sugar in it so they don't get included in a forthcoming report by Public Health England. They aren't doing it for the consumer as presumably the %age of sugar remains the same, they are doing it to slip under some arbitrary value in the report and avoid being named and shamed which would be bad for business.

It has nothing to do with obesity, it is nothing more than corporate greed endorsed by government. Check all your packaging folks, every thing is getting smaller and being sold for the old price, tea bags , bacon, butter etc. etc. It is a global scam, supposedly used by the manufacturers as an attempt to keep prices down. Yeah right, pull the other one.

Edited by TORONTONY

The Government isn't making them do anything. As the news article says, they are reducing the size of their product to reduce the amount of sugar in it so they don't get included in a forthcoming report by Public Health England. They aren't doing it for the consumer as presumably the %age of sugar remains the same, they are doing it to slip under some arbitrary value in the report and avoid being named and shamed which would be bad for business.

The article doesn't really say much at all.

Let's wait and see.

PHE is looking for a reduction of sugar content by 20%.

If PHE let them get away with this, then they they should be disbanded.

Mars have recently patented a sugar replacement http://www.europeanmarinesciencepark.co.uk/news-events/2016/novel-sugar-replacement-from-microalgae-lands-500-000-development-funding/

If the mars bar tastes exactly the same, which according to their research, it does, they wont need to reduce the size. I can see people ordering cadburys in bulk from amazon soon, the bars sold abroad are not subject to our nosy and overprotective gorvernment guidelines.

The chocolate manufacturers must just love the government.... A 20% increase in profits for them paid for by the taxpayer!

If the government seriously wanted to reduce obesity it should indulge in some joined up thinking. They could start by putting legal limits on the amount of sugar included in everyday food manufacturing. It's ladled into every product imaginable.

Then they could ban all machines that dispense unhealthy foods from hospitals, schools and public places as well as the Macdonalds franchises that even appear in some hospitals.

They could think about limiting fast food outlets and subsidising small businesses that encourage healthy eating and lifestyles. They could return to proper food and cookery classes in schools.... etc etc.

Just a few thoughts, but I'm sure people can think of more.

but that would mean them using common sense... :)