Remember the old I SPY books.

Do you remember the little booklets that you could buy on subjects such as post boxes, chimneys etc. The items were usually different than normal and were found all over the country. If you saw one you would write on the page the

date you saw it. Never got close to filling a book but it was fun when you found one of the objects. Oh the joys of childhood back in the 50s.

Published by Ladybird if I recall correctly.

It was hard to use them properly as it was so ingrained in us that one does not damage a book and pencil marks would have been damage.

I loved them. I wonder if there is an Andriod app?

I've still got mine but still haven't filled the books..;) There's a Wikipedia article about them here. The books were the invention of a schoolteacher, Charles Warrell or "Big Chief I-Spy" who lived to the ripe old age of 106 - there's an obituary here (I wonder if he filled his own books?).:P

Edited by hillsbro

As soon as I saw the thread title and that Hillsboro was the last poster, I predicted before clicking that he would still have his copies !! :)

I remember them and being in the 'Tribe' (and wearing the badge). I slightly recall too, the secret messages published in the 'News Chronicle' which we had to decode.

Googling also reminded me of a book in grandad's book-case.. News Chronicle's Everything Within... and a small punt wager says that Hillsboro has a copy of this too..:hihi:

Hi handypandy - well, I'd like to say I still have my copy of "Everything Within" but I haven't (unless it's in the loft - must have a look sometime...). But I do still have my I-Spy badge..:P

I remember taking I SPY at the Seaside to Scarborough the first time we went on the coach. I brought it back without anything filled in. Must have been the absence of giant crabs, dolphins or a salty old fisherman sat on the rocks that put me off

Hi All,

I still have my 'News Chronicle I-SPY No.15' on aircraft. Amongst other aircraft is a Lockheed Constellation I entered on 25th June 1957 at London Airport on a school trip. I also have a photo of the aircraft which I snapped at the time.

Also have 'I-SPY No. 16' on cars and have completed most of the entries. Lovely to note again all the old cars and the roads I saw them on in 1957.

Also have two similar books from the same era as the 'I Spy'. These are by John Dudley and titled 'ABC British Cars' published by Ian Allen Ltd. They are in the form of an A-Z of cars with photographs and specifications. I still enjoyed looking for the cars though and in recent years have had and still have a classic car. Love 'em.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

These books are available again after being re introduced by Michelin.

£2.50 each on Amazon or £2.25 from WH Smiths.

Still good entertainment and value for my grandchildren when in the car or out and about

These books are available again after being re introduced by Michelin.

£2.50 each on Amazon or £2.25 from WH Smiths.

Still good entertainment and value for my grandchildren when in the car or out and about

You beat me to it............. My sister and myself had loads of these I SPY books, we loved them. I now buy them for my grandchildren. :)

This was my holiday treat - when Mum took me off to the newsagents to get an I Spy book and a Beano or Dandy Summer Special, I knew we were only days away from going away to the seaside - Bridlington/Scarborough when I was really young - Blackpool and Gt Yarmouth when got a bit older