Sheffield Forum

Reliable HDDs these days?

Home > General > Computer & Tech Chat

Reply To Topic

11-01-2017, 07:42   #1
Skink

Total Posts: 859
having had another hard disk die recently (my Buffalo Ministation) I am "in the market" - but unsure what stuff is good these days, reading online reviews would seem to suggest all the brands are hopeless and Hitachi seem to have sold out

probably looking for a basic 3.5" 7200rpm 1/2TB to put in my desktop (mostly got WD Black in my current laptops) - I know we have quite a few tech professionals here so good to hear opinions
_______
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
11-01-2017, 08:16   #2
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 14,084
Send a message via ICQ to Ghozer Send a message via AIM to Ghozer Send a message via MSN to Ghozer Send a message via Yahoo to Ghozer Send a message via Skype™ to Ghozer
I highly recommend the SSHD Hybrid drives.... Currently got a Seagate 2TB SSHD, and my is it quick.. not quite SSD speeds, but damn close (from power on to desktop (including typing my pin) in under 30 seconds....

Seagate seem to have fixed the issues that plagued the 1TB a few years back (I got hit with that - still buy Seagate, find them the most reliable over all I have ever had/used)

I personally don't like WD drives, they are always louder and seem clunkier to me... but I think it's personal preference...

Toshiba drives aren't too bad, Samsung are very quiet.... as for reliability of both, I have no idea, not heard much about them, maybe it's a good thing? - I don't know!
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

Fear, is not knowing. Terror, is finding out.
11-01-2017, 09:11   #3
Jerky

Total Posts: 323
Just go with sold state drive (ssd). No moving parts so alot less likely to break.
11-01-2017, 10:13   #4
eHallam

Total Posts: 156
Send a message via Skype™ to eHallam
Hello,

I agree with Ghozer. SSHD's are a lot faster than HDD's and are quite reliable. Although, SSD's are even better but it has different maintenance rules. Like, you should never ever defragment SSD. But yeah, SSD is something that does not have any moving parts, so it can withstand the falls and knocks (if it's in the laptop). SO it's more reliable if you use computer on the go most of times. The problem of SSD's - price and capacity. It dropped down quite a bit in last 5 years, but still, 512GB SSD costs around 160, which is the whole 100 more, compared to same capacity SSHD.
_______
eHallam Drone & Tech Repair Centre
Repair Drones | Tablets | Laptops | Phones | PCs etc - Walkley Sheffield
www.eHallam.com | info@ehallam.com | 0114 201 2012 | @ehallamweb | facebook.com/ehallamweb
11-01-2017, 14:57   #5
Skink

Total Posts: 859
thanks folks, this is intended as a cheap archive drive for photos and backups really, alas SSD isnt in budget - but a 1TB Hybrid for a few quid more than a 7200rpm equivalent seems a decent idea. In a year or two would look to get a 2drive NAS to put it in

The next question is who to buy it from, apart from not paying their taxes I really don't trust Amazon packaging for something like this and would rather buy local or from someone who packages up properly - suggestions?
_______
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups
11-01-2017, 15:55   #6
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Send a message via ICQ to Ghozer Send a message via AIM to Ghozer Send a message via MSN to Ghozer Send a message via Yahoo to Ghozer Send a message via Skype™ to Ghozer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skink View Post
thanks folks, this is intended as a cheap archive drive for photos and backups really, alas SSD isnt in budget - but a 1TB Hybrid for a few quid more than a 7200rpm equivalent seems a decent idea. In a year or two would look to get a 2drive NAS to put it in

The next question is who to buy it from, apart from not paying their taxes I really don't trust Amazon packaging for something like this and would rather buy local or from someone who packages up properly - suggestions?
The cheapest I found when I got my 2TB was ebuyer, but I think the current cheapest 1TB is box.co.uk

https://www.box.co.uk/Seagate_FireCu...I_1984764.html
_______
Life is a tool, use it wisely and properly. Don't break it, because you can't exchange it if you do.
Life is an instrument, it needs regular cleaning, maintenance and tuning to keep it at its best.

11-01-2017, 16:13   #7
Lastnet IT

Total Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skink View Post
thanks folks, this is intended as a cheap archive drive for photos and backups really
Have you considered OneDrive? It comes bundled with Office 365, and includes 1tb of online storage.

