Call the midwife

... oh, and a couple of people got sent home with the wrong child - which I've never figured out as they're all fully labelled at birth

One of ours was labelled incorrectly, and that was less than 5 years ago!

I think people need to read the book (along with the 'workhouse' and 'say goodbye to the eastend'), it really helpsget a better understanding and perspective with which jennifer intended. Which in most parts the tv show doesnt get across quite so well. I found myself more immersed in the book than the show, more graphic, more detailed, more accurate, the whole smog, dirt, mess, smells etc... Came across better in the book, strangely.

All the actresses they have picked seem to fit the characters in the book perfectly.

One of ours was labelled incorrectly, and that was less than 5 years ago!

Jeeez; that doesnt bare thinking about :/

My mother who had her children in the 1940's and mine were born in the early 1970's were all born in the same position with the mother on her back with legs in stirrups, no options!

I remember those styrrups! :gag:

I had my first child in 1969, but there weren't many home births by then, at least not for a first child. Just as well in my case, as there were serious complications, and eventually they gave me an epidural. I think they were fairly rare then, I certainly didn't know what one was, and in those days the doctors didn't keep mums informed during the birth, or at least mine didn't. It was very scary, as I had no idea what was going on most of the time. I wish I'd had a midwife like the ones in the programme!

I remember those styrrups! :gag:

I had my first child in 1969, but there weren't many home births by then, at least not for a first child. Just as well in my case, as there were serious complications, and eventually they gave me an epidural. I think they were fairly rare then, I certainly didn't know what one was, and in those days the doctors didn't keep mums informed during the birth, or at least mine didn't. It was very scary, as I had no idea what was going on most of the time. I wish I'd had a midwife like the ones in the programme!

One of mine was born in a "maternity home" (they don't exist now) and I must say that the whole experience was much better than a previous hospital birth. The staff were all experienced midwives and were more compassionate about both mother and baby so information was more forthcoming.

The book had a greater intensity with regards to the smog/squaller/poverty than is coming through from the TV adaptation but, it's still very enjoyable to watch.

One of mine was born in a "maternity home" (they don't exist now) and I must say that the whole experience was much better than a previous hospital birth. The staff were all experienced midwives and were more compassionate about both mother and baby so information was more forthcoming.

The book had a greater intensity with regards to the smog/squaller/poverty than is coming through from the TV adaptation but, it's still very enjoyable to watch.

I'm going to read the book. I thought the story about eclampsia was very sad, and felt for the young violin playing wife when she left the clinic without being seen. She was obviously out of her comfort zone with the atmosphere and some of the other women. I wondered how that is written in the book?

Although I was born in the 40s, I was the first (and only) child of older parents, and my father paid for my mother to go into a nursing home. I'd have thought a headmaster would have been in the position to ensure his wife was getting care during her pregnancy.

I'm going to read the book. I thought the story about eclampsia was very sad, and felt for the young violin playing wife when she left the clinic without being seen. She was obviously out of her comfort zone with the atmosphere and some of the other women. I wondered how that is written in the book?

Although I was born in the 40s, I was the first (and only) child of older parents, and my father paid for my mother to go into a nursing home. I'd have thought a headmaster would have been in the position to ensure his wife was getting care during her pregnancy.

I recall that it was written very differently on the book. The case we saw in Sunday's episode was actually a flashback to the first time that the narrator had experienced exclampsia when she was dealing with a current case on her rounds, which was picked up on as pre-stage.

It's a really good book and worthwhile reading, grittier than the TV series.

Finally caught up with last Sunday's Call the Midwife, and I must say several tears were shed without any advanced notice. I still think Miranda has done a fantastic job of going from comedienne to actress and has done brilliantly in her role. Tina O'Brian whilst good seemed a bit out of place - I would have liked to see where her partner had been the whole time, and also why there was no electricity - is this explained in the book? Will be watching the next series for certain. :)

Isn't it sad that the author Jennifer Worth died last year,so she didn't live long enough to see the success of the series.

Finally caught up with last Sunday's Call the Midwife, and I must say several tears were shed without any advanced notice. I still think Miranda has done a fantastic job of going from comedienne to actress and has done brilliantly in her role. Tina O'Brian whilst good seemed a bit out of place - I would have liked to see where her partner had been the whole time, and also why there was no electricity - is this explained in the book? Will be watching the next series for certain. :)
Things like constant supply of electricity are something we take for granted these days. Such services were once far less reliable (else there had been no money for the meter) The bit that surprised me was that no neighbours were called upon for candles or anything else that would have helped (though giving birth out of wedlock may have been cause)

I thought the explanation of him being at sea, was confirmed when we saw him walking down the street cheerfully carrying one of the babies next to his 'wife' pushing the pram at the end of the episode

This is shown in the US now, on a cable channel, Ive enjoyed it so far, I don't know any of the actors in it that you talk about, there all new faces to me , I think that helps, although it seems it's more like the 40s than the 50s.

Just got three of Jennifer Worth's books, on which the series is based. Ace!