Info on Christine Spurr 1940's and 1950's

Hi

I am researching my mother early life... Christine Spurr, daughter of George F Spurr and Madge Middleton. Her grandparents were George and Elizabeth Middleton.. and they lived in Regent Court, Hillsborough area in 1950's..

George was a bookmaker so people may remember him..

just looking to see if anyone has memories of my mum during this period.. I know she went to the Convent High School in Burngreave.. and as a teen was a v keen dancer.. I think she attended the contance grant dance centre but if anyone remembers or can verify this that would be much appreciated x

regards

Yeah, all the information on your post is correct. I think she was married in the early 60's but it ended in divorce after a short while. I knew her from going to the City Hall dances in the 50's. It's over fifty years ago now and everything is a bit foggy but I know she could tap dance and all the rest of it. I remember her as a nice girl because I took her to the pictures a couple of times. Somehow I seem to remember after her divorce she went to live down south.

Thanks, yes she moved to London in 1966 or 67... Do you recollect anything about her grandad george middleton?? I have rough information he was a bookie but also used to run a fish and chip shop.. No info on that at all...

I'm sorry I can't help you with your query on Christine's grandfather George, but I remember something about him being a bookmaker. He used to go in the 'Blue Ball', was it, near Regent Court? You've got me trying to remember the last time I saw Christine and I think it was at a party in the late 50's, she was reading people's fortunes with a pack of cards. I remember it was just before I left Sheffield. She was also a good singer, not a powerful voice you understand, but she had a very good ear for music. I hope all this has been some help.

Thanks, the story about the cards is amusing and typical of her! She samg quite a bit in london in the mid sixties at the jazz clubs including ronnie scotts xx