Sheffield Forum
Your message here

No planning permission - consequences?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield Property & Housing

Reply To Topic

23-03-2017, 09:15   #41
Cyclone

Total Posts: 67,418
You're phrasing it in such a way that it implies it. You also previously used the word snitch which as I said is pejorative.
Perhaps you don't intend it to come across this way, but you seem to be passively aggressively saying that people should only report things if they are directly harmed.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
23-03-2017, 15:52   #42
mafya

Total Posts: 7,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
You're phrasing it in such a way that it implies it. You also previously used the word snitch which as I said is pejorative.
Perhaps you don't intend it to come across this way, but you seem to be passively aggressively saying that people should only report things if they are directly harmed.
In this scenario if someone is doing something and it effects the neighbours property then yes they should be reported to the relevant people.
If the work does not affect the neighbours then I personally would not report them as it is their property.
Committing a crime is a different matter and should be reported every time regardless if anyone is hurt.
23-03-2017, 16:49   #43
Cyclone

Total Posts: 67,418
That's up to you, but I wouldn't criticise someone or call them a snitch for reporting work done without PP or building regs.
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
23-03-2017, 17:31   #44
Margarita Ma

Total Posts: 952
My bold=
I have a chapatti on my shoulder and not a chip thank you.[COLOR="Silver"]

I think we have a cross cultural language problem here. so at the risk of seeming paternalistic,
The term quoted above has nothing to do with fast food it originates in a trade, Joinery and cabinet making where shaping would first be done by "chipping out" with rough tools before using finer tools and then sanding to a smooth finish and finally polishing.

www.dictionary.com/browse/snitch
Word Origin and History for snitch Expand. n. "informer," 1785, probably from underworld slang meaning "the nose" (1700), which apparently developed from an earlier meaning "fillip on the nose" (1670s).

During these turbulent times in English History informing on someones political or religious affiliations and activities could earn handsome rewards or perhaps save a person own head from the noose and Other more dreadful ends. Since then the term Snitch has referred to someone poking their nose in where it is resented as in the example I gave before.
I hope this clarifies things and puts an end to any if not all animosity between us.
_______
Do as you would be done by, or be done by as you did.

Last edited by Margarita Ma; 23-03-2017 at 17:32. Reason: punctuation
23-03-2017, 18:53   #45
mafya

Total Posts: 7,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita Ma View Post
My bold=
I have a chapatti on my shoulder and not a chip thank you.[COLOR="Silver"]

I think we have a cross cultural language problem here. so at the risk of seeming paternalistic,
The term quoted above has nothing to do with fast food it originates in a trade, Joinery and cabinet making where shaping would first be done by "chipping out" with rough tools before using finer tools and then sanding to a smooth finish and finally polishing.

www.dictionary.com/browse/snitch
Word Origin and History for snitch Expand. n. "informer," 1785, probably from underworld slang meaning "the nose" (1700), which apparently developed from an earlier meaning "fillip on the nose" (1670s).

During these turbulent times in English History informing on someones political or religious affiliations and activities could earn handsome rewards or perhaps save a person own head from the noose and Other more dreadful ends. Since then the term Snitch has referred to someone poking their nose in where it is resented as in the example I gave before.
I hope this clarifies things and puts an end to any if not all animosity between us.

I didn't mean it in a perjorative way as I explained to cyclone earlier.
I do know what chip on my shoulder means that is why I made a jokey reply of I have a chapatti on my shoulder and not a chip.
I am not as dumb as you may think I am.......
Reply To Topic