Help needed to remember greaves st

anyone remember GREAVES STREET around 1945 to 1965 off langsett rd

and went to walkley school

yes i lived on hattersley street and went to walkley scool

I started at the infant school about 1949 my grandmother had a shop on greaves street near the bottom the pub at the bottom was hampton view

My wife's Aunt and Uncle lived on Greaves St. they were the Towns family, there children were Tony and Ann, Tony got married and he and his wife were £10 poms and emigrated to Australia where they still are, Ann still lives in Sheffield.

This scan from the 1942 Kelly's Directory might include some names familiar to you Greaves Street old-timers!.;).Hi Sharrovian - the 1968 directory shows John. A. Towns at No 29, and a little research suggests that John and Clara Towns had children Anthony and Ann, born in 1940 and 1942.

The whole of Greaves Street (apart from the Infants' school) was demolished in c. 1969-70.

my grandmother was sarah ann sharpe she lived at the grocers shop number 50 greaves st

This scan from the 1942 Kelly's Directory might include some names familiar to you Greaves Street old-timers!.;).Hi Sharrovian - the 1968 directory shows John. A. Towns at No 29, and a little research suggests that John and Clara Towns had children Anthony and Ann, born in 1940 and 1942.

The whole of Greaves Street (apart from the Infants' school) was demolished in c. 1969-70.

can you find hattersley street of gramer st on kellys i dont know how to find it about 1968 thanks rob

Hi robertathome - very few Kelly's directories are available on the Internet, but I happen to have some of the books. I looked in the 1942 and 1968 directories, but no occupants of Hattersley Street are shown. However, looking in the directories, and also at old maps, it is clear that Hattersley Street was a short street leading off from the west (i.e. Walkley) side of Grammar Street, with Poplar Street and Gould Street leading off from Hattersley Street. I can only guess that these three streets consisted of back-to-back or "court" houses. For some strange reason, the occupants of these properties were not listed by Kelly's. Sorry!.:(

where can i get a copy of kellys directory do they have them online

where can i get a copy of kellys directory do they have them online
Generally no, but some old directories (including the 1901 White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham) can be consulted on this site, and a CD with the 1925 Kelly's Directory of Sheffield and Rotherham can be purchased here.

On the odd occasions when the actual books are offered for sale they are usually expensive - I purchased the 1942 Sheffield & Rotherham directory for £100 (from Scarthin Books of Cromford) and the 1968 directory for £75 (eBay). I was outbid on eBay for the 1957 Sheffield & Rotherham directory which made £83.

But you can look at a wide range of local directories for free at the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street)!.:)

Edited by hillsbro

my gtreat aunt used to live on greaves street. her maiden name was gregory