Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

I was at Western Road school in the late 50' / early 60's.

The formidable Miss Green - at least she looked formidable to five- and six-year olds - was headmistress of the infants school and the less formidable Miss Ellis was headmistress of the juniors.

I was taught in the juniors by Miss Ambler and Mr Bellamy.

But I don't recall the names of any of the infant class teachers of the time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I advance you by about five years and two names of Miss Hudson and Miss Eyre ring a bell. There was also a school help call Mrs Seedhouse who used to apply iodine (ouch!) to knee's cut in the playground!

Some others from the Juniors: Mrs Scott, Mr. Mawson, Miss Exley, Miss Sygrove and Miss Bramhall circa '59. Mr.Gisborne was the school dentist.

I was a pupil at Crookes Endowed School until 1957 but our woodworking class was held at the Western Road School. I have the name of the woodwork teacher on the tip of my tongue but I just can't recall it. Can anyone else? This is where I built my first guitar and I credit this class for having helped me along in my music career which is still very much a thing of the present.

I can't help you with that one Sput, but I remember the dentist, he was like a union official, one out all out, come to think of it, could have been the metal work teacher in his spare time.

Didn't Miss Exley get called Miss exlax ( treatment for constipation)?

Mr Bellamy was very fond of useing the cane, which he carried up his jacket sleeve.

Can't help much with the teachers although I agree that Mr Bellamy was known to be forthright.

My abiding memory is the smell of the infants school. I have a feeling it was the polish that was applied to the floor in the hall where we all gathered for assembly with Miss Green conducting us through a series of hymns.

Can anyone confirm that awful toilet block in the infants school has been demolished? It was disgusting 50 years ago!

I don't remember this punishious Bellamy teacher but a chap with a similar bent was a Mr.Bowmer who if you literally stepped out of line would push you by the scruff of the neck saying:"Get into my room boy, you're wasting my time."

His room was the first on the right as you entered the Junior School on Mona Avenue. You then had the option of his two canes, licorice or ginger! Fortunately, I never had to choose but he was a fearsome man with glasses, a pencil 'tache and he used to grit his teeth. So, too, did the errant pupils!

Many thanks for re-kindling many memories.

I cannot recall any of the teachers mentioned by Chairboy except Mrs Scott. I left Western Road at the end of the second year of junior school. Mrs Scott would have been my teacher if I entered the third year.

I do remember Mrs Seedhouse and the iodine - which of us doesn't?

Amongst my collection I have a 1959 photo of class J1A - very similar to a number of class photos taken at the same time and posted on Friends Reunited. I have the names of all my classmates but cannot put the names to all the faces.

By the way, Mr Bellamy's class-room was the second on the right when entering from the boys' playground - in other words it overlooked the playground rather than Mona Avenue.

My grandmother who lived at the junction of Springvale and Brighton Terrace was for a time one of the dinner ladies in the senior school.

My cousins went to Western Road School, Peter & Ena Cowan, anyone know where they are today ? there was also a younger girl but I can't remember her name. [old age]

Can't help you Skippy but I remember Peter Cowan, he used to play in goal, very well, at school and he lived near the corner of Romsdal Road and School Road near the one-time chipshop of Horace! I think his mum used to attend Crookes Congs Church?

I remember Miss Lindley and Miss Middleton, Mrs Perry who taught singing and spent a lot of time teaching us to "Breathe".

I think the headmasters name was Burnett.

We used to walk up the road to the annexe for History lessons in a freezing cold church type building.

I think there was a Mr North and a Mrs Wilkinson also in the senior school.

Can still remember the smell of gas in the laboratory and all the bunsen burners lined up.

I was in Bronte house and there was Nightingale,Chantrey and was the fourth house called Frith or Firth? Just can't remember.

Miss Greene was unforgettable, eyes like steel.

Don't remember much about the Juniors except that the Dentist was down below at playground level.The tuck shop outside the gate, on the corner was Dales.

Does anyone remember walking past the potted meat factory on the way to play hockey on the Bolehills?

• Like 1

The potted 'dog' factory on Western Road is called Binghams and is part of the Northern Foods enterprise.

Dales, the tuck shop, from where I bought many football 'bubble-gum' cards was on the corner of Springvale Road and Mona Avenue. There was also a tuck shop on Leamington Street at the bottom of Warwick Street, very near to where the Chinese student was killed in a house fire last Autumn. Such corner shops have now been converted to flats.

I have a 1959 photo of Miss Exley's class taken in that bottom yard by the dental practice but I don't know how to move it from "My pictures" on to this site?