Sign in to follow this  

The Sharks

Coming to sheff in September, haven't attended BBL games for a long time (since Derby folded), will the Sharks have a fixed venue this year or will they play at different venues? I have heard they have played at 2 or 3 different places. What sort of crowds do they get, and how much is admission? Is there a student rate? Cheers.

Oh yeah, how far are their venues (or venue, if they are only going to be using one) from the Tapton area? Cheers.

The Sharks play at Ponds Forge in town and have done for a few years now, they used to swap between there and the arena but due to low crowds and the collapse of ITV digital (biggest flop ever!!!) a lot of BBL teams cut back or folded. The Sharks moved back to ponds Forge where nearly every game is sold out with a great atmosphere.

Admission I forget but I think it was around £8-10 per game, and the last time I knew of a student discount was over 8 years ago when my dad came with me, it's not much to pay anyway.

Check out http://www.sheffieldsharks.com.

Cheers mate, few bits of the site are under construction at the moment, so how far is Ponds forge from Tapton and how many does it hold?

I haven't been to a BBL game in ages, in fact only got thinking about it again recently because a mate of mine who was on a bball scholarship in Texas (Wesleyan university) and was breaking into the Derby Storm team, got killed in a car crash a few weeks ago. They're having a memorial game for him at the Storm Centre in Derby with a few old Storm players like Tim Lascelles turning out in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to going to some games again! Cheers for the info.

Guest rosie

jonsey

You could always try womens basketball to watch.

Sheffield have the most succesful womens team in the country and they play at the E.I.S.

Their entrance is £2 adult and £1 for students.

It is well worth watch and costs very little.

Excuse my ignorance what/where is the EIS? Do you play for them or just a supporter? I didn't know they had a successful ladies team.... Jonesy.

Guest rosie

Hi Jonesy

Sheffield Hatters have been going since 1961, they are the most successful womens basketball team in the country, they have won many trophies and in the last 11 years have never missed a play off championship.

They develop girls from 8+ to the division 1 team and players also play for England.

They have always had the same coach Betty Codona OBE and within the last month have become the first womens club in England in any sport to recieve the Clubmark.

Sheffield does not recognise the Hatters basically because they are womens and would much rather talk about the sharks, but we alwayd bring back a trophie every year how many sheffield teams have been going for as long and have so many trophies to there name.

I am a dedicated supporter, as are most of the Hatters fans you should come and watch it, just once and you will be amazed.

go to their supporters web site to have a look

http://www.sheffield-hatters-supporters.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/home.htm

see you Rosie

Originally posted by rosie

Hi Jonesy

Sheffield does not recognise the Hatters basically because they are womens and would much rather talk about the sharks, but we alwayd bring back a trophie every year how many sheffield teams have been going for as long and have so many trophies to there name.

Hi Rosie, agree with everything you say but unfortunately the paying public would rather watch men play than women.

That is just how it is, not a criticism of Betty and here fantastic team.

My son plays for a junior Sharks team but there is no money available for development, that all goes to a few professional players and then out of the game for good.

I used to play National League many years ago and I think there was more money for development then than there is now. Sad state of affairs.

Andy

...and the EIS is next to iceSheffield & Don Valley Stadium...the English Institue of Sport, one of the finest sports facilities in the country by a long way!

Originally posted by Andyman

I used to play National League many years ago and I think there was more money for development then than there is now. Sad state of affairs.

Andy

Sad but true:( I have followed Britball since I was at junior school and saw the Doncaster Panthers and Derby Bucks a few times before the Sharks were formed.

There was a short period where it looked like britball was on the up with more Bskyb coverage and development schemes going on. But many factors (including ITV digital) put the sport in to a downfall that will take many many years to pull itself from. However teams do seem to be concentrating more on homegrown talent now but is this just because they can't afford top foreign players anymore? Saying that will there be many teams left soon? I miss Derby, Doncaster and Manchester, who's next and will the leage have to expand to the NBL and include promotion/relegation?

Originally posted by duffman

Sad but true:( I have followed Britball since I was at junior school and saw the Doncaster Panthers and Derby Bucks a few times before the Sharks were formed.

What years did you watch the Panthers? I played there for four or five years in the seventies after Sheffield Scorpions left the National League.

Originally posted by Andyman

What years did you watch the Panthers? I played there for four or five years in the seventies after Sheffield Scorpions left the National League.

Oooh it was late eighties to early nineties before the sharks came to sheffield.