Any one go to Owler Lane Intermediate school

My first teacher was Mr Tring, who subsequently became a dentist in Sheffield...he used a retort stand stick to cane us...the class was 1B (Boys) and was in the prefabs alongside IM (Mixed) and 1G (Girls)...

Hi Ken, Dave Reed here, not sure if you will remember me but I do remember you. I always thought you would make pro football, certainly not a cop in a million years. I hit the big 70 in a couple of months and was wondering who else had made it, hence me stumbling across this site. I'm still working full time and loving life. I remember all the names on here and many more if I just put my mind to it. Pete Needham, Dave Higginbottom, Roger Sullivan, John Clarke, Dave Cone, Dave Bacon, Dave Williamson, Bill Carr, Alan Merry, Bob Jennings, Pete Bulloss, Peter Clayton, Peter Swann. There were 7 Dave's so including Dave Parnham and me there's still one missing. I can see his face but not the surname.(was it Bloomfield?). Remember the teachers too, particularly Joe Lupton. He gave me four almost every Monday morning so he’s etched on my brain. And what was the name of that maniac who used a rubber hose as his weapon of choice. I heard he’d gone on to work at Guantanamo Bay. By the way, if Bill Asquith is reading this, you owe me one and sixpence plus interest from 1959 :o)

All of these names are well known to me as I was in the same class at times with them (55-60).There was a David Bloomfield (very tall) from Abbeyfield Rd I think,also a David Wiseman, John Gilbert and Stewart Mellors.By the way I,m another Dave (Sowter) ---bottom row,4th from left

Clark was the guy with the gas pipe.

Who was the one with a twin brother at Redcaps, top left I think.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb411/beezerboy/P6.jpg

Edited by beezerboy
Afterthought

I'm just thinking that after nearly 50 years since leaving Owler Lane, it would be a small miracle if anyone in our class during the period 1951-56 would pick up on this message. Still, if I didn't bother nobody would know anyway...

---------- Post added 25-09-2014 at 21:56 ----------

That parsleydiva character is from my era...I remember Miss Unwin well...She had me caned by Joe Lupton for slamming a classroom door...We made up some years later when I met her in Rotherham (I worked with her husband...a bloke called McKenzie...nice chap)...

---------- Post added 27-09-2014 at 02:48 ----------

The bloke a year behind me at Owler Lane (1952) was James Marshall who followed me to Sheffield City Grammar and then we went together to Leeds University...After graduation we lost touch but he became a Labour MP and I read where he died of a heart attack when still in office...Any memories ?

Hi Beezerboy,

Sure I remember you Dave, You were a quiet one like me. Nice picture! I see you are sat between John Gilbert and the guy on your right who's name escapes me. Was it Oates? Roger Sullivan is next to John Gilbert, I know Roger joined the navy, and I think Pete Bullas is next to Roger. I'm third from the right, back row, next to Bob Jennings who left to move to Coventry when his dad got a job there. Digging into my memory banks the twins were Roger and Geoff Hulley I believe. I think ours was Roger, although you could never tell them apart. I once spent a full five minutes speaking to Geoff before I realised it was the wrong brother. You would have thought the red cap uniform would have given me a clue eh?

I hated the place and the luckiest day of my life was when Pop Gregory told me I should leave at 15. Never looked back since.

Born Lucky, that's nice to hear,me too, made it another day. I thought I was along way from home but evidently not so far as some. Roger Sullivan joined the merchant Navy, I believe he lived at the pub on Spital Hill when the shootings happened one Xmas. The name Oates seems right,not a clue of his first name. Best wishes, take care .

PS would love to know if anyone as contact with Stuart Mellors , I worked with him at Flathers in the early 70's, also is Dennis Damms on this photo??

Edited by beezerboy

Hi Beezerboy, Yep! Rogers dad's pub was called East House. I remember him telling me that these guys were stood around the piano singing Christmas Carols when this Arab guy walked in and opened fire. Nothing changes eh? I think he killed three and wounded two, one quite seriously. Someone told me that he would have shot another bloke but the gun didn't go off. Re Dennis Damms, I can name all the guys in the photo except for three, but I don't think any of those are Dennis. The Oates? guy, was it Graham? Talking about a long way from home, it amazes me that there are so many from that period who now live abroad. It seems an incredibly high percentage out of what was probably around 120 pupils.

Hi Beezerboy, Yep! Rogers dad's pub was called East House. I remember him telling me that these guys were stood around the piano singing Christmas Carols when this Arab guy walked in and opened fire. Nothing changes eh? I think he killed three and wounded two, one quite seriously. Someone told me that he would have shot another bloke but the gun didn't go off. Re Dennis Damms, I can name all the guys in the photo except for three, but I don't think any of those are Dennis. The Oates? guy, was it Graham? Talking about a long way from home, it amazes me that there are so many from that period who now live abroad. It seems an incredibly high percentage out of what was probably around 120 pupils.

Thanks for that, couldn't bring the name to mind even though we used to play darts in there at times. As for the Oates guy I'm going with Anthony, don't know why , just sounds right.Not very good with names but which three are they. Your right it was Dennis (not Derek ) Damms, I always imagined him to be a bit of a mad cap scientist if it was possible,he made his own explosives or so he said, and blew up his dads roses.

I've been out here since '81(a little late) and have been settled right from the start , no regrets on my life in England but none here either. Good to have contact with you, best wishes.

Thought you might like this----

THE DIFFERENCE IF YOU MARRY A YORKSHIRE GIRL......

Three friends married women from different parts of the world.

The first man married a Greek girl. He told her that she was to do the dishes and house cleaning.

It took a couple of days, but on the third day he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put away.

The second man married a Thai girl. He gave his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking.

The first day he didn't see any results but the next day he saw it was better.

By the third day he saw his house was clean, the dishes were done, and there was a huge dinner on the table.

The third man married a girl from Yorkshire. He ordered her to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed and hot meals on the table every day.

The first day he didn't see anything, the second day he didn't see anything either............................................... but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down, he could see a little out of his left eye and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and load the dishwasher.

He still has some difficulty when he urinates.

Edited by beezerboy

beezerboy.

Brilliant! gave me a good laugh on a sunday morning.

Only the yorkies have this humour, or so it seems.

I`ts good to be a yorkshire man.

All the best

Southfork.

---------- Post added 28-09-2014 at 11:52 ----------

Barry Butler.

Happy birthday mate, i remember you and others playing football in the top yard, you and Abott are the only ones i remember.

My mate trevor Beard always tried to join in but was`nt allowed cos he was only a fag and so we were relegated to the bottom yard where the bikes were kept, and that tennis ball didn`t half sting if you were caught by it.Nice to know you`re alive and kicking,it`s brought memories flooding back.

Southfork.

Barry Butler.

I`ve posted on the wrong one, have a look on the post by Tara Misu.

Southfork.

Haha! Nice one beezerboy, so true too. It's like they say, you can take the girl out of Yorkshire but you can't take Yorkshire out of the girl.

Thank god I say, real women can't be beaten.

Been away for the weekend so it's late for me now. I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Southfork/Tara Misu...At last I've found somebody alive who I remember...Keith Atkins who was in the same year as James Marshall and he also came along to City Grammar to do A levels...Now then Tara Misu; why all the secrecy regarding identity?...It would appear that you were in the year below me...

Southfork...I recall Abbott and definitely the name Trevor Beard (Can't put a face to it yet)...Do you remember names like Alan Cox (unfortunately he died in 1970),Keith Carder, Ray Meek, School Captain Allan Vollum, a little bloke called Osborne...I remember all the teachers and much more which I can put down...