Air conditioning

I always see people getting it wrong in this country when the mercury starts rising.

Outside air temperature is coolest first thing in the morning so open all the windows.

As the morning progresses and the outside temperature rises, you need to insulate your property to trap in the cooler air. This means closing all windows and blocking direct sunlight as much as possible.. close those curtains! Turn off any electronics that produce heat (xbox/sky box etc).

Avoid switching on downlights/spotlights that have hallogen bulbs in them. They produce allot of heat!

This few weeks every year when it's actually hot and rather close, I consider investing a few hundred quid in an air conditioning unit for the bedroom, just to make it easier to sleep...

It can live in the utility room the rest of the time, and maybe do double duty as a de humidifier.

Anyone else think the same, or has actually gone and done it?

Got it downstairs (I could shift it upstairs but I can sleep on the surface of the sun if required) and it's worth every penny the last couple of days. You might need to fork out big money for one with a decent dehumidifier as my one has the capacity of about a 50ml for the dehumidifier. Got it from Appliances direct, you might struggle to get one with any kind of umph from currys and the like. You might need to get used to the humm - it's a bit loud, not Hoover loud, but louder than a fan.

Don't do it. A fan is as much use and far cheaper. Air con is often noisy and leaves you with a headache and dried-out sinuses.

I have been thinking about one of those tall fans, but does the tallness detract from the power?

Would I be better with just a fan?

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 06:33 ----------

Thinking about a 12v fan for the minibus too, it has aircon, but it seems way under powered.

Too late now, but it may come in uses, once a year.

Don't do it. A fan is as much use and far cheaper. Air con is often noisy and leaves you with a headache and dried-out sinuses.

I've slept in plenty of air conditioned hotel rooms and never suffered from a headache or sinus problems.

A fan is cheaper and much less effective!

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 07:41 ----------

UK is not too bad it doesn't get really hot as an island surrounded by relatively cool oceans. Aircon can be intense, it affects skin, stiff body and they are not environmental friendly.

Tell that to the 30+ degrees we had yesterday, and today looks like it will be the same.

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 07:42 ----------

Got it downstairs (I could shift it upstairs but I can sleep on the surface of the sun if required) and it's worth every penny the last couple of days. You might need to fork out big money for one with a decent dehumidifier as my one has the capacity of about a 50ml for the dehumidifier. Got it from Appliances direct, you might struggle to get one with any kind of umph from currys and the like. You might need to get used to the humm - it's a bit loud, not Hoover loud, but louder than a fan.

I've ordered from the same place you used, delivery wed when I'm working at home.

I'm fairly sure that the noise will be less intrusive than the temperature, and I can always use earplugs...

Can't have one unfortunately, seemingly you have to vent it outsite, generally through an open window with a sealing kit which means, to my wife, we will be overrun with hordes of burglars marching through the tiny little window we'd have to leave open, so we must suffer.

Had one for a few years now used it yesterday had to turn thermostat on it up as I was cold.

Got mine from B&Q.

I got mine from the same place. Picked it up myself from Huddersfield. Cost £300.

Can't have one unfortunately, seemingly you have to vent it outsite, generally through an open window with a sealing kit which means, to my wife, we will be overrun with hordes of burglars marching through the tiny little window we'd have to leave open, so we must suffer.

Drill a big hole in the wall and vent it that way.

Lots of DIY air-conditioners on youtube, here's one of them:

I have twelve air conditioning units at Area 51 and a Half™ … they're called 'windows'.

decided to use your (method) last night. bedroom door open, bedroom window open, bathroom window open. felt a lovely cooling air flow over me.

4 bottles of kronenbourg 1664 .660mls. 5% vol.and I'm dead to the world.

trouble is I had"ent bargained for all the unwanted bugs that decided to visit me, moths, daddy long legs, midges, flys, and I suspect mosquitos. woke up this morning covered in insect bites. that's another fine mess you"ve got me into. think I"ll stick with the stiff neck and use air conditioning units.(proper ones) :mad: