Couch to 5k-Advice

Has anyone on here done the couch to 5k?

I have downloaded the podcasts and Im going to give it a go. I have never run before.

Should i carry water?

We run a couch to 5K at Doncaster Athletics Club, and it's been great to see so many people get the running bug. It's genuinely transformed peoples lives. I would highly recommend you do it with a group or a club as the group can really help you through during some of those early weeks when you might be doubting yourself.

Sheffield Running Club and Steel City Striders do a couch to 5k group, as I'm sure many of the other running clubs in Sheffield do.

However you choose to do it, stick at it, you'll love it. Running is an absolute joy when you get past the first few weeks.

I don't think you need to carry water. You should only need water if you're running for more than 40 minutes or so, or if the weather's hot. Having said that, I'm not a doctor, it's just my opinion based on my own experience of running.

Edited by viewsonic

Firstly - congrats on starting off on an adventure - starting running is the best thing I ever did (and I used to be a 20 a day smoker with absolutely awful diet).

Sheffield Running Club and Steel City Striders do a couch to 5k group, as I'm sure many of the other running clubs in Sheffield do.

I'd second the recommendation above about doing it in an organised group - the extra motiviation is great to keep you going. Unfortunately Steel City Striders only do 5k to 10k groups, although I'm sure there's others about.

I wouldn't take water for anything up to 10 miles or so unless it's particularly warm, but everyone varies - if you're more comfortable with water, go for it, there's no rules!

It's perfectly feaible to do it without a group though - just remember that it's a gradual progression & don't be put off if you have a few setbacks along the way. Even seasoned elite runners have days and weeks where they're just not feeling it at all, stick with the plan though & you'll be great - the couch to 5k is a great build up.

Have a look at Parkrun too if it fits in with the training - I'm not suggesting you run it all to start off with, but there's walkers who do it too as well as runners, and there's always a great atmosphere with no judgement. There's parkruns in Endcliffe Park, Hillsborough, Graves Park, Rother Valley and a few other places.

Feel free to post back if you have any other questions & good luck!

I did it a few years ago (though on a treadmill) and it worked great. Just don't be tempted to skip weeks if you are making progress as you can easily damage your legs if your not used to running.

As mentioned above park run is a great option too.