48 team WC is ridiculous

After watching weaker teams defend their own half if not penalty box at the recent Euro Championship this idea to increase the WC to 40 then 48 teams is only going to make it more of a bore fest.

This guy needs to be put in his place. No one wants this!

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/infantino-hints-48-team-world-201517492.html

Agreed. Imagine if the Faroe Islands were to qualify because it was made easier for them to do so, and we lost to them!

Altogether possible.

Edited by SiSiSi

With what I've just seen for 45 mins it's the only way England will qualify.

what's silly about it is that it for the good teams, especially European ones, who of course don't include England, is that it will make it even easier for them to qualify than it is now. And it's too easy now as it is. There is no incentive for a team to qualify from their group in 1st position. They can come 3rd. It doesn't matter. Germany could field their youth team in the qualifiers, come 3rd and they'd still be seeded as one of the favourites.

the most thing wrong with it is that the way they are planning it in the finals is that the qualifying groups are groups of only 3, which is garbage.

having it over 5 weeks instead of four isn't so bad and in fact that's the only thing that's good about it. Some people have been trying to make out that it will be more tiring for the players, but it won't be, as the champions and the finalists still only play seven games, except over 5 weeks instead of 4.

International football is dead. To be fare it was well on its way before today but it's dead now.

How many rip roaring matches have you seen in the past four major tournaments?

Good move this,allows more teams and players to show up on the world stage,and eliminates a lot of meaningless games in the current overblown first stage,teams will need to play to win from the start and hit the ground running,or risk going out,which will make for more interesting games,and the chance for an upset if one of the lesser teams happens to win either of their games,which will give them a better chance of going through to the knockout stage.

fifa get more money

Exactly,if it's good enough for the Premier League,which is lauded around the world,and every team in the pyramid aspires to get into it and get hold of the money,then it's good enough for FIFA.

Agreed. Imagine if the Faroe Islands were to qualify because it was made easier for them to do so, and we lost to them!

Altogether possible.

Another possible 'Banana skin' result for England would be San Marino or Gibraltar being in the same group. And Ssssh about the Faroe Islands, aren't they near Iceland ?

fifa get more money

Yes, it does seem to be a money racket now. At least the Premiership puts some good games on, but like TFH says, the world cup rarely does. Germany Brazil was the exception rather than the rule and the WC in South Africa must have been one of the worst tournaments in recorded history.

Maybe it's time the Europeans just broke away altogether? Or could FIFA just be binned and we start again?

Exactly,if it's good enough for the Premier League,which is lauded around the world,and every team in the pyramid aspires to get into it and get hold of the money,then it's good enough for FIFA.

I'm not sure I agree.

If lesser teams aim for 2 draws, they have a 50/50 chance of qualifying.

I don't like the idea of the final group games not being played at the same time.

I'm not sure I agree.

If lesser teams aim for 2 draws, they have a 50/50 chance of qualifying.

I don't like the idea of the final group games not being played at the same time.

Then we'll see the bigger teams going for the win from the off to make sure they qualify,I'd rather see one team going for all the points rather than 2 teams satisfied with a point in their first game because they have 2 more games to qualify.