No planning permission - consequences?

Snitch is an insult to someone who blows the whistle on another person or group that they believe is doing something wrong. Generally something that can be or is harmful to themselves or others.

More than you has used the word. You need to work on smoothing that chip off your shoulder.

Poppet2. Without doubt if I believed the work is affecting my property I would get on to planning and building regs. He may not have needed planning permission as there was no extension involved but Building regs. should have been involved to make sure the work was carried out to acceptable specs and to make sure The sort of problem you are experiencing did not happen. For instance the inspector may have ensured a tray was inserted at an appropriate place in the damp proofing course.

Something going wrong here I came back to the thread to edit my post to include Poppet 2 in the second para and saw that there was supposedly an edit on my post by nikki red Ehhhh. What's going on?

Something going wrong here I came back to the thread to edit my post to include Poppet 2 in the second para and saw that there was supposedly an edit on my post by nikki red Ehhhh. What's going on?

Your quote tags were broken so the quote didn't actually appear as a proper quote. We routinely fix the tags so that it displays properly if we see it because if your post is then quoted then that screws it up still further and creates further moderating headaches.

EDIT- if you look, Nikki edited mafya's post further up as well, which is what had the tags broken in the first place, meaning that when you quoted it, characters were missing. Fixing it down the page makes it all look nice and not screw up again when quoted.

Edited by medusa

The way it's phrased (even now) is that if her property isn't damaged then she's being a bad person by reporting it.

But on the contrary, we have planning laws for good reason and they are only enforceable if the council are made aware of breaches of them.

I didn't say she was a bad person so don't know how you come to that conclusion.

---------- Post added 23-03-2017 at 00:21 ----------

Snitch is an insult to someone who blows the whistle on another person or group that they believe is doing something wrong. Generally something that can be or is harmful to themselves or others.

More than you has used the word. You need to work on smoothing that chip off your shoulder.

Without doubt if I believed the work is affecting my property I would get on to planning and building regs. He may not have needed planning permission as there was no extension involved but Building regs. should have been involved to make sure the work was carried out to acceptable specs and to make sure The sort of problem you are experiencing did not happen. For instance the inspector may have ensured a tray was inserted at an appropriate place in the damp proofing course.

My bold=

I have a chapatti on my shoulder and not a chip thank you.

---------- Post added 23-03-2017 at 00:29 ----------

A build up of damp has now occurred on the party wall.

Mafya, what would you do in my situation?

There is a lot of retrospective planning that people seem to rely on these days, but is that a guarantee people will get it? It seems an easy way out.

The reason I asked you if the work was affecting your property was then I would be able to give you an appropriate answer but the word police have got on my case in regards to using the phrase "snitch".

I didn't intend the word in a perjorative or insulting way it is just how I speak.

In your situation I would get the building regs and council involved without hesitation as it is affecting your property and I would also do the same if it was my property.

If the work wasn't affecting your property and wasn't likely to in any way then I would have said that I personally would leave it and let the owner find out himself when he/she comes to sell the place and it gets brought up in the survey.

Edited by mafya

You're phrasing it in such a way that it implies it. You also previously used the word snitch which as I said is pejorative.

Perhaps you don't intend it to come across this way, but you seem to be passively aggressively saying that people should only report things if they are directly harmed.

You're phrasing it in such a way that it implies it. You also previously used the word snitch which as I said is pejorative.

Perhaps you don't intend it to come across this way, but you seem to be passively aggressively saying that people should only report things if they are directly harmed.

In this scenario if someone is doing something and it effects the neighbours property then yes they should be reported to the relevant people.

If the work does not affect the neighbours then I personally would not report them as it is their property.

Committing a crime is a different matter and should be reported every time regardless if anyone is hurt.

That's up to you, but I wouldn't criticise someone or call them a snitch for reporting work done without PP or building regs.

My bold=

I think we have a cross cultural language problem here. so at the risk of seeming paternalistic,

The term quoted above has nothing to do with fast food it originates in a trade, Joinery and cabinet making where shaping would first be done by "chipping out" with rough tools before using finer tools and then sanding to a smooth finish and finally polishing.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/snitch

Word Origin and History for snitch Expand. n. "informer," 1785, probably from underworld slang meaning "the nose" (1700), which apparently developed from an earlier meaning "fillip on the nose" (1670s).

During these turbulent times in English History informing on someones political or religious affiliations and activities could earn handsome rewards or perhaps save a person own head from the noose and Other more dreadful ends. Since then the term Snitch has referred to someone poking their nose in where it is resented as in the example I gave before.

I hope this clarifies things and puts an end to any if not all animosity between us.

Edited by Margarita Ma
punctuation

My bold=

I think we have a cross cultural language problem here. so at the risk of seeming paternalistic,

The term quoted above has nothing to do with fast food it originates in a trade, Joinery and cabinet making where shaping would first be done by "chipping out" with rough tools before using finer tools and then sanding to a smooth finish and finally polishing.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/snitch

Word Origin and History for snitch Expand. n. "informer," 1785, probably from underworld slang meaning "the nose" (1700), which apparently developed from an earlier meaning "fillip on the nose" (1670s).

During these turbulent times in English History informing on someones political or religious affiliations and activities could earn handsome rewards or perhaps save a person own head from the noose and Other more dreadful ends. Since then the term Snitch has referred to someone poking their nose in where it is resented as in the example I gave before.

I hope this clarifies things and puts an end to any if not all animosity between us.

I didn't mean it in a perjorative way as I explained to cyclone earlier.

I do know what chip on my shoulder means that is why I made a jokey reply of I have a chapatti on my shoulder and not a chip.

I am not as dumb as you may think I am.......