Private vs public

Two examples and you think that you've identified a general pattern?

I believe private and public can both bring good value, I dont believe that ideologically, one is better than the other.

It depends on regulation and the goals of a contract; private can undercut the public sector because they cut costs.

Private schools and hospitals are perceived as being better, but then private organisations go bust too.

Unfortunately the perception of 'private' being better pervades our entire, class-ridden society. This alone often affects the success of certain enterprises.

....so why do the Conservatives want to privatise things?

Simple, the Tories rich friends can make far more money out of privatised companies than publicly run concerns.

Simple, the Tories rich friends can make far more money out of privatised companies than publicly run concerns.

Ain't that the truth. I'd love to know who really owns the companies that get the contracts. Cameron and croneyism are only the tip of the iceberg.

Ain't that the truth. I'd love to know who really owns the companies that get the contracts. Cameron and croneyism are only the tip of the iceberg.

Damn right!

What companies? What contracts?

In some cases it's shockingly clear, and yet no one gets prosecuted for it.

See G4 for example.

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 11:39 ----------

Contracts for privatisation of previously public services. For example, large parts of the prison system. Large areas of the NHS. In Sheffield waste disposal, road maintenance. The list goes on, I'm sure google could provide you with an exhaustive list if you need it.

It's not easy to find out, which should ring alarm bells from the start. Serco for example has loads of contracts, Capita also, G4 as mentioned, and that's just 3 umbrella companies. Google any of them to find out the extent of their influence. It's possible to find out who the CEO is (always on a huge salary,) but not necessarily the major shareholders.

However if you read the financial pages carefully, names slip out, and then you can trace their connections to the government and in particular the cabinet of David Cameron. The register MPs interests also makes for interesting reading, but it's the ones that are not registered that turn out to be the most lucrative, like the recent Uber scandal.

It's not easy to find out, which should ring alarm bells from the start. Serco for example has loads of contracts, Capita also, G4 as mentioned, and that's just 3 umbrella companies. Google any of them to find out the extent of their influence. It's possible to find out who the CEO is (always on a huge salary,) but not necessarily the major shareholders.

However if you read the financial pages carefully, names slip out, and then you can trace their connections to the government and in particular the cabinet of David Cameron. The register MPs interests also makes for interesting reading, but it's the ones that are not registered that turn out to be the most lucrative, like the recent Uber scandal.

I know all the companies Anna and could add to the list - arseholes most of them. But I'd like proof they are subject to chronyism you've claimed. However, there is good news. When companies registered at companies house you had to send in you company return confirming who are the directors and who is the company secretary. It costs £13. Now it's called a company confirmation statement. So far so pointless I hear you cry. Not so. Along with directors every limited, and presumably plc (I'm not one so I don't know) has to name every person with significant control. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-the-people-with-significant-control-requirements-for-companies-and-limited-liability-partnerships

That said I always thought plcs had to name major shareholders anyway. However, this is a useful step (although more tedium for those not on the fiddle).

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 23:25 ----------

In some cases it's shockingly clear, and yet no one gets prosecuted for it.

See G4 for example.

---------- Post added 30-04-2017 at 11:39 ----------

Contracts for privatisation of previously public services. For example, large parts of the prison system. Large areas of the NHS. In Sheffield waste disposal, road maintenance. The list goes on, I'm sure google could provide you with an exhaustive list if you need it.

I was hoping for evidence of shady practices.

tinfoilhat, to get that bona fide proof you'd have to be a **** hot journalist with some pretty amazing sources.

Or you would need the police to be seriously proactive and actually interested in tackling corruption at an institutional level. I'm sure there's great police officers who could do such a job but they are working with their arms tied behind their back. Read Private Eye. Seriously it will open your eyes.

But anyway, At a previous company I worked for a client and we were up for a re-bid for some government work. We were up against competing companies that had spent years sweet-talking ministers and shadow ministers to get the work. Our company was obviously at it too. The spend on lobbying and bids was quite something. Then I spotted something utterly corrupt and beyond belief from an employee at one of the other companies on his LinkedIn profile. I mean this was bad - this was essentially a boast that shadow ministers had been in his pocket for 5 years+ so here we were, us and 5 other companies putting collectively about £10m into this bid work over years only to find that one company had it stitched up before the bids were even marked. Guess who won. And guess who won it and made a complete pigs ear of it.

True story.

For example, the beleagured security firm G4S, which benefits annually from £600m of contracts from government, has a former government minister, Whitehall advisers and civil servants on its board.

These include, former home secretary and defence secretary John Reid (now Baron Reid of Cardowan), former Met police commissioner Lord Condon (who earns £124,600 as a non-executive director of G4S), former prison governor Tom Wheatley and helpfully for G4S’ energy meter monitoring arm, the former energy regulator Claire Spottiswoode is a non-executive director (earning £56,800).

I was under the impression that there was actually a stronger link through husband/wife directly to the conservative government, but perhaps that was fake news...

If google could provide proof of course then someone would be under investigation for prosecution wouldn't they... Or would they, after all the government write the law.