Sign in to follow this  

B. & Q.

We have visited the new B. & Q. store on Queens road, quite a few times recently and I have used their motor chair to be able to get around the store, as it is so very big and tiring to walk around.

The assistants are very good and willing to help with lifting heavy bags, then offer to load them into our car, each time I have accepted their help and been very gratefull for the work they have done for me.

Now my point is this, Am I under an obligation to tip them each time? because I feel as though I should, when I look at their faces as I am about to drive away. Is it expected? or must I think that they are getting paid a wage to help me and other people anyhow.

Each time I feel embarrassed and slightly humiliated, when I do not have any money for gratuities. Does anyone else feel the same as I do? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

i suppose it depends if you buy owt :lol:

if you just scooted around the shop and dint buy anything it might be different.

if i worked there id feel embarrassed to accept money from people, because it'd be what i get paid minimum wage for :lol:

nah. i work in a shop and when i help people carry stuff to their cars i never expect any money and nor have i ever received any. Its just park of the job and it would be boring if no-one ever needed any help.

I wouldn't tip em. I really only tip at the Barbers, Restaurants and Taxi's... depending on service.

If you visited a place where I was work the door; I keep the trouble makers out of the building.... sometimes causing me grief in the mean time. Which you guys don't see so I'm performing a service of keeping you safe.

I dont expect a tip for it... thats what I'm paid for!

If you wanna tip... feel free, but I would NEVER expect it!

Originally posted by halevan

We have visited the new B. & Q. store on Queens road, quite a few times recently and I have used their motor chair to be able to get around the store, as it is so very big and tiring to walk around.

The assistants are very good and willing to help with lifting heavy bags, then offer to load them into our car, each time I have accepted their help and been very gratefull for the work they have done for me.

Now my point is this, Am I under an obligation to tip them each time? because I feel as though I should, when I look at their faces as I am about to drive away. Is it expected? or must I think that they are getting paid a wage to help me and other people anyhow.

Each time I feel embarrassed and slightly humiliated, when I do not have any money for gratuities. Does anyone else feel the same as I do? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I would be surprised if B & Q allow their staff to receive any kind of tips.

I'm not certain about B&Q but with most chain stores the staff should refuse tips and instead request that you send in a brief letter to the manager saying how kind and helpful they were.

I don't think people should be expected to be tipped, certainl not in this country!!

I assume you have a disability and people SHOULD go out of there way to help others that might have difficulty with anything, and not expect to be paid.

I blame the yanks!! ha ha ha

Al :)

I recall that when I worked at M&S we were not allowed to accept tips. I think part of the problem is that a fundametal rule of retail work is that you are not allowed your own money on the shop floor, so accepting a tip would contravene this.

If you feel you have been looked after especially well, do send a letter or something though. That sort of thing is both rewarding to the employee in the short term and management do remember things like that so they are more likely to get a performance related pay boost or promotion.