Bath Hotel Sheffield

It's very hard to tell as it could be quite possible that the brewery itself and the pubs are run by completely different companies so that if one part makes a loss the whole thing doesn't go under. We also need to remeber that all the Richard Smith/Thornbridge ventures are a seperate company as well. Looking on that websites it's very interesting as James Harrison, Simon Webster and Richard Smith all seem to be directors of various companies that are all linked in some way and if you look on the company information at least 2 or the 3 if not all of them are also directors of the same company. I dont know how accurate the information is on that website but if you look at some of the figures they are showing losses???

Back to beer. I`ve had some good and some not so good beers in the Bath Hotel but at least there was a selection from different breweries plus excellent Deception to fall back on if needed. Personally I loved the ambience of the place and just hope that is not `brewkitchened` or `mckeed` too much.

Yes I like the ambience of the place as it is. And I drink cider so it doesn't matter to me :)

At least the Harrisons are investing their money in local businesses creating local jobs. I'd much rather they invest their money in ventures like Thornbridge Brewery, A4e etc employing Sheffield people (one of my mates works for A4e), rather than sit on their money or invest it all down South creating jobs down there.

I agree with some of this: If these are long-term investments, all well and good. If they are more for tax efficiency or some other less transparent purpose than a desire to run a chain of better-than-average themed boozers, then what happens when the accountants find a new wheeze and the chain is sold off to the highest bidder? A nice little place like the Bath could be re-branded as some other type of bar altogether and Sheffield has lost a gem.

Another issue is the speed with which this is all happening. Is this driven by prices in the pub sector (presumably quite favourable) or or by other financial desires? Too rapid growth can cause problems which would again lead to the chain being sold off, perhaps rather hastily.

My final problem is a personal one with Thornbridge brewing. In the Greystones and in the Hallamshire, I have been forced to drink the over-hopped and often too-alcoholic stock beers because no other style has been available (I do like the Stout, mind you). Never a problem in the Kelham Island Tavern, Fat Cat, Harlequin, Welly, Shakespeares etc where choice is often much wider. I really hope that none of my favourite places gets the Thornbridge treatment.

My final problem is a personal one with Thornbridge brewing. In the Greystones and in the Hallamshire, I have been forced to drink the over-hopped and often too-alcoholic stock beers because no other style has been available (I do like the Stout, mind you). Never a problem in the Kelham Island Tavern, Fat Cat, Harlequin, Welly, Shakespeares etc where choice is often much wider. I really hope that none of my favourite places gets the Thornbridge treatment.

I tend to be a big fan of the Thornbridge Beers, so I'm happy when pubs that I wouldn't normally frequent get the 'Thornbridge treatment'.

I do understand where you're coming from with The Bath Hotel though. Although I've never been impressed with the beer range there (I'm more a fan of the Red Deer and University Arms), it does seem to have a very loyal customer base who go there regularly and like what's on offer.

Thornbridge will obviously put their own brands in, but hopefully these will supplement the existing mix of beers on offer and there won't be a big price hike........I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Regards

Doom

Edited by Doom

A lot of people associate Thornbridge with strong hoppy beers (Jaipur and Kipling). To be fair they have all sorts. Last one I had was Brock, which is a nice, `normal` stout and only 4% ish. They have all beer bases covered.

A lot of people associate Thornbridge with strong hoppy beers (Jaipur and Kipling). To be fair they have all sorts. Last one I had was Brock, which is a nice, `normal` stout and only 4% ish. They have all beer bases covered.

The stock range to be found in their pubs is the strong hoppy stuff. I am happy to believe they can brew any style of beer and do a good job, but will other styles be on when you are in a Thornbridge pub? In several visits, I have found the range a bit limited and have stopped going. Why bother when other places do a wider range of styles? This is true even somewhere like the Rising Sun which is a bit of an Abbeydale house.

The stock range to be found in their pubs is the strong hoppy stuff. QUOTE]

Depends which pubs and when; you`ve been unfortunate. Recently I`ve had Browne, Brock, Pollards, McConnells, Raven; all dark with various abvs and degrees of hoppiness.

The stock range to be found in their pubs is the strong hoppy stuff. I am happy to believe they can brew any style of beer and do a good job, but will other styles be on when you are in a Thornbridge pub? In several visits, I have found the range a bit limited and have stopped going. Why bother when other places do a wider range of styles? This is true even somewhere like the Rising Sun which is a bit of an Abbeydale house.

Well in news on that front, one of the Thornbridge brewers tweeted the following yesterday

We're taking over The Bath Hotel in Sheffield. As well as our own, we're going to showcase some of Britain's best beer from other breweries.

So hopefully they are going to listen to concerns about lack of guest ales, and hopefully the guest beers will be from a decent range of brewers.

Well in news on that front, one of the Thornbridge brewers tweeted the following yesterday

We're taking over The Bath Hotel in Sheffield. As well as our own, we're going to showcase some of Britain's best beer from other breweries.

I'll be happy to give it a try!

I'll be happy to give it a try!

That sounds very promising.

The guests they`ve had at Coach and Horses have been excellent imho (Fyne, Magic Rock, Dark Star). :)

Now let`s hope that they don`t mess with the interior.

So hopefully they are going to listen to concerns about lack of guest ales, and hopefully the guest beers will be from a decent range of brewers.

The only negative I can see with that is cost.

If they showcase the likes of Marble and Brewdog then the beer is likely to come with a hefty price tag, which I can see putting off quite a few of the regulars there.

If they showcase local and more obscure breweries as seems to be the case at the moment with The Bath, then hopefully the price won't be prohibitive and everybody will be happy....Or should that be hoppy. :D

Regards

Doom