Sign in to follow this  

Asteroid "May" hit us on March 14 2014

:lol: Bet i just get my PM's back that day lol should we be worried or will it miss us by feet :P

Highly likely that it will miss us -

if it does -

I think we should at least carry out some experiment the effect if it is hit by a nuclear explosion once it safely pass earth.

It is a once in a life time chance to see if we can indeed deflect or destroy an incoming asteroid at that size and speed.

It is inevitable that we shall collide with an Asteroid sooner or later, there are literally millions of them up there flying at fantastic speeds, so, by the law of averages, it has got to happen.

I am amazed that we are not bombarded with them the whole time, because the air belt cannot burn them all up, especially the really big ones.

Originally posted by halevan

It is inevitable that we shall collide with an Asteroid sooner or later, there are literally millions of them up there flying at fantastic speeds, so, by the law of averages, it has got to happen.

I am amazed that we are not bombarded with them the whole time, because the air belt cannot burn them all up, especially the really big ones.

The thing is that, over the past few hundred million years, we have collided with all the asteroids that intercept our orbit apart from ones in extremely unusual or elliptical orbits.

Just take a look at a world map and look for circular features in coastlines; there are lots.

Halevan is right that it is inevitable, and we are probably overdue an impact according to the law of averages, but we know so little about the changing risks, that is is almost impossible to make an accurate prediction of the probability of an impact.

But it has happened before, and the planet has coped beautifully so far, so we shouldn't be too worried.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

But it has happened before, and the planet has coped beautifully so far, so we shouldn't be too worried.

The planet may have coped beautifully but not so the indigenous life forms. Look to the dinosaurs.

But worry about it? No.

Hair loss and spreading waist-line, those I'll worry about.

Originally posted by maxt

The planet may have coped beautifully but not so the indigenous life forms. Look to the dinosaurs.

Well, if the dinosaurs died out because of an asteroid impact (which I doubt, a single reason is not enough) then the mammals (the little shrew like creatures from which we are descended) did pretty well out of it. Come another impact, humans will probably be reduced in number (quite considerably if it's a big one), but not wiped out. And it won't take another 7000 years for them to return to current levels of sophistication, as much recorded knowledge will be retained.

The most vulnerable humans are we who live in heavily industrialised societies.

The animals we descended from were underground dwelling creatures, used to dark conditions and difficult-to-find food. The dinosaurs probably weren't.

The biggest problem is that without any factual evidence, it's all just speculation.

For all we know Earth could have been one gigantic shooting gallery for aliens, with dinosaurs the 'sport'!

Originally posted by halevan

I am in agreement. There will be an asteroid with Earths name on it somewhere.

Originally posted by Lickszz

I am in agreement. There will be an asteroid with Earths name on it somewhere.

And its gaurented to hit the day after i win the lotto.

Originally posted by mr craig

And its gaurented to hit the day after i win the lotto.

You could buy a spaceship and avoid it lol