Franklin Street

That should keep me busy for a while.

Thank you again Hillsboro

Hi sweetdexter - I also wondered about this, and I had a quick look at family records but there doesn't seem to be a connection. Redfern Froggatt's great-grandfather William Froggatt was an Owlerton baker, while George's ancestors seem to have been razor grinders living at Stannington. All the same there could be a distant family link.

There used to be a large family of Froggatts lived at Stannington. It appears to be a relatively common name in this area.

I am looking for an old colleague of mine Liz Froggatt. I know she was from STocksbridge/Oughtibridge area she was niece of Redfern Froggatt. Can anyone help find her for me please I have been looking for months and tried everything I know. She would be 56 now and born in 1960. Rumour had it she married someone from the RAF in the early 80's. Any help is great. Thanks

Hi all

just came across this site and this thread, I lived on Franklin St in the 50s & 60s at the bottom end near Horace the barber, I was born in 1948 so would have been going to Sharrow Lane juniors in the early 50s. I then went on to Newfield Secondary and it seems we all split up. When they demolished the street we went to live on the Norfolk Park flats. I remember most of the names that DEEDA mentioned in the above post. I remember all the good times I had growing up there, yeah, the cobbles and the melting tar, brilliant times. I still live near the area, I moved to the bottom end of Ecclesall Road, the Cemetery was just behind me, now I'm a little further up just above Banner Cross.

Hope we can get this thread going again guys..............:)

Hi all

just came across this site and this thread, I lived on Franklin St in the 50s & 60s at the bottom end near Horace the barber, I was born in 1948 so would have been going to Sharrow Lane juniors in the early 50s. I then went on to Newfield Secondary and it seems we all split up. When they demolished the street we went to live on the Norfolk Park flats. I remember most of the names that DEEDA mentioned in the above post. I remember all the good times I had growing up there, yeah, the cobbles and the melting tar, brilliant times. I still live near the area, I moved to the bottom end of Ecclesall Road, the Cemetery was just behind me, now I'm a little further up just above Banner Cross.

Hope we can get this thread going again guys..............:)

Howdy 13court2... have you seen the previous posts about the 'Sharrow lane school' re-union .. for the 10th. February ?... it's all on the forum.. I am D Johnson.. we had the corner shop on Franklin / Salmon street corner.

Howdy 13court2... have you seen the previous posts about the 'Sharrow lane school' re-union .. for the 10th. February ?... it's all on the forum.. I am D Johnson.. we had the corner shop on Franklin / Salmon street corner.

Hi oscar2157

thanks I' ll have a look

Can you remember any of the regulars names that used to

drink in there?

My Dad, Sam France, played the piano several times a week in the Cross Guns in the 50s and 60s. Across the road, in The Franklyn, the pianist was Mr Vernon, who also lived on Fentonville Street. Sadly I can't ask my dad for names .....he succumbed to the Woodbine disease in 1970.

This is my first post just found this site after trawling the internet I lived on Franklin Street from 1949untill leaving in 1962 and have many happy memories. We lived at no 9 opposite the back door of the Washington (I think ) pub. my Name is Mike Smith will be interested to see if I get any replies we now live in Australia but still keep in touch with Sheffield

2 hours ago, Michael Smith ( said:

This is my first post just found this site after trawling the internet I lived on Franklin Street from 1949untill leaving in 1962 and have many happy memories. We lived at no 9 opposite the back door of the Washington (I think ) pub. my Name is Mike Smith will be interested to see if I get any replies we now live in Australia but still keep in touch with Sheffield

do you remember the barbers just round the corner on lansdowne road,

Ted James paper shop on Washington road next door to post office

5 hours ago, MICK BADGER said:

do you remember the barbers just round the corner on lansdowne road,

Ted James paper shop on Washington road next door to post office

Is this the same Ted James who owned James Cycles on Bramhall Lane?   Its possibly being run by younger family members nowadays.