P.D.S.A in trouble .

Problem with the PDSA is it's being abused it's full of council estate chavs with their staffy's

They don't work a day in their lives and then expect someone else to pay when their dog falls ill as well.

well that's very funny because when we had to go a few years back it was full of older people pulling up in £50 £60 grand cars dressed very well stinking of money i observed loads so contrary to your Demonizing beliefs actually go and have a look for your self s10 is full of parasites Do you think a post code makes you a better person you foolish Bigot :loopy:

Maybe it's bad experiences there that has stopped contributors. But not all council estate tenants are chance of own staffies, which are lovely dogs. You have to jump through hoops to get treatment there. I took my dog in an emergency many years ago when vets only opened at set times. They turned me away and I had to hammer on vets doors up the road for help. I didn't expect free treatment I had money to pay. As happened a vet let me in and treated my dog free. He had dislocated his shoulder. Not every one is a freeloader

I wouldn't support the PDSA as the one time I was out of work and my dog had a bad claw I phoned them for help and they refused to see her for over a week, I would have been willing to pay but wasn't sure I would have the amount my usual vet would charge. I ended up calling my usual vet who saw her straight away and told me that it could have been serious if I had waited the time the PDSA had asked me to. Luckily I had family and friends who could lend me some money.

I wouldn't support the PDSA as the one time I was out of work and my dog had a bad claw I phoned them for help and they refused to see her for over a week, I would have been willing to pay but wasn't sure I would have the amount my usual vet would charge. I ended up calling my usual vet who saw her straight away and told me that it could have been serious if I had waited the time the PDSA had asked me to. Luckily I had family and friends who could lend me some money.

Strange logic you have there, as the only reason you have to wait a week is they are understaffed and refusing to support them only makes it worse.

I do agree there is some abuse though, because their eligibility criteria makes no sense at all as its ONLY based on Housing Benefit.

So people in need are denied (if they are living in someone elses house but its NOT a household pet) whereas other people can take advantage, as long as they know someone on Housing Benefit.

There are people on housing benefit with a higher income than people who don't get it, because it depends on so many factors and you can generally claim even if the net result is 0 benefit - it still counts as being in receipt of it (although never checked with the PDSA how they would react to someone on £0 Housing Benefit).

Edited by AlexAtkin

Strange logic you have there, as the only reason you have to wait a week is they are understaffed and refusing to support them only makes it worse.

I do agree there is some abuse though, because their eligibility criteria makes no sense at all as its ONLY based on Housing Benefit.

So people in need are denied (if they are living in someone elses house but its NOT a household pet) whereas other people can take advantage, as long as they know someone on Housing Benefit.

There are people on housing benefit with a higher income than people who don't get it, because it depends on so many factors and you can generally claim even if the net result is 0 benefit - it still counts as being in receipt of it (although never checked with the PDSA how they would react to someone on £0 Housing Benefit).

My logic was based on how I was treated and spoken to. They originally refused to see me at all because I was not eligible for housing benefit due to having a mortgage. There are lots of vets out there that will help a dog in an emergency and worry about payment later - you would think that a charity would do the same but they don't.

My logic was based on how I was treated and spoken to. They originally refused to see me at all because I was not eligible for housing benefit due to having a mortgage. There are lots of vets out there that will help a dog in an emergency and worry about payment later - you would think that a charity would do the same but they don't.

They SHOULDN'T have seen you if you don't have housing benefit, period! Its a stupid criteria I agree, but its their rules and I have never known them make an exception.

Of course a private vet can make exceptions, they are a profitable business and it may encourage you to be their customer in the future. A charity however is not, they have no time or money to spare.

This same way the PDSA will not help you if you offer to PAY, because you would be taking an appointment from someone who has nowhere else to go.

They SHOULDN'T have seen you if you don't have housing benefit, period! Its a stupid criteria I agree, but its their rules and I have never known them make an exception.

Of course a private vet can make exceptions, they are a profitable business and it may encourage you to be their customer in the future. A charity however is not, they have no time or money to spare.

This same way the PDSA will not help you if you offer to PAY, because you would be taking an appointment from someone who has nowhere else to go.

There eligibility criteria includes council tax benefit as well and you can get reduced costs if on other benefits - took a while to find this though so I'm guessing they will get a lot of phone calls with people trying to find this information when they are not eligible.

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

I think the problem is people are just a little sick of being hassled for money. I work in the town centre, you can't go for 5 minutes without being hassled for a donation. Not to mention all the rubbish in the post. Don't get me started on the beggar's.....

There eligibility criteria includes council tax benefit as well and you can get reduced costs if on other benefits - took a while to find this though so I'm guessing they will get a lot of phone calls with people trying to find this information when they are not eligible.

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/vet-services/eligibility

There is no mention on that site of "reduced cost" treatment for other benefits either, in fact its explicitly points you to other charities and private vets. The point is, you are only eligible if you are the householder!

The PDSA have this strange idea that any pet in the household belongs TO the household. So if you aren't the householder and they aren't eligible, you're screwed.

Its absolutely illogical to assume just because you are living somewhere the person you are living with can and is willing to pay for YOUR pets treatment.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Maybe if they get receptionists who don't judge you more people would donate I would rarther use a proper vet and pay myself if you can't pay vet bills then don't have a pet