Woodhouse Village 1940's thru to the 60's/70's - don't let the history die

Looking at the old postings nothiong been added for some time, moved to Woodhouse at the age of 2 in 1949. What a lovely childhood it was, old shops like Miss Knight's, Mrs Callaby's, Mirfins, the cobblers in the yard behind the old Post office on the end of Stradbroke Road/Tannery Street. The old cinema with Saturday matinees, playing down in the woods for all the 6 weeks holidays, Woodhouse West or Woodhpouse East schools and all the church youth clubs + the one on Balmoral Road. What memories, what a childhood - brill. Don't let it die.

errrrrrrrrrrm

i only remember woodhouse west school lol

im more early - mid 80s tho

Looking at the old postings nothiong been added for some time, moved to Woodhouse at the age of 2 in 1949. What a lovely childhood it was, old shops like Miss Knight's, Mrs Callaby's, Mirfins, the cobblers in the yard behind the old Post office on the end of Stradbroke Road/Tannery Street. The old cinema with Saturday matinees, playing down in the woods for all the 6 weeks holidays, Woodhouse West or Woodhpouse East schools and all the church youth clubs + the one on Balmoral Road. What memories, what a childhood - brill. Don't let it die.

I couldn't agree more it was a lovely village to grow up in. As kids everything you needed was there. Barnards toy shop, Curr's bike shop, sweet shop in front of the picture house. Loads of spare land to play on and as you say Shirtcliffe Wood down Vicar Lane, Sally Clarks at the other side of the village.Youth Club, went to the one at the Weslyan Chapel run by Dereck Walton, dancing if you fancied it, rock and roll was frowned on at first but when Dave Grundy turned up(later Dave Berry) dancing with his girl friend it kind of took off. Then Saturday night dance at the Endowed School Room that used to be packed full. do you remember the snack bar on Cross Street with the juke box in there, the place was only tiny but there must have been a couple of dozen of us packed in there at times. happy days.

I know its an old thread but couldn't resist adding the little wooden hut near Keetons the butcher, got my first 45 records from there and the Wizard , its when it truly was a village, and old Mrs Callaby used to sell us a Park Drive and two matches for tuppence. I was born on the Mauncer Cres in 1945, Happy days

Mrs Knight and her sons Albert, Mick and Alan.

These Knights had a shop in Normanton Springs I knew Mick well went to same school, same age as me give or take

These Knights had a shop in Normanton Springs I knew Mick well went to same school, same age as me give or take

Mick died a tragically a while ago.

was born opposite west end school in1944.know all the people and places mentioned.village not the same now.live in the springs now.

was born opposite west end school in1944.know all the people and places mentioned.village not the same now.live in the springs now.

I lived on Hessey Street in the springs when I was a young un.

Did you know Skinner Peter Stenton he is related to me?

yes i knew all the stentons they lived on southsea.saw winnie a few weeks ago with her husband billy fidler in the angel

I also knew "Skinner" Pete Stenton,also on there were the Lax family wasn't Trev Eastham related to the Stentons

Edited by topten

Mick died a tragically a while ago.

How sad nice lad was Mick