Franklin Street

Does any person have a photo of a back court e.g. 3 in court 1 Franklin Street, Sheffield ( Eccleshall Bierlow ), Thanks

There are photographs of Franklin Street, Sharrow, and, particularly the OLD cross-guns pub that stood there, on Picture Sheffield.

I don't know if thephotos themselves go back as far as 1901, but they are certainly photographs of buildings that were there from 1901 and before...?

Would that be any help?

PT

I've had many a pint in the Cross Guns on a sunday and a game of dominoes.

Iknow this is going away from the ? but would that have been the original one or the one they built after knocking down all the terraced houses down.Reason i ask is because i was born on washington road and well remember my dad and all his mates going in , and the away days on the {charabang}to cleethorpes great times.

Can you remember any of the regulars names that used to

drink in there?

Heras a few I remember, Ron Kelly. charlie bones, frank white, frank bramall, frank and idris marples, chris toomey,stan white,there was also a chap called bob cant recall his second name but was big mates with ron and charlie could often be seen all rolling home together

Can remember being in the boy scouts at Sharrow Lane church opposite the Franklin which was just up from the Cross Guns. They were about to close it down before knocking it down so I went in and bought a load of the old pint glasses for 3d each. Still got them 40 years or so later. They all are marked with GR on them. If I remember right the houses on the left as you went from Sharrow lane had front and back doors but the houses on the right were back to backs and therefore had courts behind them. Had some good friends who lived on Franklin Street. We all seemed to go our seperate ways when we took our eleven plus at Sharrow Lane School.

We lived on Priory Terrace,my younger brothers Len and Brian Kay,Brian Nicholson,Maurice Elliott and his wife Dolly. there son Pete,played the piano at various pubs in south Sheffield,Jack Glossop. Same lot used to go in the Washington owned by a cripple,name escapes me,that was our snooker pub.

All in the 40s and 50s.

I lived on Fentonville st late 1950's to early 60's . I think I had relations on franklin St.

I went to Sharrow Lane school , also the cubs .

I remember the Cross guns pub as a young lad. I used to go there on a Sunday dinner time with my friend who was going for a jug of mild for his Dad from the'Jug and bottle' section. The landlord had a grown up son who suffered from Parkinsons (did'nt know this at the time)and he liked to stand outside the pub and watch the world go by. He was well known to all the school kids going to Sharrow Lane school. This was in the 30's of course.

The 30's was before my time (being born 1947) but the structure was still the same.

Only just be coming a new member, I initially broused 152 pages of entries to see if anything caught my eye.

The majority had dates 4 or 5 years old, I was supprised at the responce that I received to my entries.

It's been a couple of decades since I lived in Sheffield and sometime since I lived in the U.K. But I'm still proud of have coming from Sheffield.

Ilived on club garden road just round corner

spent a lot of time exploring Franklin street when people moved out

every house seemed to have a piano we had a big bonfire that year then scrap man came and took all remains away

i also went to cubs at sharrow st johns

and sharrow lane school