Does anyone have experience of running a cafe?

I have seen a cafe for sale that seems like a good proposition. The one slight problem is that I have no idea how to run a cafe.

Does anyone have experience of this. My idea would be to put in a manager and staff while I did the collecting, carrying, labouring and bill paying. :)

Edited by Keith Rich

I didn't run a cafe, but a busy sandwich shop along with my sister. Even with two of us, it was really hard work. No matter how good your staff are, there are always days when they will let you down, and while they are off with a headache or tummy ache or a hangover, you have to go in even if you are literally dying! Also, although we turned the business around very quickly and started making money, we were never going to be millionaires.

That said, we had an absolute ball! There were days when we couldn't believe that we were allowed to make a living having such a good time. :hihi:

So be prepared for really, really hard work, with not much monetary return, but at the same time make sure you enjoy every minute! I definitely don't regret having done it, although I would never do it again!

I didn't run a cafe, but a busy sandwich shop along with my sister. Even with two of us, it was really hard work. No matter how good your staff are, there are always days when they will let you down, and while they are off with a headache or tummy ache or a hangover, you have to go in even if you are literally dying! Also, although we turned the business around very quickly and started making money, we were never going to be millionaires.

That said, we had an absolute ball! There were days when we couldn't believe that we were allowed to make a living having such a good time. :hihi:

So be prepared for really, really hard work, with not much monetary return, but at the same time make sure you enjoy every minute! I definitely don't regret having done it, although I would never do it again!

Now I come to think of it the place is really only a sandwich bar, with the odd seat here and there. Anyone up for it?

its not the one on chesterifleld road on the left up from ponsfords is it?

i think its for sale for around 10k and been that way for ages

its not the one on chesterifleld road on the left up from ponsfords is it?

i think its for sale for around 10k and been that way for ages

Yes I think so. Its called Red Rock and its now going for £5000. Its a good main road position near to houses, shops and factories. Should also get a lot of football custom on match days. But like I say I have no experience of running such a place but could put up the money.

Edited by Keith Rich

Ive never run a cafe myself but its something ive always wanted to do, had a idea to open a late night one but you never know who's about.

If you need any help ill help out but would have to be after work or weekends

Ive never run a cafe myself but its something ive always wanted to do, had a idea to open a late night one but you never know who's about.

If you need any help ill help out but would have to be after work or weekends

Thanks but what I need is someone who knows the business inside out.

we looked at the on your taking about,my wife who works in the catering industry was thinking about buying one, if your doing it and it will be your only source of income then i would advise against buying it, but if you just want to put a few staff in to run it and you take a small wage then i would go for it.

it was 10k back then, 5k isnt alot of money to loose if it doesnt work out

we looked at the on your taking about,my wife who works in the catering industry was thinking about buying one, if your doing it and it will be your only source of income then i would advise against buying it, but if you just want to put a few staff in to run it and you take a small wage then i would go for it.

it was 10k back then, 5k isnt alot of money to loose if it doesnt work out

Why did you and your wife decide against it? :|

wow talk about coincidence ..i just looked at the same one about 5 mins ago. i've managed a coffee bar in london previously and i was looking at the possibility of opening up a tea house in sheffield (tea is the new coffee!) but i think i'm a few years off my dream right now. i'd definetly love to go into catering again if you want a manager.

email me if you want to chat about it m x

I have a sandwich shop and outside catering business which I manage fulltime along with a small team of very reliable staff. The shop needs to be pretty busy in order to afford a managers wage alongside other staff. Be prepared to work a lot of hours for a small return.

However, if you fancy a challenge then go for it as your initial investment is not too high risk. Make sure though that you are not getting tied into a long lease that will be difficult to get out of shoulf you opt to sell the business in the near future. Good luck.