Fed up of selfish people having fires

Then you can complain to the council if

- it is a frequent nuisance

- it is polluting and/or a heath hazard

Fire is without doubt a heath hazard :)

There are no times for garden bonfires, they are only allowed if you are not causing a nuisance to neighbours, which for most people in Sheffield isn't possible, unless you live on a farm or a long way from other houses.

For some reason many people think they are allowed after 7pm which isn't the case.

I think that you may need to brush up on your understanding of 'nuisance' as it applies to such fires.

A single occurrence will not be defined as 'nuisance'.

For some reason many people think they are allowed after 7pm which isn't the case.

I have that information at the back of my head for some reason. It goes back many years though.

I think that you may need to brush up on your understanding of 'nuisance' as it applies to such fires.

A single occurrence will not be defined as 'nuisance'.

This thread isn't about a single occurrence if you read the original post. It is about regular garden bonfires affecting residents with smoke which is a nuisance.

This thread isn't about a single occurrence if you read the original post. It is about regular garden bonfires affecting residents with smoke which is a nuisance.

I am perfectly well aware of the subject of the thread.

Your post was inaccurate and my response still stands.

I am perfectly well aware of the subject of the thread.

Your post was inaccurate and my response still stands.

Well I don't think it was inaccurate in response to the question which was regarding regular fires.

But I am not interested in petty point scoring, the main point of this thread is to try and encourage people not to light bonfires that effect their neighbours by filling their homes and gardens with smoke.

It's no much consolation if this occurs as a one off but still ruins your day..... or night if the smoke is seeping in through bedroom window. Particularly if you get a number of one offs from different residents.

It's consideration to your neighbour that is the key and as I said previously it's not really possible to have a garden bonfire and not effect neighbours, unless you live some distance away.

But incredibly so many people think they are can have bonfires and are oblivious to the smoke emissions drifting all over the place.

Few of our neighbours do it once or twice a year and we don't consider that a nuisance.

Few of our neighbours do it once or twice a year and we don't consider that a nuisance.

thats fine, but of course other neighbours who have their garden or house affected by smoke may disagree.

I don't live on a farm and am adjacent to neighbours.

I am allowed to have a bonfire.

Your post was inaccurate and your subsequent post was critical and in the manner of point scoring which rendered your further post hypocritical.

Full house!

I don't live on a farm and am adjacent to neighbours.

I am allowed to have a bonfire.

Your post was inaccurate and your subsequent post was critical and in the manner of point scoring which rendered your further post hypocritical.

Full house!

You can have a bonfire only if you do not cause a nuisance to neighbours ......or you could just decide irrespective of nuisance to put others before yourself and dispose or your waste in a proper manner rather than burn it.

A couple of years ago I rang Sheffield environmental services about the best way to get rid of my garden waste, I was advised that burning it was a good option, I was also told that the after 6pm rule that is often banded about was just a myth.

I tend now to just have a fire, on Nov 5th or over the Guy Fawkes weekend.