Social Media Management

Hi,

I have been away from Sheffield Forum for a while. Just thought I'd check in with a question (or 5).

Do businesses treat social media management seriously? Ever business from dog walkers to Apple should, but I don't think many do.

Do you own a business? Do you use social media? Do you think its important?

Thoughts?

It sounds as though you are touting for business. What is your experience of social media?

Our experience is that it depends very much on your target demographic. We are business to business. We have been asking our customers and potential customers this for the last eight years. Most of them are still fifty plus and don't use social media for work, many don't use it personally either. We have been using Twitter but it hasn't brought in any new business so we now just put one tweet out most working days.

As above, target demographic is a main factor involved in whether a company should utilise their social media management more. Stereo typically, those who are older are reached via other advertising techniques such as newspaper ads or tv advertisements and those of a younger generation are more drawn towards the social media idea.

Social Media Marketing is very important in business, targeting the right audience is a must, however you have to be careful and make sure you know how to use the marketing side of things on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc or it'll be money wasted. Most folk i find don't like to invest in their business, get scared of paying a monthly fee for services which is quite comical, the whole point in considering marketing is to expand your brand isn't it?

Apple would have a very different approach to social to the £10/hour dog walker.

For Apple, "social" would be just another marketing channel. For the £10 per hour dog walker, "getting the word out" will be the only marketing they do.

Do you have a view on this yourself?

Businesses are, but only if there's a smart strategy involved with a promising ROI. They want to be able to see growth, via analytics and reach and inquiries. Not just someone who updates their Facebook page and updates the status randomly with no end goal.

Depends on your target market and your overall budget.

For a Dog Walker Facebook will be their main outlet, they'll likely get reviews and ratings, be shared by friends and family and build their business up that way.

For Apple, it's another channel.

As with any marketing - for businesses it's about ROI, is it worth the investment? Are the target audience there? Can we see growth? Is our goal to grow the social media channels etc.

I'm a marketing manager within a retail company, social media is one of the outlets used but it isn't the most important. The products being sold aren't allowed to be advertised through Facebook - so it's just a method of re-engaging / answering questions.

Businesses are, but only if there's a smart strategy involved with a promising ROI. They want to be able to see growth, via analytics and reach and inquiries. Not just someone who updates their Facebook page and updates the status randomly with no end goal.

Yep, I'm with you.

A half heated business Twitter feed is superficial and off putting. Like finding an article that was obviously just written for SEO. "This wasn't written for people. Why am I here?". It's depressing.

Of course, if you can make something that is interesting and useful it's really great, for engagement, loyalty, SEO, all sorts. But have a think about what you're actually offering.

Yep, I'm with you.

A half heated business Twitter feed is superficial and off putting. Like finding an article that was obviously just written for SEO. "This wasn't written for people. Why am I here?". It's depressing.

Of course, if you can make something that is interesting and useful it's really great, for engagement, loyalty, SEO, all sorts. But have a think about what you're actually offering.

That's all well and good if your target market are using Twitter. Its a waste of time if they aren't even on social media. Quite a lot of our target market (according to current customers) still aren't using social media for personal use or for business.

As with any marketing - for businesses it's about ROI, is it worth the investment? Are the target audience there? Can we see growth? Is our goal to grow the social media channels etc.

... and how are people measuring the effectiveness of their financial investment for any given marketing activity or channel?

... and how are people measuring the effectiveness of their financial investment for any given marketing activity or channel?

The user hasn't logged back on since 26th. I wonder if (s)he will be back?

The user hasn't logged back on since 26th. I wonder if (s)he will be back?

Was more of an open comment to be honest, how does anyone measure the effectiveness of their marketing/advertising?