Imagine no John Lennon

Oh I'm not saying they weren't talented! It was massively groundbreaking stuff they did with George Martin

That's a step up from "nothing good about them". :)

Aye but normally when I say a song is good because of its production everyone yawns, so I went in at the deep end and said my opinions from a listeners point of view. I may have been a bit harsh. :hihi:

Obviously they appeal to the masses, I just can't see why, that's all, but then again the stuff I normally listen to would have the same effect on other people.

I once heard it described as the anthem of atheism,but i don't read it like that.:)

Speaking as an almost lifelong atheist I would describe it as puerile nonsense.

Speaking as an almost lifelong atheist I would describe it as puerile nonsense.

I wouldn't call a good song written by a thoughtful if not rather complex young man puerile nonsense.

Speaking as a mainly lifelong theist,i would call it a masterpiece. Everyone to their own taste though.

Sorry no. I have studied music at degree level and listened to every type of genre out there, but I just can't relate to it... I don't even know why...

It sounds like you have studied a degree in classical music.Perhaps if you reveal exactly what you do like we can set your remarks in context.Would Girls Aloud,Robbie W and Take That be on your playlist?

It sounds like you have studied a degree in classical music.Perhaps if you reveal exactly what you do like we can set your remarks in context.Would Girls Aloud,Robbie W and Take That be on your playlist?

Haha, I studied Music Tech but my course involved modules around theory and musicianship so the Beatles popped up a lot, and I do write and record my own music, but no I wouldn't listen to those either... I listen to a vast range of music including classical, easy listening, etc but if I am more partial to a bit of Post Rock: Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, This Will Destroy You, et al...

No one will have heard of those, and will slate the fact I have dissed one of the biggest groups in history in support of what a lot of people would call 'noise' haha

Oh well, be boring if we all liked the same stuff...

Never really a fan of the Beatles or Lennon. But he was a talented guy. Such a waste of a life really :(

The problem with Imagine, certainly lyrically, is that it is one of the most un-John songs he ever wrote. That doesn't prevent its becoming a good song, but there are superior songs written by John Lennon, as a Beatle and as a soloist.

From among the latter group, I'd pick Mind Games, #9 Dream and Jealous Guy over Imagine, any day.

Jealous Guy

Silly question, I know, but I presume you've heard 'Child of Nature' - which later grew into Jealous Guy? The piano on Jealous Guy is lovely.

I love Oh Yoko for the piano playing, which is a little too good to be John. :)

Haha, I studied Music Tech but my course involved modules around theory and musicianship so the Beatles popped up a lot, and I do write and record my own music, but no I wouldn't listen to those either... I listen to a vast range of music including classical, easy listening, etc but if I am more partial to a bit of Post Rock: Red Sparowes, Russian Circles, This Will Destroy You, et al...

No one will have heard of those, and will slate the fact I have dissed one of the biggest groups in history in support of what a lot of people would call 'noise' haha

Oh well, be boring if we all liked the same stuff...

Red Sparowes are basically improvising as if playing free form jazz.There were a lot of bands playing this gear in the 70s lie Gong.Egg,Spearmint Muffin and even Hawkwind.I cant see many fans of John Lennon embracing this genre.what does it have to do with the Post Office-is it the Parcelforce company ditty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ousetunes

Jealous Guy

Silly question, I know, but I presume you've heard 'Child of Nature' - which later grew into Jealous Guy? The piano on Jealous Guy is lovely.

I love Oh Yoko for the piano playing, which is a little too good to be John.

Indeed.

There are two pianos on Jealous Guy. I believe Phil Spector plays the higher notes with John playing the lower.

I like the way the acoustic guitar is faded in. I also think John Barham's string arrangement is stunning.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android