Sky customers to lose eurosport & discovery channels

At the end of January, sky tv subscribers will lose all 12 channels owned by discovery,including Eurosport. Everyone who i have spoken to say they will leave sky,myself included. Your subscription will go up as usual unless you are on a fixed offer, but you will recieve even less content , in your sky contract, you have the right to cancel and not be penalised, so what will you guys do ? Jump ship to bt or virgin?https://www.sky.com/help/articles/changes-to-sky-channels?DCMP=snt-skycom:ec_channel_changes

The problem with BT is that they don't have all the Sky Sports channels either so if that's important to you, then BT is ruled out straight away. Although there are rumours that Sky will soon wholesale ALL Sky Sports channels to BT but we shall see.

Virgin do have all Sky Sports I think but like BT don't have Sky Atlantic. Looks like none of the TV operators will have every channel soon. Piracy and online illegal viewing will increase.

I reckon its a ploy by Sky to bring it out in the open so that Discovery back down.

Virgin did the same when they fell out with Sky a few years back.

It depends what you signed up for - i receive the aforementioned channels because they come as part of the package.

I can honestly say in the decades i've owned sky i've never watched any of the channels.

Not everyone can go to virgin because it isn't available in half the city and BT are crap - content wise.

If it happens I will leave at the first opportunity can only think its a ploy to try and get a better deal.

If it happens I will leave at the first opportunity can only think its a ploy to try and get a better deal.

Do you have phone and broadband with them? Check your emails, they are going up in price and you have 30 days to cancel them if you arent happy. Gives you more leverage to cancel TV too if you are cancelling other products.

Do you have phone and broadband with them? Check your emails, they are going up in price and you have 30 days to cancel them if you arent happy. Gives you more leverage to cancel TV too if you are cancelling other products.

Thanks will look into it.

I never subscribed to Sky and it hardly seems worth it now

Sky is expensive, but is good, particularly if you have Sky Q.

I have never watched any of the channels listed above, so it will be no loss for me.

I wish, however, that Sky would have a bespoke channel service, as the bulk of the channels it offers are of no interest to me.

The problem with BT is that they don't have all the Sky Sports channels either so if that's important to you, then BT is ruled out straight away. Although there are rumours that Sky will soon wholesale ALL Sky Sports channels to BT but we shall see.

Virgin do have all Sky Sports I think but like BT don't have Sky Atlantic. Looks like none of the TV operators will have every channel soon. Piracy and online illegal viewing will increase.

what i dont like now is, yes we have more choice but its the age of the exclusives, so they all have their own shows etc that arent available on competitors services :(

i dont go for the platform, i go for the show, i dont tend to like the big mainstream things, most of the ones i fancy are lesser known (until they grow bigger, ala walking dead) and are spread over various different services :(

ie:-

walking dead

turn

tyrant

ash vs the evil dead

banshee

black sails

vikings

american horror story

the exorcist

man in the high castle

game of thrones

the grand tour

etc etc

Unsurprisingly this has really upset a lot of Sky customers there is already 22 pages on Sky's own forum with many wanting to cancel.

I suspect if they carry this through they will have to offer something in return such as a (probably temporary)subscription reduction or the right to cancel.

I and a lot of my friends watch a lot of the channels affected.

I am a sky customer and have tv, broadband and phone. Haven't received an email mail or letter saying I can cancel. Not happy about losing these channels as we watch quite a few programmes on discovery channels.