Sheffield sayings and rhymes

The mention of 'tutty pegs' reminds me of a saying used by my old father in law. 'Tha' wants ma' peg'. It's a world away from 'tutty peg' territory, but a saying none the less.

Mind you he worked down the pit, and we all know what THEY were like.

hiya if your father in law said that, he was referring to a male organ thats why you never heard a woman say it. yea.

One thing that my parents used to say has always puzzled my OH, They would always call a magazine a"Book" or they would have said "BOOOK" If my Mum asked hmi to pass her wimmins booook he would be looking all over for a proper book till she said "frame will ya its next to thee foot" He would look at her "Gone out" (theres another saying for you) wheres that from.

I can see where your coming from Willybite, but I definitely remember it as PIPPY not puppet..

my mum said "Pippy Show" if something was going a bit awry (skew-whiff? as in "Tha's medd a Reyt Pippy-Show o' that!") or that I or my sister were attempting to go out dressed up or with make-up on. she would declare that we looked a reyt pippy-show.

I often wondered if the shop Pippy's on Cambridge Street was named for that, or if it was that a "Pippy Show" got the name from the shop.

(God! I miss Pippys and the patchouli oil! {hippy juice!})

Remember when coke, lemonade etc etc was called pop and the pop man used to deliver it to your door?

Another one springs to mind...(maybe thats another one...springs to mind!!) and thats when something goes wrong...I tend to say...Gordon Bennet....wonder if this is sheffield talk or just me!! Hubby keeps saying..this gorden bennet bloke has a lot to answer to....anyone else heard that one?

Remember when coke, lemonade etc etc was called pop and the pop man used to deliver it to your door?

My sister still has a pop man come round... in fact she rang me earlier this evening to say he had delivered her some this afternoon...:hihi: And I can remember as a little girl taking the 'empties' back to the chippy and getting a free bag of chips...

Yep - at first it came in pint bottles and was delivered by SYDS (South Yorkshire Direct Supplies). Later it came in two-pint bottles from Alpine Soft Drinks who I think took over SYDS. Their pineapple pop was delicious.:)

i remember the Barrs (bars?) pop man, and taking the empties back for the deposit :) spendin' it on sweeties!

also the fletchers van, yummy cream cakes!

And how about Worthy's sharra - a plum coloured old coach filled with spice (sweets not curry powder) and probably tons of other stuff, but we were only interested in the spice. We used to call him the Sunday Man but I suppose he went to other areas on different days. He was a moody bloke; maungey one week and jokey the next.

First Job - the misadventures of two 70s Sheffield lads at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

Another one springs to mind...(maybe thats another one...springs to mind!!) and thats when something goes wrong...I tend to say...Gordon Bennet....wonder if this is sheffield talk or just me!! Hubby keeps saying..this gorden bennet bloke has a lot to answer to....anyone else heard that one?

Gordon Bennett wasn't a local lad.. see here...

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gordon-bennett.html

MMMMmmm.. I used to love Jusoda and Dandelion & Burdock, and frozen Jublies in the summer.

Do you remeber the old coaches (sharras) that used to come 'round selling fruit and veg and sweets? They smelled great.

My wife still calls me a gormy bl**der.

Perhaps I've got too much gorm.:|

Good point there Jack, the two words gormy and gomless would appear to be the converse of each other but actually have the same meaning