Is this an OK gaming PC?

Thanks for the advice.

Just to check does this take into consideration the GPU requirements for Illustrator (if using the GPU performance enhancements)?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-preview-improvements.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html#main-pars_minitoc

Just want to double check as my current laptop can run Photoshop and InDesign fine but Illustrator is where it struggles. I don't want to get another PC which can't handle Illustrator.

@mickey finn - Trust me I will not be getting a PC that is so full of LEDs you can see it from space. A plain black tower would suit me fine. Although I do want an SDD and a decent amount of RAM.

Admittedly it does look pretty cool and the lighting is not over the top but it will never see a game in its life, I think I got carried away because I hadnt realised just how far computers have come on in the last five years, I opted for an I7 cpu when an I5 would have easily handled Photoshop and the likes, that said I am thinking about doing a bit of video editing so maybe it will all come in handy.

Thanks for the advice.

Just to check does this take into consideration the GPU requirements for Illustrator (if using the GPU performance enhancements)?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-preview-improvements.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html#main-pars_minitoc

Just want to double check as my current laptop can run Photoshop and InDesign fine but Illustrator is where it struggles. I don't want to get another PC which can't handle Illustrator.

@mickey finn - Trust me I will not be getting a PC that is so full of LEDs you can see it from space. A plain black tower would suit me fine. Although I do want an SDD and a decent amount of RAM.

I would think that most machines in the last few years would run illustrator - I can't think of anything it does, that wouldn't work on a current (or even previous) generation CPU.... -

Illustrator requirements state "NVIDIA GeForce GTX Series (4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 9xx, Titan)" - which the link I provided has...

or... if you opt for onboard (not a dedicated GPU) then it will also work on the CPU's onboard GPU fine...

all requirements for illustrator are here...

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

(P.S. - unless your current computer was a VERY low spec when you bought it, i'd be surprised if it didn't work on your current machine looking at the required specifications)

I would think that most machines in the last few years would run illustrator - I can't think of anything it does, that wouldn't work on a current (or even previous) generation CPU.... -

Illustrator requirements state "NVIDIA GeForce GTX Series (4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 9xx, Titan)" - which the link I provided has...

or... if you opt for onboard (not a dedicated GPU) then it will also work on the CPU's onboard GPU fine...

all requirements for illustrator are here...

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

(P.S. - unless your current computer was a VERY low spec when you bought it, i'd be surprised if it didn't work on your current machine looking at the required specifications)

I'm guessing its the GPU. My specs are i5 3337U 1.8 GHz, Intel HD 4000 GPU and 12 GB RAM.

Too many vectors and it struggles. I'm not using the latest version of Illustrator, I'm using CS4. Tried the 3D effects and it becomes unusable. I assumed the GPU would be issue especially with the 3D. Possibly CPU?

It wasn't a top spec laptop (Asus X550C) but not the lowest either. I have to say I think my old HP before it was better value for money.

I'm guessing its the GPU. My specs are i5 3337U 1.8 GHz, Intel HD 4000 GPU and 12 GB RAM.

Too many vectors and it struggles. I'm not using the latest version of Illustrator, I'm using CS4. Tried the 3D effects and it becomes unusable. I assumed the GPU would be issue especially with the 3D. Possibly CPU?

It wasn't a top spec laptop (Asus X550C) but not the lowest either. I have to say I think my old HP before it was better value for money.

That cpu and graphics is in the compatibility list, but indeed with too much it will slow down, it will run it, just be slow..

A gtx1050 or the 1060 in the one I linked will be more than enough.... Unless you're going into silly number of polys and vectors etc...

Thanks for the advice Ghozer. Will have a think about whether to go for 32GB or 16GB. I think at the least I will look out for a PC that can be upgraded to 32GB - the HP can't be upgraded, 16GB is it's maximum.

Been on Overclockers to price up a PC with varying specs.

Not sure if I am using a lot of vectors? Not sure what a lot would be classed as. I use Illustrator for both designing Logos (this doesn't use that many vectors) and also to illustrate with - this can use a far few depending on the complexity of the illustration. I'm thinking because I do use it to illustrate with that 32GB RAM might be better.

32GB of ram would be better for what you have described.

Consider also going for an AMD Ryzen 1600 6 core as its cheaper and has a good benchmark score on multi-threaded tasks but a bit slower at single threads though. The money you save could also be put towards buying a 1440p monitor then, which I'm sure would benefit you for design work.

EDIT:

Just did a quick look on Amazon as a suggestion as overclockers do tend to be a bit on the high side.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU TDP 65W 190.00

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) 2666 MHz 228.00

ASUS PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX Motherboard 72.00

Nvidia GTX 1050 GDDR5 2GB PCI-E 100.00

Corsair CC-9011077-WW Carbide Series 100R Case 55.00

Decent 500W PSU 50.00

250GB Samsung SSD 85.00

1TB Hard Drive 40.00

DVD Rom 20.00

Total £840

Edited by apelike

32GB of ram would be better for what you have described.

Consider also going for an AMD Ryzen 1600 6 core as its cheaper and has a good benchmark score on multi-threaded tasks but a bit slower at single threads though. The money you save could also be put towards buying a 1440p monitor then, which I'm sure would benefit you for design work.

EDIT:

Just did a quick look on Amazon as a suggestion as overclockers do tend to be a bit on the high side.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU TDP 65W 190.00

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) 2666 MHz 228.00

ASUS PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX Motherboard 72.00

Nvidia GTX 1050 GDDR5 2GB PCI-E 100.00

Corsair CC-9011077-WW Carbide Series 100R Case 55.00

Decent 500W PSU 50.00

250GB Samsung SSD 85.00

1TB Hard Drive 40.00

DVD Rom 20.00

Total £840

the AMD Ryzen are a good alternative at the moment...

But I wouldn't bother with a MicroATX board, only has 2 RAM slots, limits future upgradability...

also, no need for a Corsair Case (which can be got for <£50)

I would personally pay more than £50 for a PSU....

and a DVD Rom is generally pointless and left out of new builds...

I just priced up too..

i5-7600

MSI B150 "PC Mate" 1151 Board

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000

GTX 1050Ti 4GB

250GB SSD

2TB HDD

Corsair 500w PSU

Basic 'none fancy' Case

£765

Obviously the GPU could be down-graded a level, to a none Ti card, the RAM can be upgraded at a later date if needed (or during purchase)

The Asus board I quoted has 4 ram slots and can take 64GB memory although I only included 32GB of DDR4 2666 in my list. It also can use faster memory up to DDR4 3200 whereas the MSI board is limited to DDR4 2133 RAM. I agree about the case and I just chose it as an example but the build quality is good compared to some cheaper cases. As for DVD it still comes in handy for ripping CD's but yes, not strictly necessary.

Edited by apelike

Barely use my CD/DVD drive. The last time I tried to use it it had stopped working. Probably been like that for ages but because I don't use it I hadn't noticed.

I download software. My CDs were copied years ago to a NAS drive. We have USB ports in the car so music is stuck on a USB key. I don't think I would miss not having a disc drive.

Not bothered about anything fancy for a case as long as it does the job.

I will consider my options, thanks for all the advice. I won't be buying until my student loan comes in so I'm not rushing to get one. I wanna make sure I get one that I'm happy with mainly because I regret buying my current laptop.