Edgar Allen One Of Sheffields Oldest Companies

Yes, cycling was one of the loves of his life. The other was his paintings of derbyshire. He died while cycling in Derbyshire so what a way to end a brilliant life

what a great cyclist and a great friend what age would he have been at the time of is death

Alwin was 61 - alas just b4 he was due to take early retirement! A lesson for us all--retire as soon as we can and enjoy;-)

My uncle worked there all his life/I think he was the works manager.His name was Bill Hammond.

Not long after the war the sent him and a few more on a fact finding mission to the deep south of America.

There was an article in the Mirror[?] where he said it made his heart bleed to see the working conditions for the ***** in the foundries over there.

I worked on the switch with jessie at e a steels on attercliffe rd around 74/76 really enjoyed working there

I was apprenticed at Edgar Allen Foundry from 1966 to 1973

I was a Fitter in the maintenance dept

I was set by Stan Fry in Personel and my Forman Colin Prentice

I did most of my training with Charlie, Edgar Hall, and in the Machine Shop with Ted Whiteway

The Chief engineer was Jerry Horsfall

Yes I agree with all it was a great place to work the best work days of my life

I actually cast the bell on the recommissioned ship ( first one being sunk in the Falklands ) HMS Sheffield at Edgar allens Melting shop

Hi. I worked on the furnace the day we made the replacement bells for HMS Sheffield. My brother John was in the lab and did all the metallurgy work on them!

Hi. I worked on the furnace the day we made the replacement bells for HMS Sheffield. My brother John was in the lab and did all the metallurgy work on them!

We still have one of the original Edgar Allen Poes :)

We still have one of the original Edgar Allen Poes :)

What do you call it, Jekyll or Hyde ?:D

I worked at EA for around 10 years before it closed. At the End I worked for Phil Lievesly in the Lad non destructive testing X-ray. With Lewis Wigley, Richard Nightingale very good friends withese guys also played football and cricket together, Graham Reeves Ray Shackleton, Jeff Swannock, Mike Westoby, a lad called Stephen (not me the other one) Charles Elliot was boss of the lab when I started in his big wood walked office. I remember John Redwood, Ray Wrigley (his son dying). I started as a labourer in the casting shop. Worked with the lad who was a bit slow Paul/Peter? Then with the the inspectors a lovely couple of old guys one a Scot (his wife was called Bobby) and the other had longish grey curly hair. I used play Sunday football with some brothers that worked there mostly maintenance shop and sadly can't remember their names from the Horshoe pub up near Concord Park.

I remember a few others mentioned in other pages on this forum. 

Occasionally went in melting shop, or had pint down or 2 in the old pubs once a melt was on.

Happy days. 

My ex worked there Anne Robinson not seen her in years 😐 

18 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

My ex worked there Anne Robinson not seen her in years 😐 

She used to present the "Weakest Link" television show up to 2012.

Not seen her since...

• Haha 1