Sign in to follow this  

Fishing - Where do I start?

Hello

When I'm out walking the dogs, I usually see some people fishing in the pond in Hillsborough park - Are these people mental, or are there actually fish in there? Always been to scared to ask them incase they are mental and I ruin their day ;)

If there are fish in there, do you have to have a licence or anything, or do you just turn up? I've never fished before but always fancied it as it seems like my kinda sport (ie sitting down :D ) - can anyone tell me where I could go to start off, somewhere free perhaps or tell me how to go about getting a licence if there is no such thing as free fishing?

Cheers folks

you need a licence to fish anywhere. You can get one from the post office, and most tackle shops will also sell you one. Dunno if there are any fish in Hillsborough pond, but if there are people fishing there regularly, then I suppose there must be or they wouldnt bother. My dads the man to ask about this stuff, Ill have a word when I see him tomorrow and see if he knows of any good free places to fish

you need a licence before you can start any kind of fishing they can be bought at post offices and are valid for one year starting on, (strange but true) the1st of april,and cost £23. There are some good tackle shops in town that would be only too happy to help you out and not rip you off just for the sake of a quick profit Billy Clarkes is one I use they are just off Bramall Lane, the address is 77-81 Alderson Road and their attitude seems to be that if they keep you happy they have you hooked for life ..lol

Roach and Perch used to be the most common species found in Hillsborough park pond. Tench have been known as well but not as common. You obviously still need a licence and there may be a day ticket to purchase if the bayliff comes around.

I've also seen people fishing it through the night but I'm not sure of the legalities of this.

Do you have transport? I wouldn't bother with big reservoirs like Dam Flask unless you are into Pike fishing.

Dunno if there still is, but a few years ago there used to LOADS of pike and trout in the rivers up Rivelin.

Nasty little beggars as well them pikes, bite your hand off they would.

There is a pond just before you get to Dam Flask. You can fish there for around 4-5 pounds a day and it's stocked well with a wide variety of species such as Chubb, Barble Tench and Carp.