Italian POW Camp (WWII) in Lodge Moor

I have recently began to write my father's WWII story and have written to the Red Cross in Switzerland for his POW record. In their reply they noted that he spent some time in Camp 17 in Great Britain.

Further research tells me that Camp 17 was located in Lodge Moor, Redmires Road, Sheffield, which led me to this site.

My father was an Italian captured in North Africa, sent to South Africa, then to Sheffield, before being transferred to Camp 35 in Boughton Park, near Kettering.

I am slowly piecing together the years he spent in Great Britain.

Can anyone give me any information on this camp or direct me to any website that might be helpful. I would especially like to see pictures of the site, while it was a POW camp or as it looks today.

A heartfelt thank you to anyone who takes the time to help.

Mary

Ontario, Canada

Use the forum search function on the left of the page and enter "lodge moor". You will get lots of info in various threads.

The site was originally a Victorian racecourse, then an WW1 army training camp, then a POW camp, then it fell into disrepair and now is a plantation that I can see from my window right now.

It is right opposite the 3 Merry Lads pub and you can find an aerial photo here. The camp is the plantation to the south of the road. There are still the remains of the buildings and roads in the woods.

I've been in there with my kids (and a metal detector), and if you let your imagination run you can see how it might have been when occupied. There are enough building bases and toilet fittings left to show the layout.

If I ever get the chance to go up there again Mary, I'll get some photos and pass them to you.;)

Ah yes.. the other bit that you might not know is that bit of the moor is called that because there was a hunting lodge on it in days gone by where Mary Queen of Scots used to stay while out hunting in the early days of her 14 years of being a prisoner in Sheffield.

Tony

That's a spot on photo.

Can you walk round the plantation or is it fenced off or private property, and do the people in the gypsy/traveller camp bother if you start hunting around in their back yards ?

I don't think you will have any trouble. The gypsy camp has to be the poshest one ever, so that's no problem. :)

Mary

I live about a mile from the site and have looked in lots of local history books in the library but never seen any photo's of the POW site as it was. If I find any I'll let you know etc. Even searching on Google throws up very few links, as you've probably discovered.

Does any one fancy a walk round the place, maybe one evening or Sunday afternoon etc ?

Col

I take my dog around there at least twice a week. The only thing is parts of it are VERY overgrown and you end up scratched to bits. The only things left are concrete bunker bases and steps, and the old entrance roadway somewhere but I have not been able to find that for a while now. Its spooky after dark I tell you that much........

Originally posted by Tony

.... Mary Queen of Scots used to stay while out hunting in the early days of her 14 years of being a prisoner in Sheffield.

Interesting about the Hunting Lodge. On the 1850 OS map There is a 'Lodge Moor Hall' shown which would have been about where the junction of Blackbrook Ave and Blackbrook Road is now. Rivelin Lodge and Fulwood Hall are also shown on this map as well as many other houses still here in 2004.

Strange how road names have changed since those times....

Lodge Lane used to be Rivelin Mill Lane

Remires Road used to be Lodge Moor Road

Lodge Moor Road used to be Intake Lane

Blackbrook Road used to be Bole (or Bore) Hill Lane

....old maps are fascinating :)

There's a photo of 'Redmires Camp during WW1' in Peter Harvey's "Sheffield" ISBN 095054583X but it's probably not much of a guide to how the POW camp would have looked.

Just been up there for a walk with the dog. Bit soggy at the moment though (the campsite ANd the dog!) Great place to wander around, there is a network of footpaths, some of which are dead ends and some running around the perimeter, and right through the centre of the camp. A few years back I am sure I found a building still standing somwhere near the original entrance from Redmires Rd which is now bricked up. Cant find it now.....I need to spend a whole day there exploring again.

A metal detector is a must.....