There are various situations where you might be able to get it free (i.e. if you have an edu or sch e-mail address). If not, you can often pick up a year's subscription (Personal Edition) for around 30.
11-01-2017, 16:47   #8
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastnet IT View Post
Have you considered OneDrive? It comes bundled with Office 365, and includes 1tb of online storage.

There are various situations where you might be able to get it free (i.e. if you have an edu or sch e-mail address). If not, you can often pick up a year's subscription (Personal Edition) for around 30.
A subscription based service, that totals a higher cost for less storage, and it's also MUCH slower depending on your internet connection..

I don't like the idea of backing up to 'the cloud',
A) it's expensive,
B) it uses lots of bandwidth
C) if you loose your internet connection, you loose access to the backup..
D) if the cloud host is hacked, your files are compromised
E) if the host dies for any reason, you loose access to your files..

Also, if an infected file gets uploaded by someone else, there is a risk of it spreading to your files... it's already happened with some ransomware and other things, so it's only a matter of time...
_______

12-01-2017, 12:02   #9
louca001

Total Posts: 177
I'd put my life on Western Digital Red drives. I've had 4 or them running in my server for the last 5 years
_______
Digital Champion for Age UK Sheffield
Over 50? Sign up to 'The Club' and get free IT lessons:
http://www.ageuk.org.uk/sheffield/
*any advice given / views expressed are solely my own.
12-01-2017, 12:34   #10
Lastnet IT

Total Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by louca001 View Post
I'd put my life on Western Digital Red drives. I've had 4 or them running in my server for the last 5 years
I go with WD too. Had some pretty grim experiences with Seagate/Maxtor (including them refusing to honour a warranty).
12-01-2017, 15:13   #11
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastnet IT View Post
I go with WD too. Had some pretty grim experiences with Seagate/Maxtor (including them refusing to honour a warranty).
Where as I have had several WD die, and imho they are very noisy..... really dont like WD personally
_______

12-01-2017, 19:45   #12
apelike

Total Posts: 3,075
I have to agree with Ghozer on that as I have had the same problems with WD drives and since then I have always gone for Segate.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon
BTW Lloyds of London have not left but will only be relocating some jobs to Brussels that all, otherwise it will have to be called Lloyds of Brussels.
12-01-2017, 22:58   #13
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 53,641
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
ive got a few quite large capacity externals, the newest are samsungs and seem great. also the older ones are seagate and WD, never had an issue with any of em tbh, even tho i download and seed off em quite a bit.
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
13-01-2017, 08:07   #14
tzijlstra

Total Posts: 12,024
Another vote for WD HDDs, Seagate are reasonable as well.

SSHDs are the way forward and in that domain it is also WD for me.
13-01-2017, 11:11   #15
IT-Smith

Total Posts: 126
I have a pile of hard drives, around 30 in total that have died for some reason.

All makes/speeds/sizes. Including SSD's and enterprise class drives.

Assume the drive will fail as some point, so make sure you backup.

I use Acronis Drive Monitor to keep an eye on drives, it can email reports then it detects a problem and has warned me about drives before they failed.

Here is Backblaze's Q3 report on drives. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q3-2016/
_______
IT-Smith Support Ltd
Home and small business IT support in the Sheffield area.
0114 4070132 or 07952 905473
http://www.it-smith.co.uk
13-01-2017, 12:58   #16
swarfendor43

Total Posts: 5,745
A debatable question indeed - a few years back I bought a mag with Hard Drive special supplement which states that HDD's are likely to have at least one fault when they leave the factory. My first large capacity drive was a 300 Gb Seagate - based on the fact that a lot of PVR machines had chosen Seagate for reliability - came with a 5 year warranty - didn't make it to 3 years and under warranty I would have expected a brand new one - no - you pay to return it to the Netherlands at your expense then they send one out at their expense that is a 'reconditioned' drive! My favourite HDD was Samsung but they were sold to .... Seagate! Currently deploying WD Black Drives and don't seem noisy at all - Ebuyer supplied. The other thing with Seagate is they didn't used to be GNU/Linux friendly. Sorry to hear of your Buffalo woes - I've had a Buffalo 2 TB (external) for 2-3 years now - was running out of space and got another one - this has USB 3 support - the software is naff though which I deleted on formatting!
13-01-2017, 19:53   #17
Ghozer
Are you a God!?

