Crucible's Days Numbered?

2005 being the last year of the Embassy Sponsorship. What direction will be taken from snookers point of view towards the World Final. Can anyone see it remaining in Sheffield or as this report suggests moving overseas where the money is. I can think of one being UAE. United Arab Emirates.

Here

Comments...

Snooker should look around for other more reputable sponsors. Surley people involved in the game must be becomeing increasingly embarrased at their assosiation with the tobacoo industry.

just thinking about a couple of well known brands like BMW, IBM, Microsoft, Mercedes. You only need to look around at other tournaments and events. like the Martell Grand National, Fosters Britist Grand Prix. Mercedes sponser some tennis event? It is possible to sponsor a sport without the need for tobacco advertising.

The players dont want to leave sheffield,and neither do the snooker bigwigs.But as we all know,money talks.

Surely there is someone out there who will sponser the world championships.With the coverage it gets on the TV and newspapers,someone must be willing to shell out few quid to get their brand noticed.

Please,please Mr global conglomerate,keep this fantastic sporting event in the city that it belongs

Why dosn't the forum sponser it.

Im sure we could rustle up a few bob between us all.

:D :D

Certain people have been pressing to snatch it away from the crucible to bigger venues etc. It may happen. The bottom line is that the history is at the crucible and all the players and high profile names involved with the game want it to remain there. It is world snookers home.

Listen mate. It doesnt matter it todays climate. Money Talks!

Originally posted by rickmiles85

just thinking about a couple of well known brands like BMW, IBM, Microsoft, Mercedes. You only need to look around at other tournaments and events. like the Martell Grand National, Fosters Britist Grand Prix. Mercedes sponser some tennis event? It is possible to sponsor a sport without the need for tobacco advertising.

How about Hallam FM world snooker championship? :o:D

Originally posted by Lickszz

How about Hallam FM world snooker championship? :o:D

At the Hallam FM arena?

I doubt anyone would want to take the world championships away from the Crucible. I'd imagine a suitable sponsor could be found for a good sum of money, especially given the amount of coverage it gets from the BBC and locally.

P.S. Moved this to sport as I feel it's more appropriate.

How come the crucible got the snooker in the first place, who was behind it,

its a bit embarassing on the telly when the players are on video trying to be cool an behind them is the grafitti on the walls,it makes sheff look a right dump. But never the less i love the world championships being held at sheffield, always watched it, an always will.

Good on yer anyway, whoever you are.

I notice that extensive coverage was on Eurosport this year. The coverage was better on Eurosport than the BBC.