The Liberal Democrats - all discussion here please

With the increase in threads about party politics, both local and national, on the forum we have decided that to create a level playing field we will allow one thread for each party to discuss policies. This thread is for discussing the policies of the Liberal Democrat party.

Our normal rule of not posting links directly to the parties still applies so please respect this rule.

:o

Is that you Mr Nick?

I always considered my self a LibDem, but policies change every election. Its not very trendy at the moment.

Lib-Dems expecting no MEPs;

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/21/lib-dems-braced-for-wipeout-in-european-poll

Latest opinion polls say UKIP and Labour 27%, Tories 23%, Lib-Dems 10%, Greens 8%. Based on that I'd expect Labour to win assuming UKIP lose some votes to An Independence From Europe. Which would be funny.

I always considered my self a LibDem, but policies change every election. Its not very trendy at the moment.

It must be hard graft for the rank and file members and the foot soldiers who go on the knock when they are constantly bombarded with negative comments about Nick Clegg

Do you reckon He'll throw in the towel soon and take a job in the E.U. or try to weasel his way into another stint as Asst. P.M.?

It must be hard graft for the rank and file members and the foot soldiers who go on the knock when they are constantly bombarded with negative comments about Nick Clegg

Do you reckon He'll throw in the towel soon and take a job in the E.U. or try to weasel his way into another stint as Asst. P.M.?

I think that they will do ok in 2015, at least not a colapse. People used to hate the Tories, after Thatcher got kicked out, now its the LibDems turn.

So when nick joins the tories who will lead the libdems or will they just dissolve?

Lib Dems have been sold down the river by the Conservatives who have used them as whipping boys.

Everything that's gone right with this coalition government the Conservatives have taken credit for; everything that's gone wrong the Conservatives have put the blame on the Lib Dems.

It's a shame 'cause the Lib Dems have worked hard at being a moderating influence and still have some measure of integrity, whereas Cameron and his Conservative cronies are a bunch of untrustworthy, arrogant slimeballs.

People used to hate the Tories, after Thatcher got kicked out.

Used to? Have you wondered why they couldn't get a majority even after the Brown years?

Only after Thatcher went? I take it you weren't around in the 80s.

As for the Lib-Dems, I got a leaflet off them a couple of days ago and it was probably the best one I've received during the campaign in that it looked professional and talked about Europe. It's not going to do them any good though.

---------- Post added 22-05-2014 at 08:19 ----------

Lib Dems have been sold down the river by the Conservatives who have used them as whipping boys.

Everything that's gone right with this coalition government the Conservatives have taken credit for; everything that's gone wrong the Conservatives have put the blame on the Lib Dems.

You'd have to blame the Lib-Dems for that for being stupid enough to let it happen.

You'd have to blame the Lib-Dems for that for being stupid enough to let it happen.
They've long struck me as well-meaning but insufficiently experienced (politically) to successfully navigate the shark-infested waters of Westminster and surrounding area :(

Their minority status in the Coalition won't have helped one bit, of course...but their PR machine has been spectacularly woeful at mitigating the Tory-dished political misdirection since the very beginning.

For shame. I had much higher hopes for Cable. He's done good, but not good enough.

UK needs to double number of new homes to 300,000 a year: Vince Cable

Business secretary says some will have to be built on green belt if dangerous levels of house price inflation are to be avoided.

Here's an idea for Vince Cable, what about if we don't build on green belt and we cut the number of people coming to live in Britain instead. There are 238,000 households in Sheffield, is it realistic to build more than that each years just to accommodate an expanding population caused by high immigration.