Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

For example, in a recent thread about people queuing in one lane when there are two, some people become annoyed with people passing in the empty lane. Would you/do you/have you tried to prevent people doing this? Either straddling the lanes, blocking the other lane or just not allowing them back in at the merge?

If you're being overtaken in everyday driving, do you speed up to try and make it harder for the person to get back in lane?

For example, in a recent thread about people queuing in one lane when there are two, some people become annoyed with people passing in the empty lane. Would you/do you/have you tried to prevent people doing this? Either straddling the lanes, blocking the other lane or just not allowing them back in at the merge?

If you're being overtaken in everyday driving, do you speed up to try and make it harder for the person to get back in lane?

Doing either of those (blocking/speeding up) is just childish and,in my opinion.stupid

Getting into the wrong lane which is clear only to then try to push in at the front of the other lane is pretty endemic on the Sheffield roads.

With the people speeding up as you overtake them I've had it done a few times, actually when you think about it quite often.

Usually it's on the motorway and of little consequence, but if it's on an A-road it can be potentially quite dangerous.

As a motorcyclist I often encounter other motorists who appear enraged at the fact that I have passed them, or want to pass them. They, as you say, speed up, close gaps between the car in front or tailgate after the manoeuvre. Why? I have only taken a few feet of their road space and more often than not I have moved on within a short distance/time.

There are also those who blatantly block a motorcyclist’s way when legitimately filtering between lanes on congested roads. Jealousy?

As for queuing where two lanes merge into one, e.g. at roadworks or say the bottom of Prince Of Wales Road, both lanes should be occupied and traffic allowed to merge one at a time, like a zip, at the end. If everyone did this nobody gets any advantage over others and it helps prevent congestion further back up the road, like at the Parkway/Prince roundabout.

Where say the left lane is queuing to go left and the empty right lane is for straight on, that’s a different matter. However who amongst us has not accidentally chosen the wrong lane? Especially in unfamiliar territory and found they need to get into the queue in the other lane. Personally I indicate and slow, or stop, as soon as I realise my mistake and hope that some kind soul takes pity and lets me in. Rather than motoring on to the front, which then looks like you are taking the….. Extracting the urine.

Just my twopence worth

No.

Because I'm not a nob.

There is one place where people pushing in at the front of the queue causes me to stay close to the car in front and not allow anyone to move in.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mottram+in+Longdendale/@53.4593776,-2.0036616,3a,75y,263.75h,82.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sHHRoNtWPtvwwPV847yjRiw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DHHRoNtWPtvwwPV847yjRiw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D345.19238%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bc985dbd9a4cf:0x5f6f2f08f203ad97!8m2!3d53.459498!4d-2.013286

Here.

In this case the right hand lane is quite clearly marked for turning right, and to use it to bypass a straight on queue and then push in is not merging in turn, but really is queue jumping.

With the people speeding up as you overtake them I've had it done a few times, actually when you think about it quite often.

Usually it's on the motorway and of little consequence, but if it's on an A-road it can be potentially quite dangerous.

It happens all the time on the M1. One of my biggest frustrations on the motorway is when a lorry in overtaking in lane 2 and then that pushes the slower traffic into lane three but some folks pass the lorry as though they're scared of it, travelling at like 65mph, then they pull back into the middle lane and speed up to 70/75mph can't get my head around why the travel slower whilst over taking.

Speeding up when being overtaken is dangerous, my Grandad was like it though, his attitude was I am doing the speed limit so anyone going round me is breaking the law, I told him many a times that his attitude was horrific but he wasn't changing. He also wouldn't let "posh" cars out at junctions :hihi:

There is one place where people pushing in at the front of the queue causes me to stay close to the car in front and not allow anyone to move in.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mottram+in+Longdendale/@53.4593776,-2.0036616,3a,75y,263.75h,82.69t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sHHRoNtWPtvwwPV847yjRiw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DHHRoNtWPtvwwPV847yjRiw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D345.19238%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487bc985dbd9a4cf:0x5f6f2f08f203ad97!8m2!3d53.459498!4d-2.013286

Here.

In this case the right hand lane is quite clearly marked for turning right, and to use it to bypass a straight on queue and then push in is not merging in turn, but really is queue jumping.

I used to drive up there a lot and yes, I did the same.

Funny how if you look at this a few yards up that road you can see a car doing exactly that and pulling in front of the Utopia lorry.

Edited by Berberis

I don't block people overtaking or passing me, but I do block the driver's view from behind me when they straddle the white lines in the middle of the road in a traffic jam and we're moving slowly or not at all.

It's a pointless thing to do, and quite intimidating too - it looks like you're trying for an overtake or making a point that I'm not going fast enough - hey, I can only go as fast as the car in front of me... and them the car in front of them etc, etc.

What I find amusing is the road works on the A57 through Worksop, in spite of having signs saying merge in turn/use both lanes to queue when busy, people still only queue in one lane and make attempts to stop other drivers following the instructions!

What I find amusing is the road works on the A57 through Worksop, in spite of having signs saying merge in turn/use both lanes to queue when busy, people still only queue in one lane and make attempts to stop other drivers following the instructions!
I had a fun one there 2 or 3 weeks ago, when I drove down the empty lane and 'forced the zipper' at the end.

The lady driver in the metallic grey Picasso (who deliberately floored it as I was getting level with her, to try and tailgate the car in front of her to stop me from getting in - but bottled out in the end) was not best pleased :D

As for accelerating whilst being undertaken, I'm afraid that's my one and only red-rag-to-a-bull (on single carriage lanes only, doesn't bother me on multi-lanes/motorways). The last idiot who accelerated whilst I was overtaking them (-safely and with signals) on a single carriage way, ended up with a very close shave of the ditch, and no doubt a fair bit of jetwash workout to do.

Anyone who's ever done that to me, I don't slow down (unless I have to for safety's sake) and I don't try to out-accelerate them, I just match-speed and pull over slowly and steadily into them. They either slow down, or they get pushed over. Never had to push anyone over, yet. And it's been pretty rare occurrences, thankfully. Strangely, always by Ronnie Pickering/OAP types.

Here.

I got caught out there many years ago, the first time I'd driven on that road to Manchester. I assumed it was a dual carriageway at least to the top of the hill, I either wasn't looking properly or the signage leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't remember being aware the lane was going to turn right until I saw the arrow painted on the road.

These days I tend to overtake the slower moving traffic at the bottom of the hill before pulling into the left, which still means I have a long distance of being in the left lane before the actual junction; I don't know if that counts as cutting in on people or not?