Forum Helper
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT-Smith View Post
I have a pile of hard drives, around 30 in total that have died for some reason.

All makes/speeds/sizes. Including SSD's and enterprise class drives.

Assume the drive will fail as some point, so make sure you backup.

I use Acronis Drive Monitor to keep an eye on drives, it can email reports then it detects a problem and has warned me about drives before they failed.

Here is Backblaze's Q3 report on drives. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rates-q3-2016/
WD having the higher percentage of failures doesn't surprise me...

and I have always liked Toshiba drives, they are quiet too.... (sometimes a little slower though, but reliable)
_______

04-02-2017, 23:34   #18
ShefStealth

Total Posts: 730
WD's you have to spend a little more in order to get a decent drive. Their Black drives for workstations or Red drives for NAS or servers. Their Blue drives are OK at 2.5inch for Laptops but not great in 3.5inch for desktops. That said, I upgraded a Sky+ box with a 2TB blue a few months ago (old drive died), and with the large cache it's generally improved my Sky box.

Whilst Samsung have been having issues in other areas (Batteries with Note 7, and washing machines... oh, and a corporate board that is having a few issues) their HDDs are still fairly quiet and reliable. Seagate are fairly decent still, but I personally don't trust Hitachi (Deathstars) or Toshiba anymore.
06-02-2017, 00:56   #19
swarfendor43

Total Posts: 5,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShefStealth View Post
WD's you have to spend a little more in order to get a decent drive. Their Black drives for workstations or Red drives for NAS or servers. Their Blue drives are OK at 2.5inch for Laptops but not great in 3.5inch for desktops. That said, I upgraded a Sky+ box with a 2TB blue a few months ago (old drive died), and with the large cache it's generally improved my Sky box.

Whilst Samsung have been having issues in other areas (Batteries with Note 7, and washing machines... oh, and a corporate board that is having a few issues) their HDDs are still fairly quiet and reliable. Seagate are fairly decent still, but I personally don't trust Hitachi (Deathstars) or Toshiba anymore.
I'd be surprised if you can get hold of Samsung drives as they are now owned by Seagrave. A former mod on Zorin forum pointed out that no issue with WD if they have good airflow which means where you fit it in tower. Toshiba must be good because they are what Mac Workbooks have in them. I know this because I had to attempt data recovery from one using live GNU/Linux disc but it needed another Mac in the end using Thunder re Overy tools. I don't believe the hard drive was actually failing on the Mac as I noticed that the FE establishment where it was being used had put a newer non-compatible version of Mac OS X on it! The last three HDDs I've bought are WD Black ones and certainly nowhere near as noisy as the Hitachi 'deathstar'!
06-02-2017, 11:45   #20
ShefStealth

Total Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43 View Post
I'd be surprised if you can get hold of Samsung drives as they are now owned by Seagrave.
There's still some floating around in the channels if you know where to look. Seperately, Seagate are still advertising certain drives under the Samsung branding - check out http://samsunghdd.seagate.com/gb/en/ - they still do internal drives too. Separtely, someone else quoted Maxtor earlier in the thread, but they got bought out years ago too - also by Seagate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfendor43 View Post
Toshiba must be good because they are what Mac Workbooks have in them.
Just because Apple decide to use certain hardware from certain manufacturers doesn't mean that that hardware is good/great. I'd actually argue that Apple being primarily a hardware company for their profits intentionally builds in obsolesce in order to drive upgrades. Their phones being a prime example, with no option for an average user to replace a battery. They also try and differentiate themselves on their customer service offering, which is why they then try and justify their 'premium pricing' structures. I personally have had higher failure rates with Toshiba products (not just HDDs, primarily laptop hinges/cases etc. some failing so badly that they then break other components such as the screen)

Toshiba as a company have been in trouble for a while, the news broke over the past 18 months of major accounting issues and problems in their nuclear power division. If they don't have good enough quality control procedures in nuclear power, it doesn't bode well for the rest of their product line.
Reply To Topic