Clarence Street/Springfield Road Junior School

No, I've never set foot in Sheffield.

oh when you said you lived on Clarence st I presumed you meant Sheffield???

No, it was my grand dad that had lived on Clarence Street after he was born, top half of that post had been quoted from someone else's post.

I didn't go to Springfield but lived on Ecclesall road and remember two large families on William st. they were the Williams and Godbeheres I wonder if you are one of these?

hiya, I went to springfield school I sent a post on here asking about the godbeheres and got no answer as I thought wrongly that they lived somewhere up broomspring lane, anyway the one who was in my class was Robert, he had a brother called john, I also knew a family called Keys there was jean, pam, another sister norma, and a brother trevor.

there was an older sibling as well I think.

hiya, I went to springfield school I sent a post on here asking about the godbeheres and got no answer as I thought wrongly that they lived somewhere up broomspring lane, anyway the one who was in my class was Robert, he had a brother called john, I also knew a family called Keys there was jean, pam, another sister norma, and a brother trevor.

there was an older sibling as well I think.

the names I remember from the Godbehere family are Joan, Fred, Bert and Maggie there are more but these are the only names I can recall, Bert still lives in the flats on William Street

Sorry Willybite I think your memory is playing tricks. there was a barbers called Percy's just round the corner of the bottom of Aberdeen St on BroomHall St, I know because my dad took me there when I was about 5 years old.

I am not certain but I think Springfield School is now a protected building, what I do know is two or three years ago I wrote to see if I could have look round, explaining my connection, and my wife and I spent a wonderful morning with one of the teachers as our guide looking round the school which has changed very little over the years and our guide was delighted to hear my memories, and showed me records of myself and sister Joy, a lovely experience .

Joy is a widow now and was 80 years old last September, and gave up being Akela at St Silas cubs when she was married.

Mention of Scouting and the Reverend Haythornewaite is worth mentioning he was very enthusiastic about scouting and the church always had a very active Cub and Scout Group, and I along with my best pal in those days, the late Kenneth(Curly) Wild were cubs, then Scouts together, and of course the Group had a band, and Ken wanted to play the bugle, and nearly busted a gut learning to play, and he did, taking his place in the band.

I remember Dr Ainscow well and his predecessor was a Dr Bradbury, who was well known for his care and attention, and probably saved my life. I developed a very sore throat and Dr Badbury lived on the premises on Clark St, still there, and my dad took me to see him, knocking on his door on a Bank Holiday morning, yes that happened in those days, and I was diagnosed with Diphtheria, a killer in those days, and whipped into Lodge Moor smartish, and my parents were told the Dr's prompt action probably prevented the disease from getting very serious and probably saved my life.

Reading of all those names and places brought back many happy happy memories, anyone remember Pinders the Bakers just above St Silas church hall? Albert Pinder was a Master Baker and people came from all over the district for his bread, cakes. and pastries.

I am now searching my memory and will probably come back with more.

hiya, this about percy the barber could we all be at cross purposes can you tell me what years you remember percy being round the bottom of Aberdeen street, now the percy I am on about was next to a cobbler named percy also this was in the 40s/50s. my percy was called Percy Roper he had a badly deformed foot and would have to walk on his heel, one thing I remember was in his shop on the back wall he had a photograph of a springfield football team two that were on it were ernest walker and brian harrison, I vaguely remember the barber the one near Aberdeen st also having a similar foot problem, I left the area in 1961. I still remember the time I went on my own about 1946/47. there were a new barber in the one near Aberdeen st and after I got home my mother said who the hxxls cut your hair herman the german don't go there again.

Edited by willybite

I'm afraid that I can't recall anyone with foot problems. I used the barber on Broomhall St, just around the corner from Aberdeen Street at various times from the early fifties when I used to sit on the board across the chair arms until we were "cleared" shortly after 1961.

My dad occasionaly took me to Tom's in town and later to Johnny Fanthams.

I'm afraid that I can't recall anyone with foot problems. I used the barber on Broomhall St, just around the corner from Aberdeen Street at various times from the early fifties when I used to sit on the board across the chair arms until we were "cleared" shortly after 1961.

hiya just been looking at some photos of some groups of pupils at springfield school I wonder if any of you remember them, a soccer team, barry piercy, mick farmer, terry Siddons, dougie ridge,and some others,

then one taken in lower girls playground, david Baldwin, derek walker,tony ball, and others.

hiya just been looking at some photos of some groups of pupils at springfield school I wonder if any of you remember them, a soccer team, barry piercy, mick farmer, terry Siddons, dougie ridge,and some others,

then one taken in lower girls playground, david Baldwin, derek walker,tony ball, and others.

I think I'm a bit too young for those folks, although I was at school with Neil Siddons, who I assume is Terry's brother.

I think I'm a bit too young for those folks, although I was at school with Neil Siddons, who I assume is Terry's brother.

hiya, i don't think so as terry had an older brother, terry lived on bath street next door to the deardons at one side and old mr hancock who was a rabbit breeder of note at the time at the other, dougie ridge lived a few doors away at the top of thomas lane, barry piercy lived on headford st, mike farmer lived in thomas st, tony ball lived on egerton st round the bottom of dean lane, derek walker lived down clarence st, and david baldwin lived on broomhall st just a spit away from our school.

while at school did any of you after 1950 ish ever see the coal fossils ,there were leaves and such imprinted in small pieces of coal the story was that when he was 16

Arnold(Arnie)Highfield found them at the mine he had started work at. and took them to the school for the pupils to see.

Edited by willybite

Hi Lynda M here are a few names, see if they ring any bells, Geoff Seedhouse,Steve Lees

John van Boolen, Russel Ouwtram,Ronnie Hague,Ray Waymouth,Pete Dillon,and me

Derrick Greenfield(Charlotte road) I have very fond memories of you.

Hi Lynda M here are a few names, see if they ring any bells, Geoff Seedhouse,Steve Lees

John van Boolen, Russel Ouwtram,Ronnie Hague,Ray Waymouth,Pete Dillon,and me

Derrick Greenfield(Charlotte road) I have very fond memories of you.

hiya these names were different christian names e.g. seedhouse ernest, hague brian kenny , both lived on bath street, waymouth brian i think,lived around top of broomspring lane.

---------- Post added 26-12-2014 at 17:31 ----------

hiya. when i talked about j fantham he was playing for wednesday.a while before he had a barber shop down the arcade by the sides of suggs and barney goodman, come to think now the last time i had an haircut at percy roper's was 1961 and he had a bad foot then he had to walk with his toe pointing up and had to walk on his heel.in any case it is obviouse to me we were a generation apart

Edited by willybite

Hi, I just picked up this thread. I went to Springfield school in the 50's and 60's moving to Tapton in 1964. I lived in Milton Street, in the same yard as my cousins the Holmes family, someone mentioned Bob and Dave. I was also in the cubs and scouts at St Silas. I was christened at the church by the Rev Haythornthwaite.

Friends around the area were Graham Leary who went later to Greystones school, and Paul Slingsby who went on to Waltheof. Where are they now I wonder?

Amazing place to grow up, happy days. If anyone remembers me, Paul Dale, love to hear.