The plane crash - channel 4 11th Oct 2012

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-plane-crash/articles/online-check-in

In an unprecedented event, two pilots will board a Boeing 727, fly it over a vast, empty desert, set it to crash land and parachute from the plane. Filmed for Channel 4, the resulting high-speed crash will provide scientists with invaluable information about how planes react in potentially fatal accidents.

Here, you can check in and choose a seat on our flight to discover how this choice would have affected your chances of surviving our crash. Once you're checked in, you'll be rewarded with an exclusive preview of the show. Come back after the show airs to find out how you would have fared in your seat.

On at 9. So where will you choose to sit? I've chosen 13c This will be very interesting to watch.

Edited by EdnaKrabappe

I've got 6A :) Not sitting in economy if I'm gonna snuff it lol.

I'm not getting on a plane with 70,000 facebook users.

I'm not getting on a plane with 70,000 facebook users.

No wonder it's gonna crash! There's now 80,000 on board! :o

Seems a bit ironic that when they last tried doing this, they (NASA) lost control of the plane and it crashed!

Now it's too dangerous to crash it because it's a bit too windy! :huh:

Seems a bit ironic that when they last tried doing this, they (NASA) lost control of the plane and it crashed!

Now it's too dangerous to crash it because it's a bit too windy! :huh:

The high winds were a danger to the guys parachuting from Big Flo.

I want to know why they don't make the planes out of the same stuff they use to make the "Black-Boxes"... after all, the Black-Boxes always survive a crash, don't they?

I want to know why they don't make the planes out of the same stuff they use to make the "Black-Boxes"... after all, the Black-Boxes always survive a crash, don't they?

Then they wouldn't be planes anymore, they would be tanks, and consequently not the slightest bit able to fly.

On the other hand, if they had rearward facing seats, I think the injuries caused by hard landings could prevent some fatalities and injuries.

What was the program like?

(I chose 32E, at the back, next to the exit - probability of survival - 0.82)

Edited by Phanerothyme

As a a young man (student pilot) I sat through the detailed, seemingly emotionless narrative given by the two pilots in a super-stalled high-tailed jet airliner.

It was a distressing experience.

The doors on airliners are put where they are put to allow passengers to enter and exit the aircraft easily. They are not parachute exits.

If you jump out of the forward door of a 727, where are you going? What will happen when your body hits the wing (the aircraft is still being propelled ... your body isn't.) What would an engine intake nacelle feel like?

Yes, some 727s are fitted with a rear ventral door - but can you get there in time? What happens when you jump out? (What's the airflow pattern behind that door if you open it in flight?)

Getting out of military aircraft (those not fitted with ejection seats) is dangerous enough. Getting out of an airliner - which was not designed to allow in-flight abandonment - is for the very brave or the somewhat insane.

I heard a rumour that, in the event of a potential crash, the reason the air crew ask you to "adopt the 'brace' position" (head down etc) is not to protect you, but to preserve your jaw/ teeth upon impact so that you can be identified by your dental records! :wow: scary!

Not so - There is a chance of survival (a small one, but it does happen.)

My 'swan song' (my last flight on my last flying tour) occurred at about the time my son was due to be born (I was a 'geriatric parent':hihi::hihi:)

I didn't go on it. The crew did a pretty good job! - They flew a number of thousands of miles and they were only about half a mile out at the end of the trip. - Not too shabby!

Unfortunately, they were half a mile short of the runway.

Everybody got out and walked away. - The airframe was 'bent to buggery' but the people were OK.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

If you're worried, sit about 2/3 of the way back (just behind the wing root.)

I'f you're not worried, sit 2 or 3 rows behind the crapper (you get first dibs - the queues are shorter - and the service is generally better.)

Not so - There is a chance of survival (a small one, but it does happen.)

My 'swan song' (my last flight on my last flying tour) occurred at about the time my son was due to be born (I was a 'geriatric parent':hihi::hihi:)

I didn't go on it. The crew did a pretty good job! - They flew a number of thousands of miles and they were only about half a mile out at the end of the trip. - Not too shabby!

Unfortunately, they were half a mile short of the runway.

Everybody got out and walked away. - The airframe was 'bent to buggery' but the people were OK.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

If you're worried, sit about 2/3 of the way back (just behind the wing root.)

I'f you're not worried, sit 2 or 3 rows behind the crapper (you get first dibs - the queues are shorter - and the service is generally better.)

Wow lucky escape! Maybe the plane didn't land correctly because the pilot wasn't aboard:P