Any one go to Owler Lane Intermediate school

Thanks for that, couldn't bring the name to mind even though we used to play darts in there at times. As for the Oates guy I'm going with Anthony, don't know why , just sounds right.Not very good with names but which three are they. Your right it was Dennis (not Derek ) Damms, I always imagined him to be a bit of a mad cap scientist if it was possible,he made his own explosives or so he said, and blew up his dads roses.

I've been out here since '81(a little late) and have been settled right from the start , no regrets on my life in England but none here either. Good to have contact with you, best wishes.

Hi beezerboy,

Yeah you are correct, it is Anthony Oates, the other two I can't put a name to are 2nd and 5th from right, back row. I've never been to your neck of the woods in Canada, in fact I've only ever been to Vancouver on a few occasions. Love the place, great food, great people and a beautiful city to boot.

We are opening a new office and distribution hub in Calgary next year so I'll get to visit Canada more often, but that's still a long way from where you are. I'm guessing four hours flying time ? Just a bit too far to pop round for a pint. Catch you later. BL

Hi beezerboy,

Yeah you are correct, it is Anthony Oates, the other two I can't put a name to are 2nd and 5th from right, back row. I've never been to your neck of the woods in Canada, in fact I've only ever been to Vancouver on a few occasions. Love the place, great food, great people and a beautiful city to boot.

We are opening a new office and distribution hub in Calgary next year so I'll get to visit Canada more often, but that's still a long way from where you are. I'm guessing four hours flying time ? Just a bit too far to pop round for a pint. Catch you later. BL

Re:- no name guys:-no idea for 2nd from right but I think the 5th maybe Frank Gregory. Does that sound right ?

Curious to know what you are involved in that would tempt you to open up in Calgary . Is it connected with the oil industry?

Hi beezerboy, Spot on buddy, it is Frank Gregory. How could I not remember big Frank? A nice kid. You are also very astute with your oil industry question, and although I got out of the oil game over 30 years ago, it is the reason why I find myself where I am today and why we are heading for Calgary next year. I'll send you a PM later to fill in the blanks. BL

---------- Post added 30-09-2014 at 01:00 ----------

Apologies beezerboy if my PM got repeated. I didn't realise I had to check the 'save' box each time I send, so I thought the message hadn't gone.

I really am off to bed now ;o)

Just received this Pic of class 1959-60 ,I know the following guys on here.

Dave Wiseman, Roger Sullivan, Dave Reed, John Gilbert, Dave Sowter, Anthony Oates, Dave Cone, Ken Taylor. By the way I'm top left. I think Stuart Mellor is also here, I later worked with him at Flathers, last time I heard he was in Wickersley, would love to know where he is.

I know Dave Reed is still alive and kicking , but how many of the rest are still with us. Please put names to the faces if you can, time is running out.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/beezerboy/ef62990a-ab46-4fc2-9af6-c5cea9880c45.jpg

Edited by beezerboy
bad info

Dave Wiseman, Roger Sullivan, Dave Reed, John Gilbert, Dave Sowter, Anthony Oates, Dave Cone, Ken Taylor. By the way I'm top left. I think Stewart Mellor is also here, I later worked with him at Flathers, last time I heard he was in Wickersley, would love to know where he is.

I know Dave Reed is still alive and kicking , but how many of the rest are still with us. please put names to the faces if you can, time is running out.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/beezerboy/420b466a-e620-4ccb-ac3b-a398389b9bef.jpg

Edited by beezerboy

I registered to use this site last week so this is my first effort.I went to Owler lane Intermediate West from 1951 to 1956 & recognize many of the names of teachers & pupils on earlier threads. I have spent a period of time not living in Sheffield although a job brought me back to Sheffield where I have lived for the last 30 plus years but during this time I do not remember meeting any school mates.

Dave Wiseman, Roger Sullivan, Dave Reed, John Gilbert, Dave Sowter, Anthony Oates, Dave Cone, Ken Taylor. By the way I'm top left.

I know Dave Reed is still alive and kicking , but how many of the rest are still with us. please put names to the faces if you can, time is running out.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/beezerboy/ef62990a-ab46-4fc2-9af6-c5cea9880c45.jpg

Edited by beezerboy
question answered

I passed my 11+ to go to Owler Lane Intermediate school back in 1960, and in 1963 we joined up with Hinde House Secondary school to make, I think, the first Comprehensive school in Sheffield. Does anyone on the forum remember going there at that time?

Does anyone remember my sister her name was Ann Whiteley I think she went there about that time.

My name is John Clark and was in the same class as contained in the picture with Ken Taylor, Dave Cone etc. I recognize a few of the people but cannot find myself.

Hello all. This is John Clark. Still alive and kicking and now in Wakefield.

I had a visit from Ken Taylor a few years agoand we reminisced about school and the Force. I used to see Brian Williamson occasionally as he was a cop as well. You may remember Trevor Howson, he left the force and went to Australia with his wife, Pauline Wake also from our class.

Someone was asking about George Firth, he died about 25 years ago of a heart attack. He was manager of a nightclub in Sheffield. I still see Alan Hodgkinson occasionally. I remember seeing Mick Pears some years ago, he married a Brasilia girl. As for Bill Asquith, I saw him on 10th January 2015 and he is looking very well. Anyone wanting to get in touch either pm me or my email is johnclark639@sky.com.

I'm just thinking that after nearly 50 years since leaving Owler Lane, it would be a small miracle if anyone in our class during the period 1951-56 would pick up on this message. Still, if I didn't bother nobody would know anyway...

---------- Post added 25-09-2014 at 21:56 ----------

That parsleydiva character is from my era...I remember Miss Unwin well...She had me caned by Joe Lupton for slamming a classroom door...We made up some years later when I met her in Rotherham (I worked with her husband...a bloke called McKenzie...nice chap)...

---------- Post added 27-09-2014 at 02:48 ----------

The bloke a year behind me at Owler Lane (1952) was James Marshall who followed me to Sheffield City Grammar and then we went together to Leeds University...After graduation we lost touch but he became a Labour MP and I read where he died of a heart attack when still in office...Any memories ?

Good morning Barry

I recently registered on this system & after seeing your name which I recognised felt I should reply as I believe we were at Owler Lane at the same time. The G in Ron G is for Gutteridge. Do you confirm we were classmates?

RonG

---------- Post added 31-01-2015 at 17:15 ----------

Sorry, I do not recognise any of the names you mentioned. What years were you at Owler Lane?

My name is John Clark and was in the same class as contained in the picture with Ken Taylor, Dave Cone etc. I recognize a few of the people but cannot find myself.

If I remember right,didn't we have two different types of classes,one for engineering etc, and one for commercial.Maybe that could be the reason.