Greystock Road/ Sutherland Street, Attercliffe.

I know Attercliffe a bit but these street names I can't place either they don't exist anymore or not seen them. Been looking on Picture Sheffield site looking at photos of Plumper's pub and the Albert I'm trying to place where they stood and what is their now around this area looks quite built up the only thing that looks familiar is Norfolk bridge. Did anyone on here go in the Plumper's or the Albert what can you recall?

Sutherland St. runs from roughly GG's Cafe/Ford dealers over to the bottom of Gower St. where five roads meet at the roundabout. Greystock St. is not very far away and is only a little road that runs off Princess St. parallel to Saville St.

Here is a map with blue arrows showing the locations of the two streets as correctly described by Beamish, but Greystock Street used to be much longer, extending beyond Sutherland Street (broken line on the map) and the Plumpers and Albert were on opposite corners at this junction. This old O.S. map shows the locations of the two pubs.

my family came from Greystock street near the corner with Norry street they moved just before the war when the houses were pulled down,We always said they called my Dad after the Albert pub.

Here is a map with blue arrows showing the locations of the two streets as correctly described by Beamish, but Greystock Street used to be much longer, extending beyond Sutherland Street (broken line on the map) and the Plumpers and Albert were on opposite corners at this junction. This old O.S. map shows the locations of the two pubs.

On the old map.

I started work in 1957 and Greystock St was the entrance to Spear and Jackson. It ran for about 200yds into the works and on the LHS was the saw smithers and on the RHS was the Lab and melting shop The Plumpers was the pub used by the men from the melt shop and was known to serve in the middle of the night.

On the corner plot no 34 was Jim Sawles sandwich shop,32 was a paper shop and 39 was Peels Butchers

Lots of good memories from them days.

Jim Sawles "Prem and Picallili" sandwiches were legendary.

On the old map.

I started work in 1957 and Greystock St was the entrance to Spear and Jackson. It ran for about 200yds into the works and on the LHS was the saw smithers and on the RHS was the Lab and melting shop The Plumpers was the pub used by the men from the melt shop and was known to serve in the middle of the night.

On the corner plot no 34 was Jim Sawles sandwich shop,32 was a paper shop and 39 was Peels Butchers

Lots of good memories from them days.

Jim Sawles "Prem and Picallili" sandwiches were legendary.

I used to love prem when I were a lad. God knows what it was made from. :)

It was almost the same as 'Spam', except the stuff you and I had was made by the local butcher. Another name for it was Luncheon Meat (I ask you?)

It was almost the same as 'Spam', except the stuff you and I had was made by the local butcher. Another name for it was Luncheon Meat (I ask you?)

I googled it and all the illustrations show it in Spam type tins but I remember it being round and about five or six inches in diameter. They used to slice it for you on a bacon slicer and I didn't realise it was a brand name.

I googled it and all the illustrations show it in Spam type tins but I remember it being round and about five or six inches in diameter. They used to slice it for you on a bacon slicer and I didn't realise it was a brand name.

You're right Jim, the dimensions etc and it wasn't a brand name, one asked for

'Prem'. I think the Luncheon Meat term might have been used in more affluent areas of Sheffield. God forbid they had to eat it.

---------- Post added 05-03-2015 at 20:57 ----------

The older map revealed a new one to me 'Cricket Ball Inn', sounds like two pub names in one. With it's proximity to heavy industry -e.g.Firth-Brown's- it probably fell victim to the Luftwaffe. Wonder if any other place took it's name?

The cricket ball was still there in the sixties, Mark had the plumpers at the time and the steelworkers at the time would send the "can lad" to the pub at break time with all their mashing cans to be filled with beer (Tetleys) and then go in each Friday to settle their strap accounts.

The Plumpers on Greystock street was a beer only house.

The cricket ball was still there in the sixties, Mark had the plumpers at the time and the steelworkers at the time would send the "can lad" to the pub at break time with all their mashing cans to be filled with beer (Tetleys) and then go in each Friday to settle their strap accounts.

The Plumpers on Greystock street was a beer only house.

This is a true story......'onest

One day,circa 1960, a car ran into The Cricket Ball and the driver was taken into Spears H dept office which was next door. The driver was Fred Trueman who was on his way to play for Yorkshire at Bramall Lane. The story spread quickly round the works and I remember going to nosey.

That night The Star told the story how the famous Yorkshire bowler had run into " A Cricket Ball"

My father ( 76 years old) still calls spam and other similar "chopped pork and ham" type meats/ luncheon meat "Prem".