Learner Drivers on motorways?

All for it, as long as it is with a proper driving instructor, as opposed to a mere full licence holder.

When my kids passed their tests, they went out with their instructors for a 3 hour session on motorways, learing how to overtake, merge, exit and join. Probably one of the best lessons they each had.

I had a couple of post-test lessons on the motorway, and they were very useful. The AA were doing an offer of free lessons to nervous new drivers (this was back in 2009), and I was lucky enough to be accepted. I'd had an accident, which knocked my confidence, and I had no experience of motorway driving. I still use his advice today, specifically on overtaking technique and always returning to the left lane.

Those two hours were very valuable, and should be part of standard training.

From what I saw on the News it seems a sensible idea for car drivers. I didn't really understand how the new changes will affect motorbike riders.

motorways are the safest roads. There's no bends, no junctions, almost no inclines, no pedestrians, dogs, or cyclists, and all the traffic (usually at least) is only going in one direction. It would make more sense if learners were to spend time on motorways earlier in their courses rather than later.

the big safety thing about motorways is not the motorway itself - they are the safest roads - but adapting to the traffic conditions when you leave the motorway. Suddenly there is all sorts of stuff that wasn't there before - junctions, traffic lights, roundabouts, pedestrians, dogs, cyclists and oncoming traffic, plus while on the motorway you may have conditioned yourself to driving at a higher speed than you should once you get off it.

motorways are the safest roads. There's no bends, no junctions, almost no inclines, no pedestrians, dogs, or cyclists, and all the traffic (usually at least) is only going in one direction. It would make more sense if learners were to spend time on motorways earlier in their courses rather than later.

the big safety thing about motorways is not the motorway itself - they are the safest roads - but adapting to the traffic conditions when you leave the motorway. Suddenly there is all sorts of stuff that wasn't there before - junctions, traffic lights, roundabouts, pedestrians, dogs, cyclists and oncoming traffic, plus while on the motorway you may have conditioned yourself to driving at a higher speed than you should once you get off it.

No it makes more sense for learners to gain confidence on the quieter roads with less traffic first, than motorways. I know more than one driver, who avoid motorways because the volume and speed of the traffic make them nervous.

anybody who avoids motorways and instead takes rural type roads to undertake longer journeys needs their heads examining because they are at a stroke exchanging the very safest roads, which motorways are, for the most dangerous ones.

anybody who avoids motorways and instead takes rural type roads to undertake longer journeys needs their heads examining because they are at a stroke exchanging the very safest roads, which motorways are, for the most dangerous ones.

Maybe this is why motorways are so safe - because people hold off going on them until they are ready and people are alert (and extra safe) on motorways because they perceive them to be more dangerous.

I think its a good idea for people to have additional lessons for motorway. That offer from AA sounds fantastic!

When I was learning to drive hgv,s I was taken on motorway all time so don't see why it should be any different for car drivers tbh

Also they should make another test compulsory for anyone who buys a high powered German car - maybe call it the 'I can drive without being the end of a bell' test?

Just a thought. ?....

Maybe this is why motorways are so safe - because people hold off going on them until they are ready and people are alert (and extra safe) on motorways.......

Have you every driven on a motorway? They aren't full of extra safe drivers it's just everyone is going in the same direction, junctions are ordered and well signposted, no blind corners or pedestrians and the roads are in good condition.

They're still full of idiots - I drove past someone (I was a passenger) who was watching a YouTube video! People faffing with phones, not signalling, don't use mirrors, driving too close, middle lane dawdling - it's all there!

I took the Passplus course after learning to drive which included motorway driving.

I then use to use the motorway to go to my sisters in Barnsley (from Sheffield) at daft o'clock on a Sunday morning, quiet and great practice. I gained more confidence and, hey presto, now love motorway driving

I had a couple of post-test lessons on the motorway, and they were very useful. The AA were doing an offer of free lessons to nervous new drivers (this was back in 2009), and I was lucky enough to be accepted. I'd had an accident, which knocked my confidence, and I had no experience of motorway driving. I still use his advice today, specifically on overtaking technique and always returning to the left lane.

Those two hours were very valuable, and should be part of standard training.

That's a great idea. It's way overdue that we had a rethink on motorway training.

I wonder how many people bother having lessons on the motorway after they've passed their test? I'm guessing it's not that many (including me- I made do with a bit of tutoring fro my dad, who was an HGV driver, not sure if that was a good thing or not!).

What we have now is the paradox that learners aren't allowed on the motorways with their instructors, and then when they pass they're off, making it up as they (literally) go along! Hence the proliferation of sitting in the middle lane, hogging the third lane, tailgating etc.

I would say a period of compulsary motoway lessons (say 3 hours maybe?) before new drivers are let loose would be the way to go about it. I'm sure it would be possible to log this electronically with people's licences, the authorities seem to be able to record pretty much everything else about us.....maybe that's not such a great idea after all...

Edited by Olive